Menu

Help me with my decluttering dilemma

Managing objects is a huge weakness for me. I'm getting ready to do some decluttering, but I can get caught in decluttering versus taking care of the environment/thriftiness. So for instance, I know there is stuff in the bathrooms that is out of date or that we're just not going to use. I feel like I should wash the bottles out and recycle the plastic, but then that makes the decluttering task huge, instead of a 20-30 minute project. Or I have a mixer that works well enough to beat a cake, or make icing, but I have to hold the bowl on the little spinner thing with my hand or it would fly off. No one is going to want that--and I don't either. The thing has a million gadgets. However, I feel guilty adding to the landfill. That kind of thing comes up a lot.

If you are good at decluttering and also have a concern for stewardship of the environment, how do you think through those kinds of dilemmas?

Managing objects is a huge weakness for me. I'm getting ready to do some decluttering, but I can get caught in decluttering versus taking care of the environment/thriftiness. So for instance, I know there is stuff in the bathrooms that is out of date or that we're just not going to use. I feel like I should wash the bottles out and recycle the plastic, but then that makes the decluttering task huge, instead of a 20-30 minute project.

Recycling is way overemphasized. Toss those bottles and call it a day.

Or I have a mixer that works well enough to beat a cake, or make icing, but I have to hold the bowl on the little spinner thing with my hand or it would fly off. No one is going to want that--and I don't either. The thing has a million gadgets. However, I feel guilty adding to the landfill. That kind of thing comes up a lot.

See my comment above. Throw away the danged mixer already, girl!

If you are good at decluttering and also have a concern for stewardship of the environment, how do you think through those kinds of dilemmas?

Being a good steward of the environment doesn't mean leaving no footprint.

Toss, toss. I can SO relate to your feelings. I procrastinate because I think things like, "Well, I want to go through the girls' clothes, but I don't know if I should consign them or donate them or give them to a friend." And then, since I can't decide, the clothes pile up. Or, so do other things.

I recently found a local charity that I feel good about giving things to. So, off go the clothes. And the rest I toss as much as I can.

I've learned that for me, the MENTAL CLUTTER is much more dangerous to MY thinking (hence, my environment). Hope this helps. HUGS.

Ah, a kindred spirit! I understand your dilemma; it is what causes my own decluttering paralysis every time!

I've learned that for me, the MENTAL CLUTTER is much more dangerous to MY thinking (hence, my environment). Hope this helps. HUGS.

Too true! ...which doesn't keep me from wavering, but if I keep thinking this (above), it does help. Sometimes, things just aren't recyclable. It's unfortunate, but the solution isn't to hold on to them. I like balance in my life, so silly as it sounds, if I send something big to the landfill, I try to give/send some good "big" thing into the world, too - volunteer some of your time (maybe do road clean-up), find a more environmentally kind cleaning product, etc., or find some other way to do something good for your world/environment.

Well, *I* would throw the stuff away. :tongue_smilie:

However, if it's truly important to you to recycle the bottles, for example, break the task down. Turn the bottles over to drain into the sink, go do something else. Then come back and rinse them. Only do the number you think you can reasonable finish in 30 minutes. If you break it into 20-30 minute chunks, you will eventually get it all done.

You might toss the mixer and list the accessories on Craigslist or Freecycle, or donate them to the local resale/reuse shop. Someone out there is probably frustrated because they have a perfectly fine mixer without the parts.

But....if it gets to be too cumbersome, or if it prevents you from decluttering, or if the mixer parts sit on the counter waiting to be claimed, then TOSS IT ALL. Don't look back, no regrets. Keeping junk on your counter instead of in the landfill isn't environmentally sound either. :)

Cat

I have the same problem with feeling guilty about tossing stuff in a landfill. But my twist tends to be something like this: I know the mixer needs to be tossed because it doesn't work anymore, but I don't think I'm allowed to just toss a small appliance into my regular trash. Doesn't that count as some sort of e-waste? So, the mixer stays in my cupboard forever.

For those of you who are good at just tossing: do you tend to just toss it into the regular trash, if it's a small appliance?

I'm really looking for permission to get rid of this old food processor I've had since I got married. The motor is slowing burning out, so I hate to use it anymore because you can smell the motor burning, but I don't feel like I can donate something like that. Yes, technically it still works, but just barely. So I'd feel terrible giving it to good will. But I also feel like I can't just throw it in my trash, because it's got a motor in it.

sigh...

give the mixer to goodwill maybe they can fix it up.

can you put all the bottles in a location that will make it easy for you to wash them out and recycle later? If not, then toss.

Yes, or you can donate to someone who likes to fix up appliances and sell them. Have the kids wash the bottles and put them in recycling.

Thanks everyone! I tossed a bag of old stuff from the bathroom without feeling guilty. Just recycled the larger bottles that are easier to rinse and toss. If it was going to be difficult to rinse, I tossed it. Whew.

Will get give the mixer to Goodwill.

I appreciated the opinions. They helped me not to feel guilty.

Or I have a mixer that works well enough to beat a cake, or make icing, but I have to hold the bowl on the little spinner thing with my hand or it would fly off. No one is going to want that--and I don't either. The thing has a million gadgets. However, I feel guilty adding to the landfill. That kind of thing comes up a lot.

The mixer is going to end up in the landfill. It will be either now or later. If it is now, you will be happier. :001_smile: If it is later, you will be miserable until that day.

Same end result. Same environmental impact. Different mental path. I would toss it now.

If I have something like the mixer I either donate it to Goodwill or I sit it by the road. Not in the trash, just sitting on the yard.

I have put out a small tv, microwave, various small appliances, refridgerator, couch etc. All of these items have been picked up by people that ride around. Some of these people repair and sell items and some recycle for the money. They get stuff and I get rid of stuff, win win :001_smile:

Here's what I say to dh to help him with his worry about the landfill:

"This item has already been made. It will end up in the landfill at some point. We can either cart it around with us unused for 60 more years until we die and our kids throw it out, or we can throw it out now and have a more comfortable home.

The way to keep items out of the landfill is not to buy them in the first place. And if they must be bought, buy only the sturdiest most long lasting brands."

"This item has already been made. It will end up in the landfill at some point. We can either cart it around with us unused for 60 more years until we die and our kids throw it out, or we can throw it out now and have a more comfortable home.

The way to keep items out of the landfill is not to buy them in the first place. And if they must be bought, buy only the sturdiest most long lasting brands."

This is a mixer I've had for 20+ years, so it's done its duty. If it was out and out broken, I wouldn't have a problem with getting rid of it!

I had 4 or 5 garbage bags full of clothes that I took to the consignment shop. Apparently they were out of season. I had the option of holding onto the bags for about 6 mos, and getting MAYBE $50, or dropping them at goodwill. Someone will be very thrilled to find a whole slew of 10S jeans for their daughter. At Goodwill.

Give the mixer to your kids, with some tools, and let them take it apart to see how it works. I donate all my old appliances to a friend who holds a "take apart day" every year. The kids take the stuff apart, we find motors and switches and gears and look at how they work, some we use to make "robots" (one of those 9V batteries will usually make the motors run). We cut the plugs off first so no one gets tempted to use them in any way. At the end, the stuff is well and truely "used up" and ready for the trash. The kids LOVE it.

This is VERY wise.

I bring everything I can to the thrift store and if it needs to be thrown away I throw it away. I don't love throwing lots of stuff away but it does me no good for it to be cluttering my environment. If something won't be used it does no good to keep it in the house. I am conscious of what I buy and buy used whenever possibly but I don't keep things around because of guilt anymore.