Menu

s/o baby food

Do people still follow the one food at a time rule when introducing food to babies? If yes, what's the order? Do people still do baby cereal at all?

Food is my weak area. I try, but I'm not great at it. With my babies, I would always either start them on baby cereal or carrots. Then they would eat that for a week or two before I added another food, a green vegetable. Then more veggies one at a time. Eventually I'd add fruit.

I've heard to start them on veggies rather fruit.

Anyway, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to food. My other thread on baby food has got me thinking.

I didn't introduce solids in any particular order. I didn't use baby food I just steamed veggies soft but not soft enough to mush up in their hands and let them feed themselves with their hands right from the beginning. I did mostly veggies and fruits for the first foods and just gave them something I was making anyway for my older kids.

I breastfed my kiddos. I went with LLL's recommendations for introducing food. We waited till 6 months and all my boys started with finger foods. We never purchased canned baby food ever. It depended on the child what their first food was, because of individual reactions to certain foods in my diet. I did try pureeing food with all of them. They thought that was silly. :glare: My husband still teases me that he got me a baby food grinder and I never used it.

DS1 had multiple severe allergies. We waited a week or more for each new food. We did start with homemade cereal. DS2 we started slowly but after a couple months we went faster. He started with smushy things like bananas and sweet potatoes. I never made"baby cereal" for him.

I don't have a special order, but I did stick to one new food at a time. My 1st had slight reactions to blueberries and peanuts, so I wanted to be sure of everything with the other kids.

I did skip baby cereals. By the time we got to grains, he had real rice, real oatmeal, real wheat bread, etc.

With our last foster baby, we loosely followed this:

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/solidfoodchartbyfood.htm

If you scroll down, there is a page for each age grouping.

ETA: I did this because I, of course, didn't nurse her. If you are nursing,

I wouldn't worry about it at all. I'd just wait and then let them have whatever they seemed interested in.

Edited by 2J5M9K

With ds2 he nursed almost exclusively for 9 months (tried baby cereal/food and he wanted nothing to do with it). Around 9 mos I gave him half of a banana to gnaw on and then I believe the next food was avocado. After that I just gave him big pieces (too big for him to shove in his mouth) of soft foods we were eating and then slowly moved on to cutting it into little pieces once he was ready for that. We do not have a history of food allergies so I didn't worry too much about that... figured I'd deal with it if/when it happened. :)

I didn't introduce solids in any particular order. I didn't use baby food I just steamed veggies soft but not soft enough to mush up in their hands and let them feed themselves with their hands right from the beginning. I did mostly veggies and fruits for the first foods and just gave them something I was making anyway for my older kids.

Same here. After my first, I just waited until they wanted to eat (10 months or so) and then fed them whatever real food we were having.

With the first, I did the on-schedule push-jar-babyfood-in-baby-tongue-pushes-it-out thing, and then abandoned that plan with the next two. :lol: