Menu

Story of the World (grades question)

AJ1972

I am interested in purchasing SOTW for my children (for the fall) grades 1 and 4.

I have a question. Is it one book for the 4 grades, or do you buy the grades individually (grade 1, grade 2...)?

If it is one book for all 4 grades, how does that work? Is it too easy for a 4th grader and too difficult for a 1st grader? How can 1st and 4th grade be on the same level (in the same book)?

You use one book per year, but you can adapt book one for use in any of grades 1-4, adapt book 2 for use in any of the grades 2-7, etc.

If I were using book 1 for a 1st grader and a 4th grader, I would sit and read the section aloud with both kids listening. I would expect the younger child to answer questions orally, tell me what he or she remembered of the story, perhaps draw a picture, look at a map, and listen in to a related picture book or two later in the week. (Some 1st graders can read to themselves, others will need books read aloud. Either is fine.) For the fourth grader, I would expect him or her to answer questions orally, write a 2-3 sentence summary of the section (perhaps with additional help and guidance at the beginning of the year), do the map work from the Activity Guide (and perhaps add in additional locations of importance by referring to a children's atlas), read the referenced pages from Kingfisher (page numbers are in the AG), mark important dates on a timeline (in book or wall-poster form), and read from additional library books (literature and non-fiction) about the time and place covered in SOTW. I would pick *some* of the activities in the AG to do together with both kids through the year.

So, both kids are covering the same material in SOTW, but you're asking more of the older student. More writing, more timeline work, more map work, and a higher level of outside reading. The younger child would be gaining exposure to the material covered.

The level of the books increases a bit each year, both in terms of reading level and the depth of content. I would also ask a little more of each child each year as they get older. So by the time the oldest child is in 8th grade, he or she would be writing outlines of chapters, detailed summaries, occasional essay responses, etc.

The Activity Guide will be very helpful. It offers review questions, samples of the "narrations" you'd want from the kids (oral from the younger child, written from the older), map work, additional reading suggestions, and activities (from which you'd pick and choose over the course of the year).

I've used SOTW for 1st-4th, and my sister used the books for 5th-8th. It is a read-aloud narrative history of the world that appeals to children as well as adults! In my humble opinion, it is the depth of understanding and additional activities that you would tailor to fit your student's needs. For 1st grade, we used it as a read-aloud, did very simple oral narrations, enjoyed supplemental picture books, and did several fun, age-appropriate activities. In 4th grade, or higher, you could have a child read independently, write narrations or outline, and read supplemental chapter books. I love SOTW for that very reason. It is a fabulous thing to be able to share history reading as a family.

You use one book per year, but you can adapt book one for use in any of grades 1-4, adapt book 2 for use in any of the grades 2-7, etc.

If I were using book 1 for a 1st grader and a 4th grader, I would sit and read the section aloud with both kids listening. I would expect the younger child to answer questions orally, tell me what he or she remembered of the story, perhaps draw a picture, look at a map, and listen in to a related picture book or two later in the week. (Some 1st graders can read to themselves, others will need books read aloud. Either is fine.) For the fourth grader, I would expect him or her to answer questions orally, write a 2-3 sentence summary of the section (perhaps with additional help and guidance at the beginning of the year), do the map work from the Activity Guide (and perhaps add in additional locations of importance by referring to a children's atlas), read the referenced pages from Kingfisher (page numbers are in the AG), mark important dates on a timeline (in book or wall-poster form), and read from additional library books (literature and non-fiction) about the time and place covered in SOTW. I would pick *some* of the activities in the AG to do together with both kids through the year.

So, both kids are covering the same material in SOTW, but you're asking more of the older student. More writing, more timeline work, more map work, and a higher level of outside reading. The younger child would be gaining exposure to the material covered.

The level of the books increases a bit each year, both in terms of reading level and the depth of content. I would also ask a little more of each child each year as they get older. So by the time the oldest child is in 8th grade, he or she would be writing outlines of chapters, detailed summaries, occasional essay responses, etc.

The Activity Guide will be very helpful. It offers review questions, samples of the "narrations" you'd want from the kids (oral from the younger child, written from the older), map work, additional reading suggestions, and activities (from which you'd pick and choose over the course of the year).

If I had known Abbey was answering, I would have just let her detailed and eloquent reply say it all. :001_smile:

We were late jumping in with SOTW but my dd loves them. She is in 5th right now and reading through book 3. I haven't been able to follow a classical history schedule so it makes it a little hard to do the books with the recommended ages, imo. I was going to let her do book 1 next year for 6th (which is old) but she loves the content. I plan on combining it with another history program though, like MOH. Has anyone else used the SOTW books with the older kids and combined them with something else? We are doing Ancient Civilization next year.

Go to the bookstore or library and grab a copy to see for yourself, then see if it suits your family :).

My 8YO does fine with it as a supplement-- one component of History Odyssey-- but my 11YO already finds them too babyish and below his reading level. The 8YO kind of rolls his eyes about all the "imagine you're on a magic carpet" parts, so I try to edit that out now :). He'd rather just go to the map and find the places himself, and that works out just fine.

I could not imagine using this book series in logic stage, but many people here do so, quite successfully. At both levels, we supplement heavily with outside readings and resources though. HO makes a lot of great suggestions for additional books to read, and we find a lot more on the shelves at our library.

We love SOTW! Depends on your child. My 8-year-old imagined himself on the carpet ride all the time. He's an imaginative, active, and thinking child.

Next year we're going to do HO Early Modern Level 1, which includes SOTW 3. I'm still debating if I should add the AG or keep the HO only.