Menu

Mandarin for a 6-7 year old....

chepyl

I plan to start language studies with my son next year. I know enoughFrench and Spanish to at least get started and understand what is going on...but he wants to learn Mandarin....I have no idea where to start, what to get as far as curriculum...HELP! He has been saying this for a few months.

I have asked several times and this is what he wants. Any suggestions?

Something computer based or with computer games/practice would be great!! I also want some practice on the letters by hand, but computer based for this would be great! I don't want to spend the money on Rosetta Stone right now. I don't even know if that is a good program for a 6 year old...

http://www.betterchinese.com

This is a great program, it's used in many school across the country. You don't have to know the language to teach it, b/c there are plenty of CD's and such to help, like with tones and stuff.

I bought the Homeschool Pack, and it was a little over $300, but it will last for about 2 years, and it comes with an on-line subscription. I think you could get away with JUST using the online subscription and a few workbooks, but I suggest just buying the whole pack.

DS7 is now using MeiZhou Chinese, but only b/c he started a Chinese class and that is what the teacher chose. It's also a GREAT program, and only $21.50 for Level 1! But it would be very hard, if not impossible, to use that curriculum if you don't already know the languages.

I highly suggest that you look around for a Chinese class/school taught by a native speaker(s).

I also recommend Better Chinese. I don't speak Mandarin and we are making progress using this curriculum. I am using My First Chinese Reader and find that the teacher's guide in English is essential along with the online subscription or CD-ROM. I like the workbook because it has the character cards in it, but I haven't found the workbook pages to be very useful. I also have the text for the student. If you have the funds I would get it too. I prefer the online subscription because it comes with additional animations and homework activities that a child can do online. I switched to this after trying Rosetta Stone for 3 years with little progress.

I also recommend Better Chinese. I don't speak Mandarin and we are making progress using this curriculum. I am using My First Chinese Reader and find that the teacher's guide in English is essential along with the online subscription or CD-ROM. I like the workbook because it has the character cards in it, but I haven't found the workbook pages to be very useful. I also have the text for the student. If you have the funds I would get it too. I prefer the online subscription because it comes with additional animations and homework activities that a child can do online. I switched to this after trying Rosetta Stone for 3 years with little progress.

:iagree:

This is a great program. My 7yo is currently using My First Chinese Reader. I ordered all the components including the assessments and worksheet masters. She really enjoys it! I have a Chinese tutor that comes once a week to practice conversation using her new vocab/grammar structures, and to help with writing the characters. This combohas worked well for us so far!

Apparently I stink at Googling....I know there are places to learn Chinese here...but I can't find one!!

Thanks for the links. The Better Chinese looks like it might work well to start. I need something full laid out like that. After we see how he does, I might be able to find a student at the University who would come speak with him and tutor him.

Another vote for BetterChinese.com. My daughter learned her tones from the CDs. (inheriting her dad's great ear may have helped, to be honest) We are very happy with the program. They've got some sales going on right now...Chinese New Year. A new deal each day through Tues. or Wed., I believe.

Check out this video on YouTube:

It's called Pinyin tones in six minutes. We watch it once in a while. I want to learn mandrin chinese along with the kids. We're doing too much stuff right now. I've tried a website called Active Chinese. I think it's like $10 a month. I just did the free trial and decided I don't really have time to do it right now, but I liked it.