Menu

does this phrase bother you....

It's not because my body carries a child, that my DH doesn't have anything to do with it.

I have the fysical loads, but he was there for me, every day over and over and over again. I was extremely hormonal during pregnancies.

So for my feeling, he can say that "we were pregnant". He was my mental support, without him, I couldn't have done it.

But he never said that ;) he always said that we were expecting a child.

okay, but how would you feel if your DH said "we're menstruating this week" - sure he may have been there to bring you a heating pad for your cramps or gone out to the store to get you cookies when you had the munchies, but I am fairly sure most women would (figuratively) rip their DH's head off if he said that. (I'm being kind of facetious here, so don't rip my head off). My problem with the phrase is purely the use of the word "pregnant" which has specific meaning and no man has ever been pregnant. It has nothing to do with not being happy for the couple, but my English-vocab snob self just can't get past the usage of an incorrect word. ;)

Not really, but I admit to feeling a little twinge when someone announces a pregnancy by saying, "I'm going to have a baby!" After suffering through my first (of several) miscarriages I realized how presumptuous that statement sounds...you're only pregnant. Unfortunately, it doesn't guarantee a baby in your arms at the end.

No it doesn't bother me at all. Genocide bothers me. Human trafficking bothers me. Abuse bothers me. Addiction. Rampant hunger and preventable disease. Oppressive dictatorships. On a lesser scale, insensitivity toward physically and mentally disabled people (and their parents). Irresponsible politicians. Willful ignorance in general. But honestly, there are enough things out there in the world that are worth getting worked up over that being "bothered" by how people phrase their happy news just seems a little bit....well...petty. To me. If a family is excited about a new addition, I'm just happy for them.

Not really, but I admit to feeling a little twinge when someone announces a pregnancy by saying, "I'm going to have a baby!" After suffering through my first (of several) miscarriages I realized how presumptuous that statement sounds...you're only pregnant. Unfortunately, it doesn't guarantee a baby in your arms at the end.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

No it doesn't bother me at all. Genocide bothers me. Human trafficking bothers me. Abuse bothers me. Addiction. Rampant hunger and preventable disease. Oppressive dictatorships. On a lesser scale, insensitivity toward physically and mentally disabled people (and their parents). Irresponsible politicians. Willful ignorance in general. But honestly, there are enough things out there in the world that are worth getting worked up over that being "bothered" by how people phrase their happy news just seems a little bit....well...petty. To me. If a family is excited about a new addition, I'm just happy for them.

So you've never said that someone chewing with their mouth open bothered you? You just don't use that phrase except regarding horrendous evil? That's your prerogative. I don't think it's necessary to get on a thread and chide someone for being petty. We all have pet peeves. That's all she was saying. :chillpill:

So you've never said that someone chewing with their mouth open bothered you? You just don't use that phrase except regarding horrendous evil? That's your prerogative. I don't think it's necessary to get on a thread and chide someone for being petty. We all have pet peeves. That's all she was saying. :chillpill:

Personal provocation: perniciously pronouncing pet peeves "petty".

Maybe it's the month I've been having. Or maybe one of my personal peeves is consternation and whining over things that in the grand scheme of things just really don't matter and nit-picky criticism of people who are generally just trying their darndest to get through life more or less intact. I usually bite my tongue when I see those things floating around here, and probably I should have this time as well.

You know what Janie, mamasheep just had a devastating miscarriage so why don't you lay off?

And she is right! In the grand scheme of things it is extremely unimportant and yeah people are entitled to their opinion. When you state your opinion make sure you are ready to hear how childish and peevish it is too.

okay, but how would you feel if your DH said "we're menstruating this week" - sure he may have been there to bring you a heating pad for your cramps or gone out to the store to get you cookies when you had the munchies, but I am fairly sure most women would (figuratively) rip their DH's head off if he said that. (I'm being kind of facetious here, so don't rip my head off). My problem with the phrase is purely the use of the word "pregnant" which has specific meaning and no man has ever been pregnant. It has nothing to do with not being happy for the couple, but my English-vocab snob self just can't get past the usage of an incorrect word. ;)

No a man has never been pregnant but comparing pregnancy and menstration is like comparing apples and oranges. Menstration is what a womens body automatically goes through with no outside help. To become pregnant you do need a man to contribute, even at the most base of levels.

