Menu

Coconut Oil for Alzheimer's and Brain Fog

My dad started adding it to hos coffee and it helped clear up brain fog for him. He was already low-carb (for diabetes) which helped, but adding the coconut oil seemed to finish the job. He said he can think like he's twenty years younger again.

Do you know how much he eats per day?

Dh uses about 1/2T a day, more or less; also says it helps.

I cook and bake exclusively with coconut oil (I use it to replace the butter or oil in the recipe). Note: I use the UNFLAVORED version, which really is unflavored, to avoid everything tasting like coconut. Slightly more expensive than the flavored, but SO much more versatile to use.

I've also read that, if you are taking coconut oil for health reasons, to be sure you get the kind that is cold-pressed, organic, virgin/raw, etc. If the oil has been processed through chemical or heat means, you lose some of the benefits.

I usually order a 5-gallon-tub (no kidding) from Wilderness Family Naturals. On a per-pound basis, it's one of the best deals I've found.

I'm getting really frustrated. I can only get the video to play to a point. When they show and discuss researchers, it just stops on me.

What I watched fascinated me. I brought my mom home to live with us after my dad died. She had end stage dementia. I saw about two years of her progression reverse once I started her on fish oil. My brother and sister also noticed a remarkable difference.

I'm getting really frustrated. I can only get the video to play to a point. When they show and discuss researchers, it just stops on me.

What I watched fascinated me. I brought my mom home to live with us after my dad died. She had end stage dementia. I saw about two years of her progression reverse once I started her on fish oil. My brother and sister also noticed a remarkable difference.

I sure notice a difference in mental clarity when I stay caught up on my fish oil!

Happy2BaMom, how long does coconut oil keep? Does it go rancid easily? Can you use it at high temperatures? (I am, after all these years, just now learning about how not all oils should be used at high temps...sheesh, took me long enough!)

I sure notice a difference in mental clarity when I stay caught up on my fish oil!

Happy2BaMom, how long does coconut oil keep? Does it go rancid easily? Can you use it at high temperatures? (I am, after all these years, just now learning about how not all oils should be used at high temps...sheesh, took me long enough!)

I justmadded some to my coffee as Hoppy's dad does. You can see the oil floating on the top but can't taste it. I'm going to try this with tea tomorrow.

CO does not go rancid and keeps longer than other oils. It can be used at high temps. I've been reading about it since I opened this thread. There is a TON of info on it.

I justmadded some to my coffee as Hoppy's dad does. You can see the oil floating on the top but can't taste it. I'm going to try this with tea tomorrow.

CO does not go rancid and keeps longer than other oils. It can be used at high temps. I've been reading about it since I opened this thread. There is a TON of info on it.

Thanks, Denise! I am going to have to get some and give it a try.

Now, see, I take fish oil all the time and it doesn't help the fog! But I'm willing to try this to see if it works.

I cook and bake exclusively with coconut oil (I use it to replace the butter or oil in the recipe). Note: I use the UNFLAVORED version, which really is unflavored, to avoid everything tasting like coconut. Slightly more expensive than the flavored, but SO much more versatile to use.

I've also read that, if you are taking coconut oil for health reasons, to be sure you get the kind that is cold-pressed, organic, virgin/raw, etc. If the oil has been processed through chemical or heat means, you lose some of the benefits.

I usually order a 5-gallon-tub (no kidding) from Wilderness Family Naturals. On a per-pound basis, it's one of the best deals I've found.

Thank you for your post and for the link. I appreciate it!

My understanding that an oil is OK/non-damaging until shortly before it starts to smoke, and that coconut oil is good until heating to about 350 degrees (this is stove-top, not baking). Most other vegetable oils start to smoke before that.

I don't know on the stats for how long coconut oil keeps, but I'm nearing the bottom of my last 5-gallon bucket after a little over two years & it still is completely fine.

you should compare shop for coconut oils. I use it for making soap and have a large tub of it. It may not be "technically" food grade if that is a concern for you.

Also, if you have an ethnic market near you (Indian or Caribbean is best) they often have the 14-15oz jars at a fraction of what you find at the whole foods type stores.

