Menu

sensory son....question...

I have a son (age 10) who has been diagnosed with minor sensory issues. this is a converstation we had this morning....and I am looking for some advice. Here is the conversation:

he said "I hate wearing clothes"....I asked him why and he said because they touch him softly. (this is one of his biggest complaints) So I was talking to him about him about it. And he said somethings like "this is going to bother me for the rest of my life. " it's not my fault I am like this" "I am the only person like this, and it's not fair" "what can I do?" I then asked, "your clothes didn't seem to bother you yesterday, you didn't say anything" and he said, "somedays they really bother me and other days not as much. That is why I sometime put on shorts and tanktops. But even the collar bothers me too. So do the shorts, but at least it's not my whole leg. This is so frustrating!!!!!!" I was feeling his frustration.

He obviously can't go without clothes...he also can't go outside in the winter wearing tank tops and shorts (We live in Nebraska)...so what else can I do. Right now he is wearing his younger brother's shirt (it doesn't move "it fits tightly on my body" and a pair of long john bottoms (also doesn't move on his legs.)

Any suggestions for me?? I wish I knew how I can help him to get used to wearing his clothes. there has to be something, yes??

How about getting a base layer that is tight. Like thermals or skinny fit pyjamas or leggings or maybe even skinny fit jeans. My dd liked soft loose for a while then swapped to liking tight clothes because they don't move against her skin and fold and crumple. She likes her socks a size to small if she wears them.

Some kids like to wear something snug, like rash guards, under their regular clothes. The rash guards provide a little pressure, which some kids find soothing, and also keep looser items of clothing from brushing against the skin.

(I've also been known to allow ds to spend some time reading naked as long as he's in his room with the door shut.)

gotta find out what's comfy for him I guess--my son has issues like that---FOR YEARS socks would bother him--we would get dressed and go to the store for example (20mins from home) and by the time we were in the buggy going to the store he would be shedding his shoes/socks EVEN IN WINTER-can't tell you how many strange looks we got....my ds hates the thermal type pjs I got him some last year to wear around the house in chilly weather when we were staying in PJs all day LOL and he hated them said they "itched" him or were too tight-even though I got a bigger size for him....it's different for every child...now he isn't bothered so much by socks anymore (at least from what I can tell)-now it's just the thermal type pjs...so I went with fleece pj pants and tshirts....he doesn't like the long sleeve shirts that can be tight in the sleeves so I have to remember to avoid those..... :grouphug:

My dd can't stand clothing either. She is 8.5. She can't handle tight fitting clothing and she can't handle clothes that feel too baggy. She is ALWAYS wearing shorts and tanktops. Shoes are an issue too. I'm not of much help. I just wanted to give you support. :grouphug:

My dd8.5 never use to get involved in the clothing purchases but now it's such a struggle that I have her with me anytime I want to get her some clothes. Shoes we've learned are her crocs or her sweater boots. There is no happy medium at all for her on those. She use to run around in her underwear until she was 6 and I just couldn't understand the struggle! Now we understand why she liked being barely clothed. Her favorite clothes to wear out in public are jeans with adjustable waist and tshirts that are somewhat fitted but long, which end up being an xs in junior because they are small but long.

I hope you find a happy medium with your ds. I just am happy now when she comes out of her room in the morning wearing something other than a bath towel! Thank God we homeschool! I can't imagine the battle of dressing for school everyday! :( I allow her to wear summer clothes during winter months inside. When we go out in public she has a few select things she will wear without struggle.

Sounds like he needs soft 'old' tight fitting cotton knit tshirts (no waffle weave--too rough) and boxers to wear under his 'regular' clothes. I was a little bit like that as a kid. I could not stand to wear tights or nylons--they made my skin crawl so badly that I would be miserable all day. I also hated to pull them up (and feel them move along my skin) so if I was forced to wear them I would hardly ever go to the bathroom. I grew out of it.

please tell him that he is NOT alone. Tell him that's why you're asking here because you know other moms on this board have children who also have these kinds of issues.

Also, talk to him about not dismissing an idea before he's tried it. Trying new things seems really scary but he may be missing out on a solution if he doesn't even try. He can't say the regular clothes over the tight clothes will bother him for sure unless he gives it a try. If it doesn't work, then at least he knows for certain it won't work.

I'm thinking something like this: WinterSilks. I know Kohls carries something similar.

How about skinny jeans? Those are popular right now and definitely hug him.

Do you have regular places you have to go to where he would be required to remove a coat? If not, could he just wear the tank top with a big coat over it? My guy had clothing issues but he was not bothered by his overcoat, maybe because it was heavier than normal clothing.

I agree with needing to try something before dismissing it...he didn't want to bother with it now...but I did plan on talking him into at least trying it.

The winter silks are a great idea...sort of costly...but might be worth the money...but if I need to buy more than one pair...I might no be able to...hmmm...know of a cheaper place for me??

I haven't seen the skinny jeans...he doesn't care for jeans...are these different??? thanks.

bike clothes next to the skin? they would give proprioceptive input. regular clothes on top wouldn't be so irritating.

also, he is doing any dietary changes as part of his treatment regimin? those can really help "quiet" the nerves.

