Menu

not getting movies?

MegP

Is it common for a SN kid to not get more subtle clues in books/movies? I keep having to pause movies and explain what is going on... because my son gets all lost and confused. He has dyslexia...would that be the cause of his confusion?

Edited by MegP

I don't know if it is common or not. But this has never been the case for my dyslexic son. He has always had profoundly deep understanding of movies and books read to him ....I would say far more so than his NT sister.

Do you know if your child have some receptive language issues?

My dd is like this. She understands a lot from visual cues, body language, etc. But a lot of the dialog goes over her head. Children/tween shows are OK, but anything with a more subtle plotline, higher level of vocabulary, or anything that depends in large part on the dialog for understanding, has to be explained. When she was younger, she would ignore parts of movies, or want to fast-forward, saying "It's just blabbing.". She also prefers movies with real people over animation; I think it's because it is easier to read people's body language. Without those subleties to observe which are missing in a animation, it is harder for her to follow.

She is severely dyslexic, with some mild receptive and expressive language issues. This is a specific battery of tests, usually done by a speech language pathologist.

So is there any value in trying to see if I can find an SLP to test my son for APD? How much does this cost? Do I need an audiologist?

How do you even treat this? How do I know if the receptive language issues are stemming from the dyslexia, vs a separate diagnosis of APD?

My son (who is not dyslexic, but has other issues) doesn't usually understand age appropriate TV or movies, or even many children's books. It's partly due to receptive language delays, partly a processing issue, and partly because he's extremely literal. He also has memory deficits, and it's hard for him to remember what's happening as it goes along.

In your position, I think I'd start with having an SLP do a receptive language evaluation, to insure that he has developmentally appropriate language skills.

I remember that my middle dd got completely lost and confused watching the first High School Musical. I think she was 11yo at the time. She didn't understand why the basketball player was afraid that his friends would think less of him for singing when they were all singing while playing basketball. She didn't get the whole concept of a musical.

She also completely lost it when watching Sky High. The main character (who was Good) did a Bad thing. She didn't get how a Good person could do something that was Bad. You are either Good or Bad. She was around 10yo at the time.

Both my older girls are Aspie.

Thank you! I have been reading about APD vs receptive language issues-they apparently are not the same thing.

Here are a few more concerns I have (been reading the Eide's Mislabelled Child book)

1. Difficulty understanding figures of speech "he's a real piece of work"when asked what this means, he said, "He works hard."

I asked him what this sentence means: "John is very bright. He thought this meant John is happy. I asked about the figure of speech, "I see the light at the end of the tunnel" and he had no idea what that meant. When are kids supposed to understand these? Maybe I don't use them enough myself, and it is a lack of exposure issue?

2. Struggles to understand the subtle nuances in literature or in movies. Misses a lot of inferred points in stories. Gets the main "jist" but misses the details.

3. Struggles to read orally with the appropriate expression

He is 12.

What says the Hive?

Edited by MegP

bumping-anyone else?

How does one differentiate between these issues being symptoms of dyslexia, vs. a separate diagnosis of receptive language disorder or something? Are there OBJECTIVE tests that SLPs can do that can tease this out?

Thank you! I have been reading about APD vs receptive language issues-they apparently are not the same thing.

Here are a few more concerns I have (been reading the Eide's Mislabelled Child book)

1. Difficulty understanding figures of speech "he's a real piece of work"when asked what this means, he said, "He works hard."

I asked him what this sentence means: "John is very bright. He thought this meant John is happy. I asked about the figure of speech, "I see the light at the end of the tunnel" and he had no idea what that meant. When are kids supposed to understand these? Maybe I don't use them enough myself, and it is a lack of exposure issue?

2. Struggles to understand the subtle nuances in literature or in movies. Misses a lot of inferred points in stories. Gets the main "jist" but misses the details.

He is 12.

What says the Hive?

Regular kids study literature in school because many of them miss the subtle nuances, inferred points and details. If he gets the main point, that's a good start. Struggling to read with appropriated expression isn't uncommon with dyslexia. It can be worked on through practice with phrasing and more reading outloud.

His not understanding idioms could be a problem, especially if he's misunderstanding those that your family commonly uses. Lack of exposure to them certainly could contribute to his not understandng them. Just because he doesn't understand them now doesn't mean he will never understand them. They can be explicitly taught. I've seen a number of materials available for teaching those in various special needs and slp catalogs. (I recently saw some from Say It Right. I tried to link it but somehow it didn't work.)

Edited by merry gardens

He is 12.

What says the Hive?

I'm not one of the SN experts, but have a probably dyslexic child. None of the above are issues--I don't think what you are describing is dyslexia per se.

But also I think some/much of this is a matter of being taught it. Expressions need to be taught just like individual words do--maybe more so. Our What Your ____ Grader Needs to Know series (I could be a bit off on title) has expressions and what they mean. I expect the internet also has lists of common expressions.

Do you mean he reads orally easily, but without emotional expression? Or that he struggles to read?

bumping-anyone else?

How does one differentiate between these issues being symptoms of dyslexia, vs. a separate diagnosis of receptive language disorder or something? Are there OBJECTIVE tests that SLPs can do that can tease this out?

I'm right there with you. At this point, I have given up on diagnoses being a "precise science". I am not a expert, but I doubt any professional is going to tell you point blank that your dc's symptoms are part of dyslexia or a separate diagnosis. They will evaluate the child, tell you where his weaknesses are, and if they meet the threshold for a specific diagnosis, they will provide that label. More than likely, they will tell you what his symptoms are (clinically evaluated, but basically what you already know), and give you ideas of what could be causing the symptoms based on measured weaknesses (language processing, weak vocabulary, slow processing speed, working memory issues, etc.) That is, they can tell you where his weaknesses lie, but not give a definitive answer on which weakness is causing which symptoms. Frustrating, I know.

When my dd was tested for dyslexia, it validated what I already knew and believed, which was great. However, I knew there was more to it, based on her receptive and expressive lang. issues. I was referred to a SLP, and was so hopeful that this testing would "get to the bottom of" her issues. In the end, I was told she was within the normal range in most areas, with "mild" or "moderate" weaknesses in a few areas. Anyone who spends large chunks of time with her would not call this "mild", but whatever.

They do have strategies to help with her issues, which can be learned through sessions with the SLP. I just really wanted a clear picture of what exactly is causing her specific issues, like what is going on inside her brain. It is fascinating to see what words she comes up with when she is searching for a label in her head, and I wish I knew how her thought process works. Unfortunately, it appears these tests will never give us these answers.

Bottom line, testing is useful, but limited. It is not a magic bullet.