Just FYI

So from that site, the Expeller Pressed oil would be the most flavorless?

So since yesterday, I've taken 2 tbsp, and I have to say, I can see an immediate difference. I had virgin organic coconut oil in the house already though (I'm ordering the tub today) and I added my first tbsp to my tea. YUCK. Never again. BUT, by dinner time, when I hit my worst fog of the day, I didn't. And, I didn't have problems finding the right noun for the rest of the day. ;)

Hey wait! I thought brain fog came from raising three boys that are eating me out of house and home and doing other extreme boy things that make my brain stop functioning...don't ask what they were doing with a bunsen burner the other day??????????

If I feed them the coconut oil, will my brain feel better? :D

Sigh, not likely. I use coconut oil for a lot of my cooking and baking and I make lotions out of it for our skin....best stuff ever. I guess I should be taking some raw each day....maybe it will help me overcome this mental problem I have when Mr. I hate math, rolls his eyes and sighs one too many times over his assignments.

Then again, probably the only cure for that is matriculation to a university many, many miles away from his mother!:glare:

Faith

how much fish oil do you take? I'm so foggy that some days it is just easier to not talk. let alone try to do anything else.

If you don't drink coffee or eat oatmeal, how do you consume a tablespoon of coconut oil?

I guess you could melt it and then make an oil and vinegar salad dressing for your salad.

Or blend it in with your yoghurt or smoothie.

Melt some over a baked potato.

Pop your popcorn in it :lurk5: !

So since yesterday, I've taken 2 tbsp, and I have to say, I can see an immediate difference. I had virgin organic coconut oil in the house already though (I'm ordering the tub today) and I added my first tbsp to my tea. YUCK. Never again. BUT, by dinner time, when I hit my worst fog of the day, I didn't. And, I didn't have problems finding the right noun for the rest of the day. ;)

This post makes me happy :001_smile:

how much fish oil do you take? I'm so foggy that some days it is just easier to not talk. let alone try to do anything else.

I take 1000mg a day, *when* I remember. Honestly, I think it stabilizes my mood more than clears the brain fog. Maybe if I add the coconut oil I will actually REMEMBER to take the fish oil!!!

FWIW, I also take 2000IUs Vitamin D on days I remember the fish oil.

If you don't drink coffee or eat oatmeal, how do you consume a tablespoon of coconut oil?

Good question. :bigear: I guess if you stir it into thick Greek yogurt and add some granola you could have a breakfast parfait.

I take 1000mg a day, *when* I remember. Honestly, I think it stabilizes my mood more than clears the brain fog. Maybe if I add the coconut oil I will actually REMEMBER to take the fish oil!!!

FWIW, I also take 2000IUs Vitamin D on days I remember the fish oil.

Good question. :bigear: I guess if you stir it into thick Greek yogurt and add some granola you could have a breakfast parfait.

Dar n autocorrect....

The fish oil totally stabilizes my moods. When I take it faithfully, I can only tell I have PMS by a slight loss in patience. But it never helped the fog. I take 8000 d3, b complex, magnesium, zinc, a plant derived iron and flaxseed because it has a synergistic effect withthe fish oil.

Today I added the coconut oil to oatmeal, used it in jasmine ric, and used it in place of evolve to salute garlic and onion.

Have you heard about this?

I noticed from a January thread that many of us use coconut oil.

There are several YouTube videos about it; this is just one of them.

Thanks! I have some in the cupboard that I rarely use, but I'll have to give this a try. I've used it to make granola and I'll add more next time.

today is dh and my first day on coconut oil. Both of us thought we had clearer thinking and less fog. But, we also added nutritional yeast to our daily eating, so I'm not sure if it is the coconut oil alone or the combination. I know I had more energy and felt better than yesterday.

Some asked about fish oil. A few years ago, one of my docs suggested it for migraines. It has really helped with the migraines but I'm not sure about anything else like PMS or brain fog.

I guess you could melt it and then make an oil and vinegar salad dressing for your salad.

