Menu

How to Prepare for Wheelock?

I am thinking of signing ds12 up for the Veritas Press Latin I online class - he will be in 7th grade.

We have been doing some Latin in the past (Latina Christiana / First Form Latin...), without much dedication...:001_huh:

I want to use the next six months to prepare ds more thoroughly! VP does not ask for any prerequisites, but the class will certainly advance at a rhythm ds is not going to be used to...

Do you suggest I pick up First Form Latin, possibly finishing Second Form by September?

Or should we have a run through Latin Alive, which is used by VP to prepare for the Latin I class?

Any other suggestions?

Both, ds and I, are very enthusiastic about this project, but need some help preparing for "the real stuff".

Thanks!

My son is doing Wheelock with the Lukion Project. He had previously done Latina Christiana I and Latin Prep I and II. I think any Latin background would help, I don't think it really matter what you use.

The biggest stumbling block for him is knowledge of grammar. He has always struggled with grammar and it trips him up when translating English to Latin.

My son is doing Wheelock with the Lukion Project. He had previously done Latina Christiana I and Latin Prep I and II. I think any Latin background would help, I don't think it really matter what you use.

The biggest stumbling block for him is knowledge of grammar. He has always struggled with grammar and it trips him up when translate English to Latin.

I was going to link to it, but their website is down. Take a look at the Lukeion Project placement test for their class that uses Wheelock's. All English Grammar. I agree. I teach a local class that comes after the first half of Henle I, and it has been quite eye-opening to me. Grammar makes all the difference.

Vocab! That's what I'm going to try to do with my boys to some extent over the summer. The chapter vocab. starting with Ch 1, going as far as we get. That and chant the conjugations and declensions once each day. (My boys will be taking VP's Wheelock's in the fall, too.)

ETA: You can get a book of vocab cards on amazon to tear out.

Edited by yvonne

Thank you for your advice!

Ds is taking VP's Grammar Transition class this year, which made grammar fall into place for him (after years of FLL/R&S I was about to loose hope...).

We will also start looking at some vocabulary in Wheelocks...and cement those conjugations/declensions.:tongue_smilie:

Yvonne, it looks like our sons are going to spend a lot of time together next year!;)