Menu

Baby Food

we don't do baby food at all :):lol:

before they have teeth we give big chunks of things that they can't choke on, like apples. We give them more and more of what we are eating as time goes on. Rice, veggies, chicken, pasta. No baby food! Makes it so much easier and there is not worrying about transitioning!

Have you thought about making your own? Steam (or otherwise cook) your veggies, throw them in the blender with just a little water, freeze them in ice cube trays so you can pop out what you need. Really, just about anything can go in the blender. Other than that, mashed bananas, regular natural or organic applesauce, and you're pretty much good to go.

I made my own and froze it in ice cube trays. When they were frozen, I popped them out and put them into labelled containers or plastic bags. I bought lots of veggies about once a month and steamed and purreed them all. It took about 2 hours total. I did carrot, squash, peas, beans, yams. I mixed some with rice cereal or purreed homemade rice if they were too runny when thawed. I heated a few up at a time. Fruit was done as needed. I bought regular apple sauce and regular whole yogurt. My boys didn't eat meat at that age, so it wasn't a concern.

We did some jarred food for the twins, but no "mush" at all for DD and not much for the boys, considering. We start regular table food pretty early, and I prefer to not spoon-feed very much. I mostly did it with the boys hoping it would help reduce the formula consumption, but frankly it didn't. We usually just start them on finger-sized chunks of fruit, vegetable, or meat, around 6 months old. They get regular table food pretty young, too, by 8 or 9 months. I avoid major choking hazards like grapes or nuts for awhile (still do with the boys, I think DD got whole grapes around 1.5 or 2). Otherwise I just feed them what we're eating. The first food DD really ate was chicken tikka masala. The twins' first was roast chicken. All of mine are meat-lovers, lol.

I really like Ellyn Satter's book "Child of Mine" for feeding recommendations from birth to about age 5 or so. She suggests a fairly quick transition from puree-type foods to chunks. See the book for her developmental stage/type-of-food recommendations. Your library may have it.

ETA: All cans and glass jar lids have BPA, as far as I know.

I was just getting ready to order some Earth's Best Organic baby food for my little one, then I read through a few reviews and found out that the lids have BPA in them. :confused:

Who else makes organic baby food that is actually safe?

Earth's Best also uses a preservative that is made in China.

I don't really do baby food, they just gum on whatever we're eating, but if I grab something occasionally it's Ella's Kitchen pouches that are BPA free.

I agree with the others. It's extremely easy to make your own baby food. Annabel Karmel has a great book on this too. Mostly, I just mashed up soft things. I steamed and mashed up softer things. That's generally enough until they are old enough to eat most table foods.

I love the photos in all of her book. :) Why are people buying baby food?

I love the photos in all of her book. :) Why are people buying baby food?

I made most of dd's baby food, but I did buy organic jarred baby food when I couldn't get enough of a variety of fresh organic produce. Especially in the winter, finding organic fresh anything was pretty darn hard. I chose the jarred organic food over the fresh stuff soaked in toxins.

I made most of dd's baby food, but I did buy organic jarred baby food when I couldn't get enough of a variety of fresh organic produce. Especially in the winter, finding organic fresh anything was pretty darn hard. I chose the jarred organic food over the fresh stuff soaked in toxins.

I hate winter.

Edited by LibraryLover

I really like Ellyn Satter's book "Child of Mine" for feeding recommendations from birth to about age 5 or so. She suggests a fairly quick transition from puree-type foods to chunks. See the book for her developmental stage/type-of-food recommendations. Your library may have it.

ETA: All cans and glass jar lids have BPA, as far as I know.

:iagree: Loved and lived by this book when feeding the young kiddos.