I tried this two nights ago. I made a delicious sesame dressing to serve over spinach salad. :001_smile:

However

The next day I tried to reheat the dressing (to melt the solid coconut oil) for a lunch salad. I nuked it without the lid until the oil started to melt. I put the lid on the warm bottle and proceeded to shake it. Bad move! :001_huh: The pressure popped the edge of the lid up, and sprayed dressing ALL OVER my kitchen. :glare: Because my house is a bit chilly, I had what looked like shortening, with sesame seeds embedded in it, streaked across my appliances, walls, cabinets, etc. :glare::lol: Yeah, it was that kind of day. :tongue_smilie:

Melt it then mix it with a Tbls of cocoa and drizzle some honey with it. If absolutely necessary, poor over a coconut macaroon

The macaroon sounds very necessary! :D

I melted 1/2 tablespoon in a shot glass and stirred in melted carob chips. Oh my! :001_smile: It was really yummy, and not greasy tasting like I expected it to be. Unfortunately, it gave me really bad heartburn!

For memory and brain fog problems, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get B12 levels tested. Talk to your doctor about getting a serum B12 test or even an uMMA test (unrinary methylmalonic acid). I'd want a specific test.

Those at risk: vegans, vegetarians; heavy drinkers; people with celiac or Crohn's disease; people who take metformin (Glucophage); people who have had stomach surgery like gastric bypass.

Some people do not make enough intrinsic factor which is needed for B12 absorption. My grandma was one and went on to develop pernicious anemia which she dealt with by giving herself B12 injections.

Many elderly people also do not make enough acid in their stomachs to break down and absorb the B12, either. People who take acid suppressants could be at risk, too.

Before getting tested, stop taking B vitamins with folic acid. Folic acid can mask a B12 deficiency.

If you are deficient, injections are probably the best way to go initially and possibly long-term. You'd have to ask your doctor.

Just throwing this out there to consider.

At the rate my brain is deteriorating, I'd need to just replace the 64 oz of water a day with coconut oil.

I love coconut oil - I'll eat a spoonful by itself, in a smoothie, or well, in most ways listed in this thread. I had stopped taking it daily, and the brain fog came back in a most overwhelming way, but now that I'm starting the day with a spoonful in my coffee, it's all good again! That sounded really weird to me, but if you read the labels on powdered coffee creamers, most are made with either coconut or palm oil, so I figure it's just a little more! :tongue_smilie:

I tried this two nights ago. I made a delicious sesame dressing to serve over spinach salad. :001_smile:

However

The next day I tried to reheat the dressing (to melt the solid coconut oil) for a lunch salad. I nuked it without the lid until the oil started to melt. I put the lid on the warm bottle and proceeded to shake it. Bad move! :001_huh: The pressure popped the edge of the lid up, and sprayed dressing ALL OVER my kitchen. :glare: Because my house is a bit chilly, I had what looked like shortening, with sesame seeds embedded in it, streaked across my appliances, walls, cabinets, etc. :glare::lol: Yeah, it was that kind of day. :tongue_smilie:

Oh wow. I believe I should apologize :grouphug: I'm sorry!

Now on the bright side, your kitchen cabinets and floor have probably never looked nicer :D

Hang in there. And thanks for the heads up.

Oh wow. I believe I should apologize :grouphug: I'm sorry!

Now on the bright side, your kitchen cabinets and floor have probably never looked nicer :D

Hang in there. And thanks for the heads up.

:lol: I don't hold you responsible. :lol: I knew not to blend hot liquids in the blender, I just hadn't made the generalization to this scenario. Must be the brain fog! :lol: :tongue_smilie:

Coconut oil is a saturated fat, so it is very stable. All those "healthy" unsaturated vegetable oils that people push are the ones that go rancid easily. Even olive oil (which is fine to use) should be kept in a dark bottle to store longer.

I had some organic coconut oil that was clear when I bought it and then it turned milky white is that normal? Is it still good?

I had some organic coconut oil that was clear when I bought it and then it turned milky white is that normal? Is it still good?

The only coconut oil I've seen and used comes in a jar or tub and looks like white lard.

I see where you live now. It probably doesn't get cold enough to harden.