Menu

Things I Can't Get Done. Just a Vent.

Argh. I can't keep up. DH helps, but I still feel responsible when something isn't done. Actually, I think the only thing I get to is loading and running the dishwasher. DH does the laundry, all major cleaning is on the weekends and the kids do their part (beds, toys, etc). Since we HS at night, it is always "on" time at home:

1) come home, put things away (I am the one who is not good at this right now)

2) start schoolwork with the kids

3) they say they are hungry, so I find them a small snack before dinner (last night it was big bag of carrots -- they ate the whole bag and then didn't want dinner)

4) eat dinner (usually....)

5) squeak out about 15-20 minutes of playtime with the kids before they go to bed

6) bedtime, read a chapter of a book with the kids

Twice this week, DH and I have worked out after the kids have gone to bed (we both want to do this). Then we watch an episode on Netflix (or three) until we go to bed / I fall asleep (whichever happens first).

Things that bug me:

1. I feel bad when DH is looking for food - he never complains, but I feel like something should be ready. I make a week of potatoes, chicken, rice for him, but it's all gone now and I haven't made more.

2. I feel bad when the kids don't have a lot of playtime at home (although they play almost all day at the cafe). With HS'ing at night, this is just the reality though.

3. I hate feeling so tired. Sometimes I'm afraid I will never feel rested again.

4. I hate when my stupid dining room table (where we HS) is always covered. It's usually my stuff too. We are done with our schoolday and I'm already running off to get dinner / play / or bedtime with the kids.

We are going to have a break in a couple weeks (6wks on, 1 wk off, schooling year-round). I never feel like I need it, but this time I do. I don't usually feel this disorganized, but this week I'm just so tired.

Argh. I can't keep up. DH helps, but I still feel responsible when something isn't done. Actually, I think the only thing I get to is loading and running the dishwasher. DH does the laundry, all major cleaning is on the weekends and the kids do their part (beds, toys, etc). Since we HS at night, it is always "on" time at home:

1) come home, put things away (I am the one who is not good at this right now)

2) start schoolwork with the kids

3) they say they are hungry, so I find them a small snack before dinner

(last night it was big bag of carrots -- they ate the whole bag and then didn't want dinner):banghead:

4) eat dinner

5) squeak out about 15-20 minutes of playtime with the kids before they go to bed

6) bedtime, read a chapter of a book with the kids

Twice this week, DH and I have worked out after the kids have gone to bed (we both want to do this). Then we watch an episode on Netflix (or three) until we go to bed / I fall asleep (whichever happens first).

Things that bug me:

1. I feel bad when DH is looking for food - he never complains, but I feel like something should be ready. I make a week of potatoes, chicken, rice for him, but it's all gone now and I haven't made more.

2. I feel bad when the kids don't have a lot of playtime at home (although they play almost all day at the cafe). With HS'ing at night, this is just the reality though.

3. I hate feeling so tired. Sometimes I'm afraid I will never feel rested again.

4. I hate when my stupid dining room table (where we HS) is always covered. It's usually my stuff too. We are done with our schoolday and I'm already running off to get dinner / play / or bedtime with the kids.

We are going to have a break in a couple weeks (6wks on, 1 wk off, schooling year-round). I never feel like I need it, but this time I do. I don't usually feel this disorganized, but this week I'm just so tired.

:grouphug:

I don't know how old your kids are, but are there some subjects that you could introduce to them at night, and then they could complete during some of their time at the cafe the next day...instead of playing the whole time. It might free up some more relaxing time at home, instead of completing the entire assignment in the evening hours? I attend a Bible study on Tuesday mornings so I try to go through, Monday night, and "introduce" the subjects my son can complete on his own the next day. He really surprised me and had completed his spelling, geography, math, and his history reading.

Edited by shoretee

:grouphug:

Have you tried Flylady? (Flylady.net) I don't follow everything she does, but she made a big difference in our getting things done around here. We're certainly not perfect, but LOTS better than we used to be.

If you don't know, flylady.net is a website created by a woman whose house was a messy wreck. Slowly, she figured out how to run it smoothly. It took her a year or more to implement habits to make the house nice. She shares all her ideas on the website. It's become a big "thing" now, but if you take things little by little, it might help you.

Oh--and I get it about DH's doing all the work. My husband has ADHD (note the H part--he's hyper!) and he can dash around the house and have the laundry going, ironing done (he irons!), trash out, bathrooms scrubbed, and I'm still in my jammies brushing my teeth. I feel very guilty when he does that.