Menu

Probaby TMI Question --- Women only please.

How long post pregnancy does it take for periods to become regular/normal again? I know it's different for most people and even with all my dc it was different.

With my first and second it started again within the first 3, 4 months and was regular again from then on.

With my third, it started again around 8/9 months and it was mostly regular again from then on, off by maybe 2-3 days each month.

Now, this baby will be 4 months tomorrow. I got one period on Dec 29th. It lasted 4 days and I've had nothing since then. So that's 37 days now.

For the past few days, I've had menstrual-like light cramping and occasional lower back pain, but it still hasn't come.

Should I be worried that I may be pregnant?

It was 2 years for me before I had a period at all, but I nursed exclusively for 15 months (medical tongue/swallowing/oral defensiveness issues. Not because I wanted to.) and then nursed a lot til he was just turning 2. But I also have never had regular periods anyway.

Edited by Sputterduck

You're probably not preggers then. You could always go pee on a stick like Parrothead suggests, but if you're nursing I would think it highly unlikely. But for peace of mind you may want to.

I had a pregnancy (miscarried, 5 weeks) when I was nursing exclusively!

OP you can do an HPT to see if it's a pregnancy......if not, it is considered normal while exclusively breastfeeding for your cycles to start/stop, be really light, or non-existent for months, sometimes years while breastfeeding.

I had a pregnancy (miscarried, 5 weeks) when I was nursing exclusively!

OP you can do an HPT to see if it's a pregnancy......if not, it is considered normal while exclusively breastfeeding for your cycles to start/stop, be really light, or non-existent for months, sometimes years while breastfeeding.

Wow! I never got a period while I was nursing until my kids starting eating more solid foods. You learn something new everyday. Yeah go do the pregnancy test then OP.

It varies person to person. And it depends upon if you are nursing, how often you nurse, etc. You could have gotten a period and then nursing could steer it off again for several months.

I get mine back at 12mos. SIL gets her's back within a couple of months. Both of us nurse. I co-sleep; she does not.

It varies. I nurse at least a year and don't get my period back til after a year (the last one was 14 months). They aren't regular for quite a while after that (another year maybe). I think you should take a test just to set your mind at ease... or wait a few days and then test if you don't start.

Wow! I never got a period while I was nursing until my kids starting eating more solid foods. You learn something new everyday. Yeah go do the pregnancy test then OP.

I didn't get a period, I ovulated.....and then knew, could tell by how I was feeling and DS was fussing with nursing, DH suggested I test since pregnancy can change the taste of breastmilk and that might be why DS was fussing at feedings (making faces, didn't want to nurse, would start and stop).....HPT was a faint positive, first beta at doc's office confirmed I was pregnant, second beta was declining :sad:, so it wasn't going to continue, a week later I had a period.

I didn't get a period, I ovulated.....and then knew, could tell by how I was feeling and DS was fussing with nursing, DH suggested I test since pregnancy can change the taste of breastmilk and that might be why DS was fussing at feedings (making faces, didn't want to nurse, would start and stop).....HPT was a faint positive, first beta at doc's office confirmed I was pregnant, second beta was declining :sad:, so it wasn't going to continue, a week later I had a period.

:grouphug::grouphug: I'm so sorry. :(

Lucky all of you who got a break! I'm jealous.

I never missed a period, even with the child I successfully nursed for 15 months (and I pumped for three months for the other two). 28 days after the postpartum stopped, there was Aunt Flo...

It really can be all over the place. I've gotten my cycle back at 6 months with one baby and 13 months with the next. My lo is 10 1/2 months old now and I got my first cycle when she was 8 1/2 months and that one was awful then the next one didn't show up until 7 weeks later. It all depends on how much you nurse, etc.