Menu

Never change into pajamas?

For those that don't allow home schooling in pajamas during the day, what time does their family get ready for bed and put pajamas on? Or just sleep in clothes? It seems from the posts that some let their kids home school in pjs all day---now I am wondering if some families are dressed all day long into the night?

I try to keep my kids from wearing their sleeping clothes around the house, but they aren't always specifically pjs, so sometimes it's hard to tell (but I don't like dirt from outside in their beds, so I stress changing out of their around the house clothes before they go to bed). They usually change sometime in the evening, after they've gone to their rooms. Dh and I change from regular clothes to sweats in the evening to watch TV in, but pjs for bed.

Not allow to do homeschooling with pj's on? Seriously.. I thought that was one of the perks of homeschooling? Of course my kids don't do it everyday but, really. At some point my girls put their clothes on because they have to go to some sort of activity. Even my two middles who are attending private school right now their school does pajama Day! LOL Most days for my 14 yr old its by 10 oclock she gets dressed. My 5yr old doesn't like to stay in her pajamas to long. She likes to get out of them as soon as she can.

ON the days they wear pj's all day they just wear their jammies to bed.

If they wear clothes , about 7:30pm, it time to get ready for bed and put on the jammies.

Take a moment to watch the 7 myths of homeschooling debunked... watch it through its entirety. I think you'll appreciate what the teen says at the end. LOL

My kids can school in their pjs until 9 a.m., but then we break and change into our "day" clothes. At night, we generally change into our pajamas after it gets dark, so it varies throughout the year. In the summer, we can have visitors right up until about 10 p.m., so we stay dressed until retiring for the night. In the winter, well, no one around here bats an eyelash at us walking the dogs after dark with pajama bottoms showing, so we generally change into pajamas around 7:30 - 8 p.m.

We like our day clothes though. I get the feeling that for some folks though, they don't like their day clothes all that much, and prefer their pajamas more. :)

My kids are weird and won't leave their pajamas on. I don't feel strongly that they absolutely must get dressed, but they always do. They get dressed before coming downstairs, so usually by 8:30 or 9 am. I do the same just because that's my personal habit and I feel more awake that way.

They change into PJs around 7pm when we start the bedtime routine. DS1 sometimes waits until more like 8.

They are almost 8, newly 5, and the baby is 22 months (and still comes downstairs in pjs many days). I usually put him in "real clothes" after his nap because he sweats a lot while sleeping.

My 8 year old thinks pj's = bedtime & sleeping. As soon as she wakes up she gets dressed. She doesn't usually like to put her pj's back on until when it's time to go to bed. There have been times where I've suggested that she just put her pj's on for the evening and be comfy. But, if there is anything to still do in the evening....like a movie to watch or a snack to eat....she doesn't want those pj's on.

My ds would occasionally wear pj pants and a t-shirt at the beginning of the day while doing math. But, his schedule changed now and he needs to be at a class at the high school by 9:00. So he gets up, showers, and gets dressed.

I might lounge around a little in comfy pj's or a nightgown and robe (not now that I need to get ds up to the school). But, if I'm still in pj's by 11:00 a.m. I feel like I'm being lazy and that I'm not getting on with my day (although....I do think those pajama jeans would be cool to have). :001_smile: I kinda feel, personally, that I don't get as much accomplished if I'm still in pj's.....kind of like the FlyLady and "getting dressed to shoes" (but in this case it's not shoes...it's just getting dressed :D ).

I guess we aren't people that stay in pj's all day. Certainly we would never wear them in public, like to the store, like some people do. :001_huh:

We have "going somewhere" clothes (a little nicer than play clothes) that we put on if we are leaving the house. If we are staying home I don't care what you have on as long as you have something on ;)

Somedays kiddos will wear pj pants and t-shirts all day and just change after their shower that night to clean pj's. Other days they sleep in shorts and t-shirts and of course wear those the rest of the day. I tend to wear tshirts & shorts to sleep in and wear all day. Sometimes once up I switch to sweat pants.

