Menu

"Icing on the Cake" the expression

What does the expression "that is like the icing on the cake" mean to you...

Dh came home very late last night and reported that an unhappy women at the company's conference referred to DH's division as being the icing on the cake. Several members of DH's group were so angry by this comment. They took it mean that they were insignicant. I disagree - the icing is often the best part.

What do you think?

Yes, they are misunderstanding the saying. I think "the icing on the cake" refers to something special/good (but maybe not vital) that has been added to something already good.

For example, I might say "we had a great time in Florida, and getting to do Disney was the icing on the cake."

The misinterpretation is hilarious! :lol:

We use it in two ways:

(1.) We use it to mean "the straw that broke the camel's back."

"Isn't that just the icing on the cake?" would mean that that thing was just one more bad thing in a long list.

(2.) And then it is also used to mean something good that is just one more good things on top of othe good things.

It would depend on the context.

Yes, they are misunderstanding the saying. I think "the icing on the cake" refers to something special/good (but maybe not vital) that has been added to something already good.

For example, I might say "we had a great time in Florida, and getting to do Disney was the icing on the cake."

The misinterpretation is hilarious! :lol:

No, they didn't misunderstand. Usually it is a positive term meaning the best part. In this case, if she was complaining about something, saying his group was "the icing on the cake", meant it was the worst of the worst part.

No, they didn't misunderstand. Usually it is a positive term meaning the best part. In this case, if she was complaining about something, saying his group was "the icing on the cake", meant it was the worst of the worst part.

If she was really upset, then I agree.

But, I've also seen people misuse or misunderstand phrases. I've seen people use the word "jaded" to mean "experienced." I've seen the phrase "kabuki show" used when they meant "dog and pony show," (maybe this one is more subtle?). I've seen them use the word "transparent" when they actually meant "obfuscated."

Ok that makes sense, meaning that it is not necessary an extra. Of course this person is known for stirring things up so most likely anything she says is taken as an insult.

I thought DH should bring a cake today with delicious icing and another that was dry and without icing. Then his group could see how icing is needed.

He is in the energy business; his group specializes in wind power.

I've always heard "the icing on the cake" used in a sarcastic, negative way. Always. I've never heard it used in a positive way, unless the person is actually talking about cake.icon7.gif

P.S. I see you're from Atlanta. I think "the icing on the cake" is a southern expression meaning "the last straw."

I would have thanked her for such a lovely comment, which would have made her look kind of dumb since she was obviously trying to insult them. :tongue_smilie:

I just looked it up and the explanation agrees with mine. A cake is good. Having icing on top is even better. I tried to find the origin, but didn't. It reminds me of war rationing. Something like a cake was probably special in itself but to have icing might have been seen as decadent. But I could be way off base.

I've always heard "the icing on the cake" used in a sarcastic, negative way. Always. I've never heard it used in a positive way, unless the person is actually talking about cake.icon7.gif

P.S. I see you're from Atlanta. I think "the icing on the cake" is a southern expression meaning "the last straw."

Interesting. I've only ever heard it as a positive, like the previous example about going to FL and visiting Disney was the icing on the cake.