I agree with needing to try something before dismissing it...he didn't want to bother with it now...but I did plan on talking him into at least trying it.

The winter silks are a great idea...sort of costly...but might be worth the money...but if I need to buy more than one pair...I might no be able to...hmmm...know of a cheaper place for me??

I haven't seen the skinny jeans...he doesn't care for jeans...are these different??? thanks.

Some skinny jeans are very soft rather than the hard thick demin. You may have to try a few brands. They can almost be a soft stetch brushed cotton particularly the ones that are solid coloured rather than blue jean coloured.

Edited by lailasmum

Is he seeing an occupational therapist? Has anyone mentioned "brushing"? My son has sensory issues and he went through this technique. It's supposed to help to desensitize(sp?) them. I can't think of the proper name for it, but if he's seeing an OT, I'm sure they have heard of it. You might could even find info. if you google it. Mine has issues with clothes also. When he's inside, he wears no shirt and soft pajama pants or shorts. I find that his "issues" change constantly, so what bothers him today may not be an issue in a few months, BUT something else will take its place. :glare:

Best of luck on finding something that works for your son!

I googled for boys silk base layer and found this one page at Cabela's World's Foremost Outfitter. I don't know what size your son wears but this particular pair is on sale for $10.88. I'm not sure what will work though, so you'll have to get creative in googling terms. I checked Kohls but they only have women's sizes of a brand called Cuddl Duds which doesn't appear to be any less expensive than Winter Silks. Plus, I hear the UnderArmour is good but I'm not sure of the prices.

Skinny jeans (just to show you a picture) are still denim so if he doesn't like denim, he probably won't like skinny jeans. My ds15 has never liked jeans of any kind. He has worn only athletic pants for the past 10 years. I can't get him to try anything else. He also wears only light short-sleeve tshirts with a crew or vneck. He refuses to wear long sleeves but when he's outside, he has no problem wearing his heavy leather jacket.

Is he seeing an occupational therapist? Has anyone mentioned "brushing"? My son has sensory issues and he went through this technique. It's supposed to help to desensitize(sp?) them. I can't think of the proper name for it, but if he's seeing an OT, I'm sure they have heard of it. You might could even find info. if you google it. Mine has issues with clothes also. When he's inside, he wears no shirt and soft pajama pants or shorts. I find that his "issues" change constantly, so what bothers him today may not be an issue in a few months, BUT something else will take its place. :glare:

I was just researching the brushing technique for my dd8, who has definite sensory issues. I found a helpful you tube video...

As far as clothing, do soft sweatpants work? My dd dresses primarily in soft leggings and soft dresses... think Hanna Anderssen style. I find putting her in all cotton jersey knits is easiest, or soft, fleecy fabrics. She won't/can't wear jeans, or anything else with more rigid seams.

thanks for the ideas...I never thought of the rash guard type clothes...can I buy those in the dead of winter without spending a fortune?? What do you do if he would get too hot wearing all of those layers??

I'm sorry, I have no earthly idea. Have you checked Amazon? It seems like you can usually get pretty much anything there. Ds is currently into baggy clothes (that don't have pictures or words on them, thankyouverymuch!) Or...y'know...no clothes...lol. So it's not something I've looked for.

I remember heated discussions with that boy when he was five or six about why he had to wear pants to school. I lived in fear that one of the (many!) calls I'd get from school would have something to do with him stripping down naked in front of the class. Never did, though. Threw furniture, bit one technician, gave the other one a bloody nose, and regularly ran away, but no stripping. At least that I heard about...sigh... He's really much better now. I hardly ever even hear about his clothes other than when we're shopping for them and we have to make sure they're baggy, soft, and without undue embellishment.

Edited by MamaSheep

we saw an OT about 1 1/2 years ago...she didn't feel we needed to see her long term becasue my son was so mildly effected. She did recommend the brushing...but I didn't recall her saying anything about it as a desensitizing technique. So basically you are saying that if we did that for a while, it might help he not be so sensitive to clothes??? How many times a day would you recommend I do this??? THANKS so much!!!

Just chiming in here because both my girls have sensory issues. One can not stand anything that feels slick (nylon, silk). This sounds pretty easy to avoid until you try to buy a winter coat and find that ALL the reasonably priced coats are lined with nylon. Her standard uniform is a cotton knit dress. Nothing on her legs unless it gets really cold and then it is flannel or fleece PJ bottoms.

The other one doesn't like anything fleece as she finds it itchy. Seams bothered her so much that she used to wear all her clothes inside out until DH put his foot down and said no more of that. She actually likes slick feeling clothes and we bought her silk long underwear that she can wear under her other clothes. The silks are worn inside out and "protect" her from the outer clothes.

Both girls wear crocs as their standard shoes. They only wear something else when they have no choice (certain sports, etc.)

Keep trying different things until your son is comfortable and don't be surprised if his preferences change over time. Good luck!

Pegasus

Oooo I agree with the others. A Layer of tightness under the loose. Biker clothing is real tight. Erm bicycle biker clothing. Not motorcycle clothing. Cuz that wouldn't help him. :001_smile:

Hmmm I wonder if that is how my ds3.5 is? He takes his clothes off all the time. He is sans clothing right now.