My older girls had some nightgowns/pj's but it just didn't seem to happen with the youngers. They all take showers in the evening and put on clean clothes--the girls mostly sweats. Somewhere along the line they are dressed before they leave the house in the morning--not sure when that happens. My youngest usually wears basketball shorts to bed, with a t-shirt, but changes in the morning. Ds just sleeps in his clean clothes. It works.

With my 9th grade DS--- I guess its just the wrinkled look that prevents him from sleeping in his clothes....Though it probably shouldn't, it would bother me if he wore the same thing for 24 hours. My 18 can make his own mistakes...lol

:001_huh: I thought we were pretty normal. Get up and get dressed for the day in the morning. In the evening the babies are often bathed and put into pjs to relax before bedtime, but everyone else waits until it is bedtime before putting on pjs. Showers vary. Some shower in the morning, others at night.

We wear pjs until we have to go out of the house. Sometimes ds will change into "in the house clothes" such as sweatpants that are too short or have holes in the knees and/or less attractive over sized shirts like the one he "tye-dyed" in VBY last summer.

PJs go back at on bedtime... his at 8ish, dh and I whenever we're actually getting into the bed.

Some people do wear their regular clothes all day long and into the night. I have heard other mothers say that after their children bathe at night they go straight into the next day's clothes and sleep in them. Apparently it saves time in the morning -- the kids wake up already dressed for the day.

My 13yo doesn't like to wear pajamas and will sleep in his jeans if left to his own devices.

My children put on their pajamas after they come in for the night. My younger kids would wear pajamas 24/7, and sometimes they do if we don't have to go anywhere.

Even if we aren't going out I still like to shower and dress for the day (jeans and a top or, sometimes, clean workout gear if I'm planning to exercise later in the day).

Unless it's sweatpants and a sweatshirt or something similar, I can't imagine sleeping in clothes would be comfy. Even when my DS2 takes his nap, I make sure the clothes he is wearing are comfy. If he's wearing jeans or something with a zipper, I change him.

We get dressed in the morning (most of the time) before we go downstairs and the kids put pjs on after dinner when they are getting ready for bed.

We shower and dress in the morning either right before breakfast or right after breakfast. For us it sort of signals the start of the day. Nothing has to be taken seriously until after that shower! Certainly not homeschool!

We don't have bedtimes for the kids, and sometimes the youngest have fallen asleep in their clothes on the couch and I don't have the heart to wake them up to put on pjs. The older kids sleep in sweatpants and the youngest dd has some nightgowns that she likes. I'll sleep in sweats if it's cold, but I like pjs.

For those that don't allow home schooling in pajamas during the day, what time does their family get ready for bed and put pajamas on? Or just sleep in clothes? It seems from the posts that some let their kids home school in pjs all day---now I am wondering if some families are dressed all day long into the night?

Yup, I am dressed all day long into the night. This means when I get home and it's winter, I don't expect to go out anymore, I change into sleepwear or whatever is comfortable from day clothes or work clothes.

In summer, I am usually dressed until I go to bed because I am outside until late in the evening.

Dh and I both shower in AM, then get dressed. Kids dress right after breakfast (which is right after my shower). No one puts on PJs until bed time. Bath nights (every other night) for kids is just before bed.

Before the twins, I was very loosey goosey with my schedule. Once they were born, everything was on a strict schedule or I would of lost my mind. Although, dh thinks my whole head is lost. :tongue_smilie:

I used to let my dd stay in her pj's when she was littler, but even then I had her put her play clothes on by noon. Nowadays we exercise first thing in the morning (P.E.) she she dresses for that and changes into her shorts and t-shirts when we come back home. She changes into her pj's after she takes a shower when she's getting ready for bed. Otherwise she's in shorts and t shirts pretty much the whole day.

Most of mine sleep in T-shirt and underwear, or just underwear in the summer. If it is cold, they sleep in sweat suits. One of mine sleeps in jeans and T-shirt.

They have owned pajamas at times, but my daughter wears them just like regular clothes as often as not, and my boys won't wear them past 5yo, so we don't buy them anymore (except sometimes for my daughter).

My girls change to shorts and a tank top to sleep in. I sleep in either a t-shirt and undies or in the buff. My girls go to school now so on those days they get up and get dressed in clothes but then when they get home they change into pjs. When I get up I get dressed in pjs and then if I have to go somewhere then I change into clothes.

I kinda feel, personally, that I don't get as much accomplished if I'm still in pj's.....kind of like the FlyLady and "getting dressed to shoes" (but in this case it's not shoes...it's just getting dressed :D ).

For some reason I don't feel like I can accomplish as much when my pajamas are on.:)

:iagree: I've heard that there's been some research supporting this. For instance, the studies found that office workers were getting less done on "casual Fridays," and their productivity picked up when they went back to wearing standard business attire 5 days a week. Not that I'm advocating 3 piece suits for homeschoolers ;), but I suspect that this is a real phenomenon.

Ds17 changes into pjs when he is going to his room for the night. He may still be doing homework or gaming, but I don't expect to see him much after he puts them on. He sleeps in just bottoms, without a shirt.

DD13 will change in and out of pjs all day long. She loves them. For her, they are a comfy t-shirt and lounge style pants. She usually has almost as many pants that are 'pajama pants' as daytime jeans/pants/yoga pants etc.

DD5 changes about 30 minutes before bed. It is a mental cue for her. She will wear pjs the next day until there is a reason not to, like going outside or leaving the house.

Dh wears dress clothes for work, and changes right before bed. He will shower, change clothes and climb into bed. In the morning, he showers again, before he comes downstairs and gets dressed again. He is in work clothes all but 8 hours a day. On the weekend, he will linger in his pjs for a while, but not longer than an hour or two.

I sleep in soft cotton yoga pants/light weight sweats and a t-shirt and a light sweat shirt. I don't shower until I have to leave the house, so I am in my pjs late in the day sometimes. It is close to noon now, and I am not dressed yet. I do not wear yoga pants into town, so I do change before I go anywhere. If someone saw what I was wearing, they wouldn't think of it as my pjs, just workout wear or very casual clothes.

I never cared if my kids home schooled in thier pjs, but they were not allowed to have blankets at the table. They could have robes, but something about blankets drove me nuts.

Dc take baths and put on jammies around 7 p.m. when they're little. Once they're old enough to bathe and whatnot on their own, they still bathe and put on jammies before bed, whatever time that is.

I shower at night and put on jammies.

We always wear jammies unless we're camping.

We all get dressed in the morning, I as soon as I get up, dc sometime before 9.

Jammie Day is special and rare. :-)

:iagree: I've heard that there's been some research supporting this. For instance, the studies found that office workers were getting less done on "casual Fridays," and their productivity picked up when they went back to wearing standard business attire 5 days a week. Not that I'm advocating 3 piece suits for homeschoolers ;), but I suspect that this is a real phenomenon.

We put pajamas on right before bed.

In the morning, I shower and get dressed before we start schoolwork. The kids just get dressed.

I wouldn't get anything done if I wore my pajamas all day.

We expect our children to pick up after themselves, check their zones, and get dressed for the day before coming down for breakfast. Our bedrooms are upstairs and our school/public areas are downstairs. It makes sense to get dressed before coming down so we won't have trapsing up and down the stairs possibly delaying school. Not to mention certain ages of children being unsupervised in our bedrooms. We often have visitors stop by during the day. Dh also comes home for lunch. I feel like if he has to get up and go to work to support our family it offers a sense of us working too. If he came home to us all lounging in pajamas it could appear differently.

We don't change out of our clothing until bedtime. For the children that can range between 8 and 10 depending on their ages. For us it is after the children go to bed.

We don't have a dress code. Dressed is often play clothes like sweat pants, an older pair of jeans, or a play dress. We have separate nice clothing. Once those get worn they become play clothes.

I'm not homeschooling this year due to outside issues, but the last four years (and as soon as DH finds a job and we can move) we had a firm rule of dressed by 8:30 am- no jammies. Now, dressed could mean sweatpants and sweat shirt or t shirt and jeans, whatever is weather appropriate, but something you could walk out of the house in.

