Menu

MOH 1 and HOD CtC

hopeallgoeswell

Has anyone used MOH Vol. 1 as the reader for CtC? I love HOD and have access to a free guide. I don't like how CtC does not incorporate civilizations outside of Egypt, Greece, and Rome very much. Ok, I will admit it. I really want to use the notebook!:drool: I think the science looks well done, as well. Oh, and I can use MOH for activity ideas for my first grader.

:bigear:

I don't own either guide yet, but there was a lady on the HOD yahoo group who was planning on running both together for the same reason you are. When she sat down and began putting it together, she discovered that just about every topic covered in MOH was covered in HOD as well. I guess I'm saying that you might be surprised what's in the HOD guide.

Yes, I've done this for part of CtC. There were about 4-6 weeks of the guide's scheduled history that my dd just wasn't understanding so I switched out MOH readings very successfully. FYI: Something like unit/week 12-18. The last half of the year has a different scheduled history text that she has enjoyed so we put MOH back on the shelf. I was able to jot down a schedule in an hour or two for that difficult month...not difficult. In fact, I plan to do the same with younger dd in a few years. :001_smile:

I'm not sure about SOTW for CtC. That lined up beautifully for us during Preparing (we used Vol.2 & 3 as a supplement). CtC is very heavily focused on ancient Israel, Babylon, Egypt, etc. during the first semester and most of that history comes directly from the Bible (as the main and most accurate source but narrated through a text). Because SOTW 1 covers very little of the ancient kings of Israel/Babylon and is very secular in comparison to the history text used in CtC, I doubt it will be very useful. What one chapter of SOTW 1 covers, 20 lessons of Story of the Ancient World will cover. Does that make sense? Because MOH is very Bible integrated, it lines up so much better.

• 2 years later...