Menu

Can we talk pixie cuts?

I have toyed with the idea of getting a pixie cut for a while, and once told a stylist to do it -- and he wouldn't! I think he was afraid I didn't realize how drastic it would be.

So, talk to me about pixie cuts. My hair is fine and thin. Not colored. Stick straight. Healthy, no grey. My face is oval with smaller features; I often get complimented on my lips/smile. (Just trying to help you picture my features.)

Here are some concerns...

~ I don't want to look butch. How do you make sure it's a feminine pixie?

~ My ears stick out slightly... is that going to look ridiculously elvish?

~ My neck has hair on it pretty far down. I am afraid a pixie means I'll have to have dh shave it for me often to keep from looking like a werewolf from behind... and even then, it might look stubbly/weird.

~ Larger chest. Unbalanced with a "small" head of hair?

~ I don't have hours to style it (or a lot of ability). I blow dry and style for about 10-15 minutes right now.

Okay, what say you? If you have/had a pixie, do you like it? Why or why not? What do you think about it for what you know of me?

Dh thinks I'm hot with any haircut. Dd is begging me not to even trim it (not gonna happen). What says the hive re. pixie cuts?

Pixie cuts look cute on very young, petite women. And they look okay on old ladies whose other options might be a short permed do. I would rather see a pixie on a petite older lady than a permy short cut.

But for most middle aged women, they just don't look great, and if your hair grows low on your neck, I would not do it. I might get a chin length bob and see how I liked that.

I have one. Have had it for 8 years. I LOVE IT. I will never go back.

I keep it feminine with color.

Also, make sure the person knows how to texture well. Being able to make it piecey and chunky makes a big difference in avoiding the butch look.

If you PM me with your email I'll send you a picture :D

I just clicked on your blog and saw you (when you went "ginger"). You are ADORABLE. :)

Pixie cuts look cute on very young, petite women. And they look okay on old ladies whose other options might be a short permed do. I would rather see a pixie on a petite older lady than a permy short cut.

But for most middle aged women, they just don't look great, and if your hair grows low on your neck, I would not do it. I might get a chin length bob and see how I liked that.

Hmmmm. Well, I'm petite but not young (mid-30s). I have had a chin-length bob and I like it but the pixie still beckons. The neck hair definitely holds me back though. What about if I did this?

http://beauty.about.com/od/supershorthairstyles/ss/Pixie-Hair-Photos-Of-Coolest-Pixie-Hair-Cuts_10.htm

Would that cover the neck, do you think? Or are we getting into mullet territory?

My face resembles that off a certain public figure. So much so that more than one stylist has told me, "Any way XXX wears her hair would be a good look for you."

One time my celebrity friend got a pixie cut. Not such a good look on her. So, much as I'd love to only have to bother with three inches of hair, I'll be keeping it longer.

Generally speaking (and of course just my own opinion),I think pixie cuts are only feminine if a woman is within the proper weight parameters for her height.

My face resembles that off a certain public figure. So much so that more than one stylist has told me, "Any way XXX wears her hair would be a good look for you."

One time my celebrity friend got a pixie cut. Not such a good look on her. So, much as I'd love to only have to bother with three inches of hair, I'll be keeping it longer.

Generally speaking (and of course just my own opinion),I think pixie cuts are only feminine if a woman is within the proper weight parameters for her height.

Now *that* is interesting. I have a public figure look-a-like, too, and a pixie does NOT look good on her. Hmmm. My weight is fine, though I could probably lose 5 lbs; I know what you mean about that and pixie cuts. It definitely would have been cuter with my pre-kids body...

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/hair/best-haircuts#slide-6

The pixie in this picture is not what I think of as a pixie, but it's supercute. Since the ears aren't cut out, you wouldn't have to worry about looking elf-ish.

One of my best friends is in her 40's and has a super short pixie. It looks great on her. She has curly hair; with a pixie, it's not curly, but has lots of volume. With stick straight thin hair, you might have to use a volume booster to make the cut more feminine.

I am 42 with a pixie cut--I have worn my hair this way for years. I am 4'11" and about 115 pounds. I love being able to get out of the shower, comb some gel into it, and voila, good to go. I live in hot and humid Central Florida, and am immune to the bad hair days that plague women all over the state. I do keep the back kind of fringy, not too short so it doesn't look too masculine.

The only downside--I can't go more than 5 weeks without getting it cut.

I wear my hair in a pixie and have off and on for years. It has been in a pixie for the last 5 years.

It is really hard to find someone who can do a good pixie cut IME. I usually either literally stop people I see out in public with good short cuts and ask them who cuts their hair, or I call better salons and ask who does good, short, slightly funky, razored and texturized pixies. I have had two different stylists who can do amazing cuts but I've had my share in the past that gave me terrible cuts where the pixie got poofy or just looked matronly. The good stylists can take my natural texture and razor it so that it can air dry. The bad stylists just cut it short and it would get poofy or matronly if left to air dry, and styling (even though it was short) was very time consuming. The razoring and texture make a huge difference IME.

I am in my early 30s and fairly petite, and am in a normal range for weight (I'm 5'3" and about 120 lbs).

There are some great variations on the pixie out there now. Emma Watson, Halle Berry, Morena Baccarin, the classic Jean Seberg, Michelle Williams, Natalie Portman when she wore hers in a pixie, etc.

I should also add that my daily styling is easy but I need a cut every 5 weeks at 60 bucks a pop plus tip. It is one of my indulgences. I can style my hair quickly but do find it looks best if I spend more time on my makeup, which I think helps keep it more feminine.

I would not necessarily assume your existing stylist is the best person to cut it even if you've been really happy with the person otherwise. I've found I really need to seek out someone who is specifically good with short hair.

Edited by Momof3littles

I feel stupid, but what is a pixie cut? :leaving:

Google some of the names above. Morena Baccarin, Michelle Williams, Jean Seberg, etc. have all worn pixies. Emma Watson caused a big stir when she cut hers off. Think a very short, usually texturized haircut. Some are a little longer and wispier, some are shorter and more sculptured. The blog owner over on youlookfab.com has a classic pixie.

Edited by Momof3littles

My daughter got one. She is remarkably brave with her hair whereas I'm a coward :001_smile: She's 15 and naturally cute no matter what she does, but this haircut is really nice on her. She's a petite girl, and the cut goes well with her delicate features. Her neck is definitely accented and it looks long and beautiful. I see why they call it a pixie because there is an airy, fairy-like quality to the overall look. Her hair is thick, and she really likes how much faster it dries, but she's colder without her long hair so she wears lots of scarves and hats, which of course, are also adorable. She's more fashion conscious than me and swears this cut needs different hats than her long hair. I'm not sure I'm buying it :glare: