Menu

green smoothie kids will drink?

We just finished ours for today.

1 small bottle Strawberry Kefir (I bought little bottles at Costco)

2 handfuls of spinach

1/2 banana

about 1/2 c. frozen cherries

about 10 slices frozen peaches

added water to thin it out for my blender

ETA: My DS is much more willing to drink it when he helps make it. I let them pick 1 or 2 of the fruits to put in also.

Here is what we do:

2-3 cups of spinach, swiss chard, lettuce, kale or mix of all

ground flax

1-2 cups frozen strawberries

1/2 to 1 cup of blueberries, blackberries or something really really dark (takes the color to dark purple!), fresh or frozen

1 cup OJ or a couple oranges (less if other stuff is not frozen)

1 banana, frozen or fresh

handful of sprouts

If we have it to use up - pea pods, cucumber, carrot, whatever. Just little bits.

The above is sweet and fruity. The dark colored berries change it from green/brown to a nice dark purple color.

Some people just won't like green drinks :) (including me for a long time), my DS won't go near green drinks but my DD & I love the following recipe:

2-3 bunches of spinach (steamed for 5 minutes or less, makes it easier to blend & gets rid of any inhibitors)

1 banana (better if frozen

1-2 tablespoons ground up flax seed

1/2-1 cup milk, almond milk, soy (your choice)

This is pretty base recipe and we add anything else we like at the time or just use the recipe as is. As is, you taste the banana and because of the steaming of the spinach you don't taste the green stuff. But if you don't do the banana or some other sweetener ... than you truly have a drink that taste like a green mobster...

Thanks everyone. Yes, I think the color is definitely an issue, so I will be trying the dark berry tip. I may cut back on the spinach a little too; maybe I used too much. Obviously, it doesn't do any good if they don't drink it! :001_smile: Funny thing is that they'll readily eat raw spinach, but right now everyone is a little under the weather and not eating so much, so I do want to get some good stuff in them.

Hi all,

I am looking for a green smoothie recipe that my kids will actually like. I would appreciate any suggestions!

TIA!

Blueberry-banana-kale (or spinach, or beet greens)

Blueberry masks the green color and the banana sweetens and thickens.

Perfect for the beginner....and the extraordinarily picky. Freeze the banana first for the creamiest texture.

I alternate mostly kale or spinach but sometimes romaine or red lettuce - a handful of one type.

Then I add a bit of water, crushed ice, frozen fruit of all sorts, but most definitely blueberry. I usually also throw in pineapple, peaches, banana, and sometimes strawberries or cherries.

2 tbsp chia seeds and maybe a little Greek yogurt if on hand.

Blend and enjoy.

Dd loves any of those combos. The one green none of us care for in smoothies so far is parsley. It has a really strong taste.

I finally got dh and dd10 to drip one with kale, banana, oranges, and crushed ice. Kale smoothies + fruit are a really pretty shade of bright green. When I add blackberries or blueberries, they turn brownish and look kind of like baby poop. I haven't been able to get anyone else to drink one of them yet. :tongue_smilie:

My four kids and I drink this green smoothie every day for breakfast and they love it !! You can add some honey if you wish, we drink our without.

2 cups fresh organic spinach

1 bananna

2 cups frozen wild blueberries

1 cup frozen strawberries

2 cups orange juice with calcium

1 and a half cups water

This makes 5 servings of 10 ounce smoothies for each of us.

ours is really similar to this, except our portions vary. also, the banana is frozen and i add a squirt of raw honey.

My four kids and I drink this green smoothie every day for breakfast and they love it !! You can add some honey if you wish, we drink our without.

2 cups fresh organic spinach

1 bananna

2 cups frozen wild blueberries

1 cup frozen strawberries

2 cups orange juice with calcium

1 and a half cups water

This makes 5 servings of 10 ounce smoothies for each of us.

I make different smoothies every time but I use carrots, kale spinach and pumpkin as the main veggies and then use frozen tropical fruit, berries, strawberries, cherries mangoes or peaches or sometimes banana or avocado. I use coconut, rice, soy, orange juice or hemp milk as the liquid and throw in some protein powder, flax and pumpkin seeds. They all taste good to me and the kids like them too.

If the color is a problem, add a small amount of beet to the mix. It will come out a beautiful red color and your kids will never know there are greens in it!

That worked for a friend of mine. She added beets and her kids loved it because of the nice color. I tried with my kids today and they were like this is yucky. I have been trying to find more veggies to add but guess that is a no go. I didn't like it either. I only used one to start with but it overpowered everything else. If they really notice the color though it works.

Frozen mango

Banana

Pineapple

A bit of orange juice

Several big handfuls of baby spinach

The color is a very bright green and but we called them something like "Green Hulk Smoothies." The kids fell for the name, LOL. Blueberries and strawberries seemed to give it a more brown color that grossed them out. Unlike most green smoothies I've ever had this combination of fruit really hides all of the spinach taste.

Sorry to hi-jack and ask a question, but I was wondering if anyone uses an alternative to fresh greens, like a powder or liquid? What kind? I usually use fresh spinach, but would also like to have something else that is shelf-stable for when I do not have fresh spinach. Does anyone also use frozen spinach? I know it might not have as many nutrients as fresh.

I don't measure, here is what I do.

1 banana

1 avocado

handful or two of spinach ( or swiss chard, or kale)

some frozen berries-blueberries, rasberries, strawberries, etc.

any other fruit I may have laying around

sometimes I throw in a little flax seed oil.

**edited to add: I left kefir off my list. I throw a slug or 2 of plain kefir in there.

Edited by kewb

That worked for a friend of mine. She added beets and her kids loved it because of the nice color. I tried with my kids today and they were like this is yucky. I have been trying to find more veggies to add but guess that is a no go. I didn't like it either. I only used one to start with but it overpowered everything else. If they really notice the color though it works.

If you use too much beet it will give off a strong earthy taste. I only use about 1/4 (or less) of one beet for a full blender of smoothie.

Op, what did YOU think of the ones the kids wouldn't eat?

We have not had a kid yet that didn't like them. Of course, we have years of experience making them which no doubt helps but....

We usually use a banana to 1&1/2 depending on how much we are making

Frozen mixed fruit or blueberries

Half a blender of spinach (or chard or kale or lettuce)

A touch of white grape juice

Soy, almond, or coconut milk

Water for desired consistency

Oh. And someone mentioned a strawberry lemonade (just strawberry and lemon and water). I added spinach and a little agave (to tone down the strawberries. If you like strawberries, you probably won't need that).

Thanks everyone. Yes, I think the color is definitely an issue, so I will be trying the dark berry tip. I may cut back on the spinach a little too; maybe I used too much. Obviously, it doesn't do any good if they don't drink it! :001_smile: Funny thing is that they'll readily eat raw spinach, but right now everyone is a little under the weather and not eating so much, so I do want to get some good stuff in them.

My kids love spinach and know it's in the smoothie, but try a darker fruit. I use blueberries and the color of the smoothie is dark purple :D

Op, what did YOU think of the ones the kids wouldn't eat?

We have not had a kid yet that didn't like them. Of course, we have years of experience making them which no doubt helps but....

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I haven't even tried in a while because the couple of attempts I made were not well received. :( I tried again tonight and the rating was 4.4 out of 5 stars!!! I used my magic bullet with a big handful of frozen mixed berries, a banana, small handful of spinach, a little oj and ice. It was a nice dark purple, tasty, and they liked it, so I am calling it a success.

I will definitely try some of the other suggestions as well, but I think as much as anything, the color may have been a problem. I am glad to hear frozen spinach works as well. I don't try smoothies often because in general my kiddos are good eaters, but every now and then (like now!), I want to get a little extra in.

Thanks everyone!!!