Maybe it's the month I've been having. Or maybe one of my personal peeves is consternation and whining over things that in the grand scheme of things just really don't matter and nit-picky criticism of people who are generally just trying their darndest to get through life more or less intact. I usually bite my tongue when I see those things floating around here, and probably I should have this time as well.

So mild peevishness at abuse of the English language is so irritating to you that it is elevated to "consternation and whining", and your irritation does matter in the Grand Scheme Of Things. I see what you did there... the peevishness just has to be hypocritical to be okay. :001_huh:

:001_smile: I don't mean to stir things, I really don't, but I don't think the OP said it bothered her, she asked if it bothered us. The way I read it at first, it was maybe something she'd said that someone had got huffy about. Maybe?

Best wishes

Cassy

So mild peevishness at abuse of the English language is so irritating to you that it is elevated to "consternation and whining", and your irritation does matter in the Grand Scheme Of Things. I see what you did there... the peevishness just has to be hypocritical to be okay. :001_huh:

You only sort of saw what I did there. I was admitting to having pet peeves in a round-about way as a mea culpa. But go ahead and whine and be consternated about my "hypocrisy" if you like, it really doesn't matter to me in the grand scheme of things. ;) (Did I mention nit-picky criticism of people who are generally just trying their darndest to get through life more or less intact?)

But in all seriousness,the point you missed is that it's not the "abuse of the English language is so irritating to [me]", it's that people's sense of proportion is so drastically skewed that I find annoying today. Although frankly, just at the moment I find myself envious of people whose troubles in life are so small that they have time and energy to obsess about how an announcement is phrased, or people who chew with their mouths open, or pick their nose, or can't match their purse to their shoes shoes, or whether that "look" their neighbor gave them "meant something".

I fully admit I'm in a "mood". The sort of mood that makes me want to go shake people and say, "Look, your neighbor cared enough one way or the other to acknowledge your existence. At least the woman HAS shoes. Isn't it wonderful that that guy over there has fingers dextrous enough to make it up his dang nostril if that's where he wants it! How awesome is it that people around here have enough food to be sufficiently content to even CARE about table manners? And if someone is blessed enough to be 'expecting' a baby, don't rain on their parade." And to be perfectly honest, I have to add, "How incredibly awesome it is that you have time and energy to worry about how someone phrased their announcement! How wonderfully peaceful your life must be." I almost wish I could see things that way today. I am TIRED of big problems. Tired. And it would be really nice to be "bothered" by something like that today. I really wish I could be.

I just kind of wish people would spend more time finding small things to be grateful for or to compliment and less time tearing each other down.

You know what Janie, mamasheep just had a devastating miscarriage so why don't you lay off?

And she is right! In the grand scheme of things it is extremely unimportant and yeah people are entitled to their opinion. When you state your opinion make sure you are ready to hear how childish and peevish it is too.

It's ok. I'm sure I'm being oversensitive. I'm going to go do something else for a while. But thanks for sticking up for me. :grouphug:

Edited by MamaSheep

You only sort of saw what I did there... in all seriousness,the point you missed is that it's not the "abuse of the English language is so irritating to [me]", it's that people's sense of proportion is so drastically skewed that I find annoying today. Although frankly, just at the moment I find myself envious of people whose troubles in life are so small that obsessing about how an announcement is phrased, or people who chew with their mouths open, or pick their nose, or can't match their purse to their shoes shoes, or whether that "look" their neighbor gave them "meant something".

Perhaps you should go back and read the thread some more before replying further. I missed nothing, and never said that you were irritated at the abuse of the English language. I quite understand the situation: you're peeved and venting, with a bit of hyperbole thrown in, about someone else who's peeved. :willy_nilly::cheers2:

I fully admit I'm in a "mood".

