Menu

Any experiences with Interlochen's writing program?

My daughter (12yo) is looking into spending 3 weeks in Interlochen's summer creative writing program. If she goes, it will be her first extended stay away from home! I would love to hear from anyone whose child has spend a summer at Interlochen - the good, the bad, what to expect, etc....

That's a positive review if your daughter is in school there now!

Some questions:

Do the kids interact across majors?

Do the younger kids interact with the older kids?

How intense is the intermediate creative writing program? (You may not be able to answer that one, since I see your daughter studies flute.)

Is there a way to purchase used uniforms?

Do the kids interact across majors?

Yes they do! The cabins are made up of kids who are close in age/grade to one another, but they are quite diverse between the majors. My dd's best summer friends came from her cabin and from girls her cabin mates introduced her to.

Do the younger kids interact with the older kids?

Middle school stays with middle school, high school with high school, etc. They are identified by the color of socks. Middle schoolers wear red socks :) The camp doesn't encourage crossing those lines, and it is especially picky about kids of opposite gender crossing the lines. The high school boys (probably the girls, too) are instructed: "Red means STOP!" (referring to sock color). When my dd was in middle school, one of the boys from her chamber music ensemble was a high schooler at the camp. The two had spent countless unsupervised hours together back home, and additionally, dd's friend was gay. Dd decided to take a chance when she finally encountered him at camp--she ran up and gave him a huge hug. :lol:

How intense is the intermediate creative writing program? (You may not be able to answer that one, since I see your daughter studies flute.)

Interlochen is great for immersing oneself in the culture of the arts and everything that goes along with it. None of the programs is particularly "intense". An engaged, serious student will handle it beautifully. That having been said, there will be intense kids, and there's a certain amount of comparing oneself to others that goes on. It's the nature of having a bunch of talented kids in one place. The summer program will still have a very camp like feel.

Is there a way to purchase used uniforms?

Officially, not really. Some people sell them on ebay. When you know for sure that your dd will be going this summer, let me know (via PM). I can probably hook you up with some used shirts, since they're the same ones that the kids wear at school. Start keeping your eye open now for navy shorts/skirts/capris (whatever your dd likes). Places like Old Navy, Target, and Forever 21 often get them at odd times and then don't have them when you're really trying to find them.

One of the Academy girls that we carpool with from Ohio to MI is a senior in Creative Writing. She loves the program, and she also went to camp there first. This is an exciting journey. Congratulations to you and your dd for having the courage to put yourselves out there!