Menu

making boxed cake mix better?

My daughter's birthday is today:party:

Her party is tomorrow, and I am making the cake. I always make the cake. I have a total aversion to buying a birthday cake for my child, and can't bring myself to do it. Now the problem is that my kitchen has been gutted for remodeling. I have a sink, a stove/oven, and my husband will bring in a folding table for me to work on. All my stuff is packed up. So, making a cake from scratch sounds like a bit too much to expect of myself. Also, I need to feed a lot, so I'm making a 9 x 13 cake, but with two layers, and then a dozen cupcakes as well. Plus I will make my own chocolate buttercream frosting.

So, since I'm using a mix, anyway to make it better? Easily? Best brand?

My favorite boxed cake dressup is:

1 package plain cake mix (like white or vanilla)

1 c. whole millk

8T/1 stick real butter, melted at low heat

3 large eggs

2 t. vanilla extract plus up to 4 t. other flavoring (total of 6t or 2T total)

Bake the cake as usual. While it's baking, make a simple syrup....1 part water, 1 part white sugar (I usually do 1/2 c. each) and add flavoring extracts of your choice. Paint this over the baked and turned out cake to seal in crumbs.

Then make a really nice frosting. Yum.

Cake mixes are a whole lot better than they were when I was a kid; I'd buy the cheapest brand (although I'd probably skip Walmart brand just on principle). Canned frosting, imo, is still not so great (but my kids love it). I think your cake will turn out GREAT!!!!

Happy BIRTH day to you and your dd!!

My grandma always made them into Yummy moist poundcakes! Take your favorite boxed mix, add two small instant puddings, 4 eggs, 3/4 cups water, 1/4 cup oil. Ignore all box directions! Mix in chocolate chips. The recipie says one cup....I use one small bag ;)

Combs we love:

Duncan hines extra moist devils food or fudge cake mix

With fudge devils food pudding and ghiredelli (sp?) Dark chocolate chips. The fudge option is super dark, the devil's food is less so.

Strawberry cake mix, vanilla pudding, same chips. DO NOT use white chocolate chips.....they sink and melt weird, it was a disaster amd tasted weird.

I have iced with buttercream and whipped icing. It is really good in iced with whipped cream or cool whip. For a fun addition to the chocolate, add crushed pepermints to the cool whip.

You can make it with white cake, vanilla pudding, and chocolate chips. I have never tried butterscotch chips. You can also leave the chips out all together.

Cook time is one hour at 350 for a bundt pan, 20-30 for cupcake size. Layer cakes I habe done at 45 minutes.

thanks all! I found an amazing recipe that mixed cake mix, a can of cherry pie filling, and eggs, but I'm scared it would be so moist it wouldn't hold up well......might just do the "add pudding" tip and stick with that. Oh, and I am putting some almond extract in the chocolate frosting, so yum!

Still thinking about that cherry/chocolate cake...

I hope your cake and party turn out great!!

Box mixes have saved this Georgia Swamp girl when baking at Colorado high altitude. When I first moved here, I baked my favorite "dinette cake" recipe. It had ALWAYS been totally reliable. Moist, tall, and light. Here, it turned into a hard, flat brick.:confused:

Thank goodness for cake mixes. (Just please don't tell my Grandma that I use a box.);)

For extra cuteness, stir in sprinkles just before pouring the batter into the pan. The rainbow round sprinkles work especially well, but any color will do.

Ooops - sounds like you are doing chocolate cake - well, it's still cute, but not as dramatic as a lighter cake mix.

Betty Crocker makes a butter recipe cake mix, (available in both yellow and chocolate flavors), that's pretty good. You actually use butter in it instead of oil.

That's the only cake mix cake I'll make, but nobody ever believes that's it's out of a box when I do make it!

thanks all! I found an amazing recipe that mixed cake mix, a can of cherry pie filling, and eggs, but I'm scared it would be so moist it wouldn't hold up well......might just do the "add pudding" tip and stick with that. Oh, and I am putting some almond extract in the chocolate frosting, so yum!

Still thinking about that cherry/chocolate cake...

I've used a similar recipe, and it turned out cake-like in one house's oven and very much pudding-like in another. I wouldn't risk it.

However, why not just use a simple homemade version? I know you're not up for the complex ones, but a simple one is not any different than a doctored regular one.

Yellow Cake

3 eggs

1 1//2 c sugar

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1 1/2 cups flour

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

3/4 cup milk, heated to boiling

3 tbsp vegetable oil

beat eggs, add sugar and vanilla, beat until fluffy. Add flour and baking powder, beat to combine. Add milk and iol, beat until smooth. 350F about 20 minutes for 2 8" round pans.

Choc Cake (my favorite)

1 3/4 c flour

2 c sugar

3/4 c unsweetened cocoa

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

2 eggs

1 c milk

1/2 c veg oil

2 tsp vanilla

1 cup boiling water (I use the microwave)

put flour sugar cocoa bp and bs in bowl and combine. Add eggs, milk, oil, vanilla, beat for about 2 minutes (by mixer or with a wisk). Pour in water, mix to combine. 350F, 30-35 min for 2 8" rounds.

I've used similar recipes and quadrupled them, and it's worked out just fine.