Menu

Super Bowl - looking for a dessert

We are having a small family party for the Super Bowl. I have a basic simple menu (requested by our children), but I don't have a dessert planned yet.

I have a ton of recipes, but I don't have any cravings. I need a little inspiration.

What are you making and/or what is your favorite dessert to eat at a family party?

For easy things - vanilla wafer balls and Blondie Salad. We LOVE both around here. The Vanilla wafer balls have several variations - I roll mine in more powdered sugar instead of coconut, but I've also seen them rolled in pecans. They can be made ahead of time and frozen. The Blondie salad can also we changed up - I make mine with canned tropical fruit cocktail instead of the oranges and add in extra cherries, and use strawberry jello. It too is better made ahead - it takes a little while for the flavors to really blend and the marshmallows to melt.

Inexpensive finger food (sort of):

Take two wonton wrappers. Cut a slit in the middle of one of them, about an inch long. Crumple the other one together like a napkin (or a 'w') and pull it through the slit, stopping midway. Now they form an 'x'.

Deep fry in a wok until golden. (They get flattish and stiff when you do this.)

Drain briefly and then dip in powdered sugar, on both sides.

You can make about 3-4 of these at one time. It's important not to stack or crowd them in the wok or they will be misshapen. I use corn oil to fry them.

Like the apple crisp, I have yet to meet someone who did not like these. Kid or adult.

Having said that, my favorite dessert recipe is French Silk Pie. But that is not for everyone--it has raw eggs in the filling, so you have to have a good source and also not serve it to anyone who is immune-compromised or over 80 is the guideline, I think. Plus I always feel honor bound to disclose the raw eggs, and sometimes people are grossed out, even though I get them from a free range, pastured, humane, chicken paradise-type farm weekly.