Menu

Spelling Woes

extendedforecast

I'm struggling with spelling for DD9. We are using Everyday Spelling, which is very similar to Spelling Workout, but what I'm noticing is that DD doesn't seem to be retaining what she's learned. She does pretty well on pre-tests, scoring about 80-85%, and then scoring 100% at the end of the lesson. However, when she writes, she doesn't apply what she's learned in spelling. The same words that she misses on the pre-tests seem to be the most commonly misspelled in her writing. What would you suggest? I wonder if I should switch to another method, plus beef up her reading selections so that maybe she'll absorb the correct spelling of higher level vocabulary. It's late, and I don't even know if I make sense right now. I guess I'll come back tomorrow to see if I made sense to anyone. Goodnight!

We use Spelling Plus with Dictation. We spend a week on a word list, the next week we do dictation from that list. You don't have to switch programs, but you could add dictation that includes the words. I found that doing workbook pages did not help my son, it was just busy work. Studying the words and spellibg them each day followed by a week of dictation helps him retain. I like Spelling plus because the dictation book HSed all the work done, each lesson builds and uses old words again as well as the new ones. It also includes punctuation rules.

You don't have to switch programs, but you could add dictation that includes the words.

Yes, I second doing dictation to cement the spelling words in your Everyday Spelling lessons.

ETA: If you don't want to add the stress of coming up with suitable dictation sentences to your already busy day, I second the Dictation book from Spelling Plus. It is very affordable (even more if you buy it used).

Edited by nansk