Menu

I need help with a unit study for the summer

jeri

We adopted two children from Ethiopia in the spring. They are 8 and 6. I also have an 11, 10, another 8, and a 5 yo. I am looking for a high-interest type unit study to use with my youngest three over the summer. I'm not sure what I really want to study, but it has to be multidimensional--lots of hands on, projects, some reading, etc. This is mostly because I need to keep my new kids focused on learning English and broadening the words that they currently use. Ideas??? Thanks.

Jeri

What about a unit on the Presidential Election process? We're doing one right now and knowledge box has a great lapbook and gallopade has a nice workbook on Presidential Elections. There are also some good books on this for children too. It could be blended into a unit on the 4th of July too.:001_smile:

If you want something really easy and fun, I would suggest a Thematic Unit from Teacher Created Resources, or a unit from Christian Cottage Units. They are both hands-on and high interest! You will find either of these well-organized. You'll spend your time learning and teaching rather than pulling things together.

If you want to continue unit studies, I would suggest getting a used copy of KONOS Volume 1.

: )

Evan Moor History or Literature Pockets come with everything ready to copy and cut, you can get them really cheap on Amazon or half.com, and they are wonderful--lots of hands on, lots of info, and more fun than anything I've seen. I've been on the homeschool share site, but we prefer this. They also work with a good 3-4 year range, so I think they'd work with all the ages you're doing.

Best of luck! Sounds wonderful and challenging!

Kiran

Heart of Dakota has lots of hands on things. There have hands on activites for math (daily), history, science and geography on a weekly basis. The read alouds are kept short and the art activities compliment them. It is easy to use as well.

Before I read your whole post I thought of Donna Wards Africa, Land of Hope. It might be comforting and interesting for all of you to learn about where your little one came from. Then they could learn the English words to the already familiar African words. I cannot comment on the hands on activites as I have not used it.

It sounds like a fun summer adjusting to the new family!