Menu

FREE BOOK with course of study for a 19th century Classical Education

Have you seen this Course of Study?

What do you think of it?

I've always been curious what a 19th century "classical" education looked like. Now I know!

I find it interesting that the first track, for those going into professions (like lawyers and doctors) which didn't require college ;), is close to what we may consider a classical education today. Whereas the classical track, for those entering Harvard, is even more Latin-Centered than LCC! (But not in the early years... Latin and Greek study begins much later...)

It's an interesting read, certainly!

FWIW, I like his plans for the tiny ones, too. Learning the alphabet at 3, spelling 2 and 3 letter words at 4... Doable!

You're welcome! I'm having a great deal of fun studying it, and may well use it for our homeschool.

It's RIGOROUS by today's standards. Algebra begins for 11 year olds!

I also appreciate that there is no squeamishness about assigning certain skills/subjects for AGES. It certainly puts to rest the idea that "McGuffey Readers weren't really read on grade level", or other such ideas. Sure, maybe they weren't in some areas, but at least this fellow thought that students were capable of reading the original McGuffey Fourth Reader beginning in the second semester of today's third grade (age 8).

Latin begins later than in some circles today, but by the age of 12, students are tackling Caesar. Not too shabby. :)

I haven't felt this inspired for a long time. Maybe I'll even start a webpage, just to post his scope and sequence ala AO or OFE. (Okay, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here... After all, there doesn't seem to be that much interest. I'm just looney for old-fashioned, ambitious standards and books. :blush:)

Have a great day!

I'm looking forward to reading it -- it's going straight on my Kindle. How did you find this?

:iagree:

I'm considering printing it out, or buying an on-demand print. I was looking for something like this years ago, and was never able to find it. I want to know also, how did you find it?

I'm looking forward to reading it -- it's going straight on my Kindle. How did you find this?

:iagree:

I'm considering printing it out, or buying an on-demand print. I was looking for something like this years ago, and was never able to find it. I want to know also, how did you find it?

Hours of research-- and a bit of good luck! :) I've been looking for an ideal framework for our hs. I scanned through many books including the phrase "course of study" on google books search, but I wanted something that had Latin, Geography (prominent in classical education, but largely replaced by history in neo-classcial education), clear standards for each grade, that represented an ideal, etc.

William Lyon's plan doesn't have copious literature book lists. But for me, that's not a deficit. Indeed, much of the literature that I would like to assign the dc were written after this course of study was drawn up ;) Besides, I have no problem coming up with booklists. It's the general FRAMEWORK I was after.

After pouring over this plan, I would think that assigning literature reading during the "hour to an hour and a half previous study" of the plan would provide whatever was lacking in Lit. One could choose from the 1000 Good Books List, AO, or other favorite booklist.

Off to dinner!

Edited by Medieval Mom

I have to wonder if this plan was actually implemented or just proposed.

I also find it interesting that after the preparatory study, they were intended to enter college at 14, or as sophomores at 15.

I remember reading that John Adams entered college at fifteen in McCullough's biography. I don't *think* (but I don't *know*) that it was unusual at the time.

All that to say, that entering college at the age of 18 hasn't always been the standard. Or rather, it wasn't unheard of for students to enter at age 15/16.

Then again, at that time it wasn't a given that EVERYONE went to college. Indeed, in Lyon's book, he declares the classics track for those entering college as the third plan; but the first track, "Boy's School", is for those going to study for a profession, such as a doctor or lawyer, which didn't need a college education:)

Edited by Medieval Mom

Thank you for the link!

I looked up Henry Butter's The Scholar's Companion, and it has two wonderful sections on Latin and Greek derivatives.

I've been finding some good stuff, too! I love The Young Analyzer by McElligott, but I can't find a place to download it. ARgh!!!!! It's right here, but I don't have a "partner login". :banghead:

If it's "Google digitalized", why can't I find it on google books? Frustrating.

I've been finding some good stuff, too! I love The Young Analyzer by McElligott, but I can't find a place to download it. ARgh!!!!! It's right here, but I don't have a "partner login". :banghead:

If it's "Google digitalized", why can't I find it on google books? Frustrating.

You could download the pages individually and then combine them into a single PDF again. It looks like there's only 56 pages (and you could skip the covers) - it could be worse. :D

And I even managed to download it :hurray:. I'm such a sucker for these sort of things :lol:.

Did you see the amount of Geography in the younger years? And Latin and Greek in the later years?:svengo:

Any idea what the background of this William P Lyon was? ETA: found something.

Edited by Tress