My reasoning for this is that I am a big time spur-of-the moment person. I had their general outside classes and scheduled events blocked out on the calender. However, if I woke up that morning and it ended up a beautiful spring day, I would want to hop in the car and leave for a hike or the zoo or something ASAP. Sometimes, I'd find out about something cool in the last minute. If I had to wait until everyone found their clothes, dug up shoes etc, it could take a good hour before we got out the door.

Changing for bed is anytime after dinner and after later activities are finished. In the winter, that could be much earlier, because no one would want to go out and play when it's cold and dark before 5:00 pm. During the summer though, we've been known to go a park concert or catch fireflies well into the evening.

When we get up...we usually go ahead and get dressed for the day. Usually were all getting ready for bed around 8pm....Dad has to be up at 4:30am and so the house needs to be relatively quiet after about 8:30pm. The rest of us usually go to bed at 11pm.

I guess the problem at my house is me. I live in yoga pants & t-shirts. Nicely fitted, girly t-shirts, but t-shirts nonetheless. Mostly because my life goes like this:

I get up in the morning, put on a sports bra, socks & shoes & go workout.

I shower, put on a regular bra and a clean pair of yoga pants & t-shirt.

This is what I wear to go to the grocery store, park day, clean house, teach school, take kids to activities.

At night I wash my face, brush my teeth, remove my bra go to sleep.

If I am going on my weekly "date-night" I dress up. If I am going to church I dress up. If I am going to a GNO or something like book club, I will wear jeans & boots or a casual skirt & flats.

My children are similar. They rarely have dedicated PJs, they sleep in sweats or yoga pants that they can wear all day. Now that they are in more outside activities my older girls wear jeans or pants in the day, but sweats or yoga pants in the night.

I am only less productive if I don't put on a bra in the morning. Then I have to run & hide if the doorbell rings :D.

After typing this, I feel like too much of my life revolves around my bra.

Amber in SJ

Not allow to do homeschooling with pj's on? Seriously.. I thought that was one of the perks of homeschooling?

Nope, not at my house. To me, pajamas = time to unwind and get ready to go to sleep, and wearing pajamas when it's not bedtime = being lazy. We can't afford to be lazy on school days because there's work that needs to be done. Of course, my youngest is a high school junior, and her schoolwork is pretty serious business.

This jammies all day/no jammies at all/sleeping in clothes thing is totally new to me.:001_huh: My kids get dressed before breakfast, I shower and get dressed straight after they get sorted. They all take a bath each night before bad and get into jammies. We've only had a jammie day if we're all sick.

Seriously??? :tongue_smilie: I understood it to mean that once one woke up, one changed from the pj's they were sleeping in into daytime clothes. So in order to wake up in pj's, you gotta put 'em on at some point! At my house that point is usually right before or very close to bedtime.

:001_huh: I thought we were pretty normal. Get up and get dressed for the day in the morning. In the evening the babies are often bathed and put into pjs to relax before bedtime, but everyone else waits until it is bedtime before putting on pjs. Showers vary. Some shower in the morning, others at night.

That's what I thought was normal too! We do the same.

We wear pjs until we have to go out of the house. Sometimes ds will change into "in the house clothes" such as sweatpants that are too short or have holes in the knees and/or less attractive over sized shirts like the one he "tye-dyed" in VBY last summer.

PJs go back at on bedtime... his at 8ish, dh and I whenever we're actually getting into the bed.

This is what we do. My oldest usually wears "around the house clothes" but the little three only get dressed to go out and play or when we leave the house. They do take a shower every single morning though and put on clean underthings with new pajamas. I don't wear pjs just "around the house clothes" for me too. I take them off for bedtime :tongue_smilie:

Some people do wear their regular clothes all day long and into the night. I have heard other mothers say that after their children bathe at night they go straight into the next day's clothes and sleep in them. Apparently it saves time in the morning -- the kids wake up already dressed for the day.

:blink:

I'm trying to imagine why it would be so important to save time that one would have one's children sleep in their clothes. Not to mention how wrinkled the clothing would be in the morning...