Menu

Coconut Oil for Alzheimer's and Brain Fog

For memory and brain fog problems, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get B12 levels tested. Talk to your doctor about getting a serum B12 test or even an uMMA test (unrinary methylmalonic acid). I'd want a specific test.

Those at risk: vegans, vegetarians; heavy drinkers; people with celiac or Crohn's disease; people who take metformin (Glucophage); people who have had stomach surgery like gastric bypass.

Some people do not make enough intrinsic factor which is needed for B12 absorption. My grandma was one and went on to develop pernicious anemia which she dealt with by giving herself B12 injections.

Many elderly people also do not make enough acid in their stomachs to break down and absorb the B12, either. People who take acid suppressants could be at risk, too.

Before getting tested, stop taking B vitamins with folic acid. Folic acid can mask a B12 deficiency.

If you are deficient, injections are probably the best way to go initially and possibly long-term. You'd have to ask your doctor.

Just throwing this out there to consider.

Awesome post. :iagree:

Thanks for this thread. Coconut oil has randomly been brought to my attention 3 times in a week, so I feel like someone is trying to tell me something :001_smile:. My best friend is caring for her mother with dementia, as am I, and she sent me the video linked by the OP. We're both going to try it out, for our mothers, as well as our families.

I'm not expecting miracles, but any improvement would be awesome!

Thanks for this thread. Coconut oil has randomly been brought to my attention 3 times in a week, so I feel like someone is trying to tell me something :001_smile:. My best friend is caring for her mother with dementia, as am I, and she sent me the video linked by the OP. We're both going to try it out, for our mothers, as well as our families.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I hope it helps.

So it should be okay to use then? I've never opened it.

I would think it would be fine. Make sure you don't have hydrogenated. Which I would think you don't since it is liquid. What brand did you buy? Is it virgin or organic, or both?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_oil

Aside: Just read the whole wiki article and saw that coconut oil can damage c*nd*ms :001_huh: Some PPs might want that info!

You're welcome. I am also using it for my elderly MIL who has stage 7 Alz. It seems to be helping with some things. Maybe I can post more later when she's been taking it longer. Of course, we know there is no cure for Alz., but if it makes her life more pleasant while she's still here, it will be worth it.

I do, too.

Has anyone read Dr. Newport's book? I see it is out of stock at Amazon.

So it should be okay to use then? I've never opened it.

Yes. It should be okay.

When we moved to our current house, it was over 100 degrees. The mover unwrapped the coconut oil and was really surprised because, by contract, she wasn't supposed to have packed any liquids. I assured her it had been solid when she packed it . :lol: She didn't seem to believe me. :tongue_smilie:

I would think it would be fine. Make sure you don't have hydrogenated. Which I would think you don't since it is liquid. What brand did you buy? Is it virgin or organic, or both?

I have this one. Although mine says it's extra virgin, but it looks nothing like that picture. Mine is looks like clear liquid and milk that have separated. I guess that's why I was scared to use it, but maybe it is just the heat here?

You're welcome. I am also using it for my elderly MIL who has stage 7 Alz. It seems to be helping with some things. Maybe I can post more later when she's been taking it longer. Of course, we know there is no cure for Alz., but if it makes her life more pleasant while she's still here, it will be worth it.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I'm so sorry for all of you who are dealing with Alzheimer's in your loved ones. :( It's such a dreadful disease I know. :(

Yes. It should be okay.

When we moved to our current house, it was over 100 degrees. The mover unwrapped the coconut oil and was really surprised because, by contract, she wasn't supposed to have packed any liquids. I assured her it had been solid when she packed it in the rainy PNW. :lol: She didn't seem to believe me. :tongue_smilie:

Phew! Thank you for the reassurance. :) Looks like I have some cooking to do now! :)

I have been a coconut oil user for a few years now but I never made sure my dh was using it regularly. I told him about this video. He has complained of brain fog for years. A couple of days ago I started adding a tablespoon to his morning smoothie and he said he has noticed a small difference in his mental clarity at the end of the day. Normally I would say it was the power of suggestion but he only drinks the green smoothie to humour me so we shall see. I am going to keep adding it and see where we are in a couple of weeks.