I don't understand why a pet-peeve thread is so offensive. There simply is no rule that we can only discuss Topics Of Great Significance To The Human Race.

And to be perfectly honest, I have to add, "How incredibly awesome it is that you have time and energy to worry about how someone phrased their announcement!

That is pretty awesome. When I'm not dying of cancer or having my leg chewed off by an angry weasel, I do tend to turn my focus in fairly random directions at times, including reading online discussion threads that really don't amount to a hill of beans in overall importance to the human race, such as this one. Sometimes I even use my blessed free time to comment in them.

I just kind of wish people would spend more time finding small things to be grateful for or to compliment and less time tearing each other down.

But tearing down mediocrity can be quite soothing to someone who cares about quality. You should try it!

Perhaps you should go back and read the thread some more before replying further. I missed nothing, and never said that you were irritated at the abuse of the English language. I quite understand the situation: you're peeved and venting, with a bit of hyperbole thrown in, about someone else who's peeved. :willy_nilly::cheers2:

Not exactly, but it's not worth arguing over.

And I've read the whole thread.

I don't understand why a pet-peeve thread is so offensive. There simply is no rule that we can only discuss Topics Of Great Significance To The Human Race.

There's also no rule that we can't get irritated when people are picking each other apart over inconsequentials. If you want to get down to rules. ;) You don't have to feel the same way about it that I do, but I don't have to feel the same way about it that you do either.

That is pretty awesome. When I'm not dying of cancer or having my leg chewed off by an angry weasel, I do tend to turn my focus in fairly random directions at times, including reading online discussion threads that really don't amount to a hill of beans in overall importance to the human race, such as this one. Sometimes I even use my blessed free time to comment in them.

Me too. Sometimes I've even been known to vent on them. :D

But tearing down mediocrity can be quite soothing to someone who cares about quality. You should try it!

Oh I have, though it's been a while since I found it a particularly delightsome pasttime. Between autism and infertility and several other issues that are factors in my life the pick-pick-picking has been directed at me enough that it hurts when I see it directed at others. And also enough to know there's usually more to the story than the critical observer is aware of, and most people are really doing the best they know how, even if mediocrity is something they can only aspire to. I've also discovered that building people up is even more "soothing" than knocking them down, even if it's just in effigy on an anonymous internet forum thread. But again, that's just me. You don't have to feel the same about it that I do, and you're more than welcome to carry on if it makes you happy. I feel differently and now and again I might mention that fact on a day when it particularly pinches. I bet we can be friends anyway. (I'll check my back now and then for needles, and carry on.)

Also, you should really do something about that weasel. I hear they make traps for that kind of thing. :lol:

Not exactly, but it's not worth arguing over.

And I've read the whole thread.

There's also no rule that we can't get irritated when people are picking each other apart over inconsequentials. If you want to get down to rules. ;) You don't have to feel the same way about it that I do, but I don't have to feel the same way about it that you do either.

Me too. Sometimes I've even been known to vent on them. :D

Oh I have, though it's been a while since I found it a particularly delightsome pasttime. Between autism and infertility and several other issues that are factors in my life the pick-pick-picking has been directed at me enough that it hurts when I see it directed at others. And also enough to know there's usually more to the story than the critical observer is aware of, and most people are really doing the best they know how, even if mediocrity is something they can only aspire to. I've also discovered that building people up is even more "soothing" than knocking them down, even if it's just in effigy on an anonymous internet forum thread. But again, that's just me. You don't have to feel the same about it that I do, and you're more than welcome to carry on if it makes you happy. I feel differently and now and again I might mention that fact on a day when it particularly pinches. I bet we can be friends anyway. (I'll check my back now and then for needles, and carry on.)

Also, you should really do something about that weasel. I hear they make traps for that kind of thing. :lol:

Mamasheep, :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:. (btw, I agree with you :D)