Menu

Starting Latin Late?

TheApprentice

I want to start with a 4th and 6th grader next year. Need some advice on which programs would be appropriate. Totally clueless.:confused:

Absolutely consider Getting Started with Latin. My ds used this in 2nd and is now using Lively Latin BB1 in 3rd. GSwL would be good for both children and adults, so don't be fooled by a 2nd grader using it. My ds LOVED GSwL.

:iagree: GSWL is a fantastic, short introduction before beginning a rigorous Latin program, for any age. I highly recommend this.

Mostly, I wanted to point out that you are NOT starting Latin "late" ;)

My recommendations might differ for the two ages, though there's probably something out there that can accommodate both. I'd probably look at First Form. (If it were just the 6th grader, I'd look at Henle, if you're open to non-secular texts.) Late elementary is a tricky age for finding just what you want (taught with the right method but appropriate for the age, etc.). Check the Logic board for old Latin threads.

Never too late. In fact, it maybe a perfect age. We started in 3rd, but I can see where that could have been forced with other children. We are big fans of Latin for Children from Classical Academic Press.

In the DVD's the author's daughter is like sixteen, so there is no talk down. The are really goofy puppet skits, by the Dad, but even his kids give him a hard time about it. Other than that, it's fine for your age child.

Good Luck :)