Thanks so much!

:grouphug: Yes, please post what differences/improvements you see and I'll do the same. That's what my friend and I are doing, bouncing ideas off each other on things that seem to help/harm, etc.

I'm curious, does your MIL crave sweets? My friend and I had commented to each other last year that our mom's both crave chocolate and sweets. My mom and dad keep those giant Hershey's Symphony bars in the freezer. After watching the video it struck me that *glucose* was being blocked from the brain. I have to wonder if her body isn't telling her that's what she needs, but she can't process it!

In any event, it's fascinating stuff, and I'm anxious to learn more!

Thanks so much!

:grouphug: Yes, please post what differences/improvements you see and I'll do the same. That's what my friend and I are doing, bouncing ideas off each other on things that seem to help/harm, etc.

I'm curious, does your MIL crave sweets? My friend and I had commented to each other last year that our mom's both crave chocolate and sweets. My mom and dad keep those giant Hershey's Symphony bars in the freezer. After watching the video it struck me that *glucose* was being blocked from the brain. I have to wonder if her body isn't telling her that's what she needs, but she can't process it!

In any event, it's fascinating stuff, and I'm anxious to learn more!

Yes. She has been known to have a sweet tooth for years. She's had (known)Alz for about 8 years. One of her favorite things in the whole world is the chocolate flavored Ensure drink, which I tried one time and almost gagged :tongue_smilie:.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my first jar of cold-pressed unrefined coconut oil this morning! In small nibbles it wasn't bad, but it was hard to just *take* a Tbs. by itself. My husband thought he could do it, then he got a bit of that "I'm going to hurl" look, but he managed it get it down after it melted in his mouth.

I did this for my Mom and me (DH tried to eat all of mine--I had to snatch it away. Not that I blame him, since he suffered through being the first guinea pig.):

2 Tbs. coconut oil, softened (it took about 20 seconds in the microwave.)

1.5 Tbs. cocoa

2 tsp. honey

3 Tbs. old fashioned oats, raw (more or less, depending on how thick you want it--I was going for no-bake cookie thickness)

Mix together the oil, cocoa and honey...you might taste it to see if it's sweet enough for you. Add the oats and stir to coat with the chocolate mixture. Eat with a spoon! :-)

The cold-pressed was more expensive than the expeller pressed. Is there an advantage to using the cold-pressed over the other kind? Both said unrefined/organic.

• 2 weeks later...

If one happened to live in a land of no coconut oil (processed) but surrounded by coconut trees, what would be the best method of acquiring said oil, or would making coconut milk (we just use a blender with coco meat and water) do? Any idea how much coco oil in freshly made milk?

If one happened to live in a land of no coconut oil (processed) but surrounded by coconut trees, what would be the best method of acquiring said oil, or would making coconut milk (we just use a blender with coco meat and water) do? Any idea how much coco oil in freshly made milk?

Here's a link to making coconut milk with dried coconut - I'd think a similar method would work with fresh coconut:

http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/index.cfm/2009/12/11/homemade-coconut-milk

I bought my first jar of cold-pressed unrefined coconut oil this morning! In small nibbles it wasn't bad, but it was hard to just *take* a Tbs. by itself. My husband thought he could do it, then he got a bit of that "I'm going to hurl" look, but he managed it get it down after it melted in his mouth.

I did this for my Mom and me (DH tried to eat all of mine--I had to snatch it away. Not that I blame him, since he suffered through being the first guinea pig.):

2 Tbs. coconut oil, softened (it took about 20 seconds in the microwave.)

1.5 Tbs. cocoa

2 tsp. honey

3 Tbs. old fashioned oats, raw (more or less, depending on how thick you want it--I was going for no-bake cookie thickness)

Mix together the oil, cocoa and honey...you might taste it to see if it's sweet enough for you. Add the oats and stir to coat with the chocolate mixture. Eat with a spoon! :-)

The cold-pressed was more expensive than the expeller pressed. Is there an advantage to using the cold-pressed over the other kind? Both said unrefined/organic.

Thank you for this idea. I did not gag one time this morning!! :)