Menu

I wish I had never put kiddo in pre-school-LONG

I had thought about homeschooling my son from birth,but never really thought too seriously about it--I always thought I'll deal with it when the time comes-Right around the age of 4-5 I guess everyone kept saying that he should go to preschool to learn how to be around kids in preparation for school--we looked around and found a very pricey (I thought so) church preschool-it was billed as they would also do some basic learning in between all the play time--it was for about 3-4 hours each morning from what I remember---To make the long story short LOL I got calls just about every day that he was dis-rupting the class-he wouldn't stay in his seat-he did "this or that"--so after a week,I told them it wasn't going to work out and it wasn't the right environment for my child and I took him home and started doing preschool stuff with him at home (he already knew alot anyway-I think it was too strict for him and he was bored because he already knew alot they were "teaching")----My son still talks about how horrible the "teacher lady" was to him--last night we were in bed and he was "talking" himself to sleep as usual and he started talking about one time where she was yelling at him and dragging him by the arm down the hall to the "principal's" office and it gave him a bad rug burn on his knee---(not really a principal,but the lady who kind of was the administrator)---I wish I had never sent him to that place--turned out to be the worst decision I ever made--This has been roughly about 5 yrs ago and he still talks about it.....Thanks for listening to my whine..... :grouphug:

Wow, that does stink! It could have been fun, reassuring experience for him, but look at what he's left with even now! Please don't blame yourself for deciding to enroll him though back then. You didn't know.

I put my first-born son into a preschool program at a university, and it was such an amazing experience for he and his younger brother. After we moved though, I never sent anyone else to a preschool because I felt like I'd been spoiled by this awesome school and no one would meet my expectations.

I think we honestly get more out of short term classes we pay for at the park district or elsewhere, or even at the storytime at the library.

It is going REALLY badly for my littlest also. He is in public school and it is and all day program. We just got permission to have him go only half a day. However, he is SO disregulated while there; and I know it is hurting him to be so anxious, to have such negative experiences, to not be able to get happy faces most of the time, etc. They simply cannot do what NEEDS to be done to help him. And the teachers DO have a bad attitude about him because they can't stand the behavior. I understand, but.... The bad thing for ME is that I can't just pull him out :( As soon as he's adopted.....

On the other hand, our kindergarten is beyond amazing. If we live here the whole time, I absolutely plan to send each boy at least to that. We homeschooled our first kids all the way through (minus 8 weeks in 2001). I completely and totally believe in homeschooling and WANT TO do it. But I do think there are positives to public school sometimes...just not preK for my 3yr old!

Edited by 2J5M9K

this was before we got a dx and right after I pulled him out we went to try and see if he could be dx but nothing fit completely.....he wasn't dx until a few years after this fiasco.....I keep telling him it wasn't his fault that the place just wasn't right for him but every now and then he'll talk about it.....