Menu

How much did your car insurance increase when adding a teenage boy?

You should call your agent. My friend's increased 2K/year for her only child. My friend and her dh own one 5 year sedan (definitely not luxury, but I can't remember the model)

I was told my insurance increase would be about $800/year. My dh and have 2 cars which are 11 and 13 years old.

The only discount I know of is for honor roll students and I was told that is only 10%.

My friend's got his license. All three of them have jobs, so there's some juggling.

My ds didn't want to learn. At first he did, but then was intimidated. We tried a few rounds in a big parking lot--which resulted in a chiropractic visit due to his abrupt gas and brake pedal (I know that is typical). But he really didn't want to continue. So, we didn't push it. It's cheaper for us. It would be easier to have him drive. But I only want him driving if he feels comfortable.

We are adding a car and a teen driver. For him to be the main driver on a 2000 Volvo s40 was about $110 a month. We have extra coverage but highish deductibles.

Good grades and drivers safety saved us around $50 a month.

• 3 months later...
Guest Preston

Hi dears,

It is depends on your insurance policy that how much you increased when you adding your teen age boy.

My car insurance premium increased $300/year when i was add my teen age boy and now i am paying my insurance premium to the company.

thanks.

Get a few quotes. We have two cars and got a third car specifically for him. Some places included him on all three of our cars because he's a kid and we're a family which would have caused up to $2000 every six months increase.

My nephew is the same age as my ds, but my sister has USAA. Her insurance increase wasn't nearly as dramatic as mine, but it was still painful.

But get a quote and then get a few more.

Well for my dd, it nearly doubled to just over $600/6 months so it went up about $50/month. This was on a 2000 Ford Taurus and we insure with State Farm. She got a good student discount, a driver's ed discount, and they gave her a video to watch which got another discount. I asked if there were any other ways to get discounts for her and there weren't. We were able to just cover her on the one car and not have to insure her on our other one, it just means that she can only drive that one. I'm scared of what it's going to be when my ds starts driving in a couple of years.

Ours nearly tripled....for a girl! With a good student discount, and none of us with tickets/etc on our records. Only one of three cars with full coverage, and the rest with liability only.

We were with Farmers.

We switched to Geico.

Do I sound like a commercial? Maybe, but it brought our premiums back down to reality.

My ds 12 year old car is almost triple my brand new car. It does not matter how old the car is it will be atleast double if not triple. That being said ways to possible reduce is a/b honor roll, drivers ed, call and compare and ask insurance companies directly what would help reduce.

Ours went up around $70/month. That would have been a 50% increase. Wasn't as high as I thought it would be based on what I heard people say beforehand. Then he totalled the car, and it went up another $80/month. When we went to where he could only drive one car, and not be insured on the others in the house (not just not assigned to the other cars, but not able to drive them), it went back down significantly. He did get a good student discount. And took drivers ed locally but our insurance only looks at grades. When second ds was added, it didn't go up any more.

Edited by CathieC

Ours went up just $50/mo. That's 18yo boy with his own beater car, and good student discount. We switched to Progressive because it was going to be twice that with our previous company, Allstate.

Edited by milovaný

We made teen girl wait until she was 18, got the good student discount, and it went up about $60/month to add her...but we also had to get a second car so in reality we went from $45/month on our old 1999 van to $145ish adding dd (who drives the old van now) and a 2010 sedan for moi. DD is covered on both vehicles although she will drive my sedan over my dead body ;-)

It helps I am the primary driver, with no accidents/tickets (knock wood) and less than 8,000 miles driving a year.

Ours went up $112 a month. He drives a 2003 Tahoe, but can also drive our other two vehicles.

Ditto, $112 per month on a 2003 Toyota, and that includes a good student discount.

It costs less to insure my husband driving a truck, me driving a van plus our camper for less per month combined than the one teen boy. Can't wait to add another one soon. :001_huh: