Menu

Does anyone teach their math lessons the day ahead?

coastal academy

I am trying to have our mornings run a more smoothly and my oldest less dependent on me to get started. I would like for my daughter to start math without me in the morning if she gets to it before I can go over the lesson with her. She is doing Singapore 3a. I am wondering if anyone teaches their child the next day's math lesson during a meeting time sometime later in the morning/day - meaning after their child completes their math for the day (this being material that would have been taught the day before), and if so, how is it working out? Does that make sense? Thank you for any thoughts and/or input!

Blessings!

CS

We don't do it exactly like that, but close. We do two math sessions a day. I try to keep each one to about 15 minutes. Usually I do the presentations outlined in the home instructor's guide and/or the text book in the first session, and later in the day my daughter does the workbook. (She is not really able to do it completely independently--if I don't sit beside her, she will start to daydream.) I often let the workbook lag a little behind the topic in the textbook so that it is a review. I operate on the theory that by spacing the sessions out, the material is more likely to be remembered. We just started book 2B.

We don't do it exactly like that, but close. We do two math sessions a day. I try to keep each one to about 15 minutes. Usually I do the presentations outlined in the home instructor's guide and/or the text book in the first session, and later in the day my daughter does the workbook. (She is not really able to do it completely independently--if I don't sit beside her, she will start to daydream.) I often let the workbook lag a little behind the topic in the textbook so that it is a review. I operate on the theory that by spacing the sessions out, the material is more likely to be remembered. We just started book 2B.

This is similar to what we do, although since my son is older the times are longer. We work together on the "text" of the textbook, and he does the exercise sets independently. He does independent math work every day for about 40 minutes. The teaching time is less frequent, perhaps three times a week, and usually 20-30 minutes. I just make sure that we're ahead in the text of where he's working on the exercises.

Typically, I'll teach math a day or two ahead or even for the week. It really depends on the unit and how many WB exercises there are. Then he does the workbook pages on his own for a few days or the rest of the week. He asks for help as needed. I pulled him out of school in january 2011, so i started him in Singapore 2A mid-year. He just finished 3A this week:D. Frontloading the teaching has really helped him. Each day is a review of my earlier teaching and he can move as fast or slow as needed. I barely had to teach the money unit as he is quite obsessed with cash, but he needed more instruction on long division. He gets concepts quickly when introduced, so I think that time in between the lesson and the workbook helps him slow down the process and makes it stick. Plus, i like that he has time to develop questions or realize that maybe he didn't quite get it. Sometimes, all i need to do is one example problem and he is off and running. I did need to do a long division problem a day for a while, but he knew he needed it and asked me. I just wish writing came as easy!!!

When I had all 3 boys doing school I would have them work on the review section in the morning while I worked with the youngest. They were also to read over the new lesson. Most times they figured it out themselves and did the rest. When it was math time I would check their work to be sure they did know or go over the new lesson if they did not.

We do this. When I meet with my girls each day, we go over the completed lesson to make corrections then we go over the next lesson so they know what to do tomorrow.

We have been doing this for most of our subjects so that they can get to work first thing and that gives me time to work with my younger boys(6 and 4) and get them done. I meet with the girls(9 and 11) later in the morning to do our together things(Bible, History, Science, Latin) and then make corrections and set them up for the next day(seperately for Math and Language Arts). We have been doing this for a few months now and it has been working very well.

I do that for upper grammar students. At the end of my son's school day I go over his Sonlight discussions, geography, and Latin, glance at his science and handwriting, listen to his fiddle and mandolin practice, and teach the next day's lessons in math and grammar.

Each of my boys gets my attention at a different stage of the school day.