Menu

Can anyone explain to me...?

LuvingLife

... The job prospects of the following careers?

Accounting: I got a lot of good feedback about this career, I like working with numbers, problem solving, and people, so this sounds like a good career.

Counseling: I like helping people overcome fears, being there for them and again working with people. But I also have heard it is not a good career for those with stress issues. And although I can deal with stress well (especially when it isn't life or death situation), too much stress for anyone isn't good.

Finance/Economics: Not my first career of choice, but it may be a good one. I may take some courses to introduce myself to it.

History: I enjoy this one the most, but it could take years to achieve a good job, maybe it is worth it in the end?

I could see myself doing all of these careers, and I am highly interested in knowing the job prospects of each one. And how much each one may pay.

ADD: (I am willing to work towards a master in fields that may require it as well.)

TIA!:bigear:

Edited by LuvingLife

I can only comment that in my five years working at a homeless shelter that i saw many, many new social work students come and go. They probably weren't paid huge amounts, but was even sadder to me was to see them come and go from happy folks who wanted to help others to being bitter and distrustful of their clients.

Accounting: I got a lot of good feedback about this career, I like working with numbers, problem solving, and people, so this sounds like a good career.

With the rise in computerized data collection and processing, there's been a rise in the need for people who understand statistics. If you like numbers and problems solving, have you considered a statistics-related career? The interesting thing about statistics is that you can combine it with another field, say, social work, or economics, or biology, and use that combination to help people, perhaps not in a one-on-one way, but indirectly.

I can only comment that in my five years working at a homeless shelter that i saw many, many new social work students come and go. They probably weren't paid huge amounts, but was even sadder to me was to see them come and go from happy folks who wanted to help others to being bitter and distrustful of their clients.

Yes, this is one of the main reasons I am not leaning towards this job, thank you for your input!:)

With the rise in computerized data collection and processing, there's been a rise in the need for people who understand statistics. If you like numbers and problems solving, have you considered a statistics-related career? The interesting thing about statistics is that you can combine it with another field, say, social work, or economics, or biology, and use that combination to help people, perhaps not in a one-on-one way, but indirectly.

I like statistics a lot, (not algebra lol!) but arithmetic is my favorite, I get it from my dad and I haven't considered a statistic related career. What kind of careers like that are out there?

Accounting can be an excellent career choice. You can get jobs at all kinds of businesses all over the states and even be self-employed should you decide you want to work at home someday.

If you go that route, study diligently. Do the reading and problems ahead of time, if you can. Then, when the prof discusses that material in class, you'll catch the details. From what I've observed, those who put off studying in the beginning, have a bugger of a time catching up.

If you're still interested, ask for more info on the general board. A number of posters are accountants, but they might not check out the College Board too often.

Good luck!

Accounting can be an excellent career choice. You can get jobs at all kinds of businesses all over the states and even be self-employed should you decide you want to work at home someday.

If you go that route, study diligently. Do the reading and problems ahead of time, if you can. Then, when the prof discusses that material in class, you'll catch the details. From what I've observed, those who put off studying in the beginning, have a bugger of a time catching up.

If you're still interested, ask for more info on the general board. A number of posters are accountants, but they might not check out the College Board too often.

Good luck!

Thanks for the great info MBM and I will be posting on the General Board as soon as I can!

You might be interested in checking out Georgetown's Center on Education and the Workforce. They've compiled a report called "What's It Worth? The Economic Value of College Majors." It offers statistical information on the economic outlook for various college majors, so you can see things like the median income, employment rates, etc. You can click on "Read the full report" to see the whole 182 page document, or you can just view the information for the fields you're considering.

Just want to add, do not make your decision solely based on what field might pay best - you were looking at various nursing and health care fields before - as no one can predict or promise a lucrative career. Better to study what is of interest to you and you are good at. If you are good with numbers and attention to detail, accounting may be a good idea. Or - it might drive you bonkers, and leave you longing for a more hands-on nursing job.

There is no right or wrong answer to any of your (many) questions. Could you just start at the local cc, take a class in accounting or finance and see if it is your cuppa tea? My now sophomore son thought he would be a history major - then started college thinking biology, but after two bio classes and the required chemistry he has discovered he loves - and is really good at - organic chemistry ( a 300 -level set of courses)! He HATED chemistry in high school. He would have NEVER chosen to major in chemistry before this year's classes.

Most kids do start college either not sure what to major in - or thinking they do, and changing their minds after a few classes. Unless you have a long-burning desire to study a certain subject or get into a particular profession ( which does not seem to be the case here after all your posts over the last several months) you just will not know for sure until you dive in.

Edited by JFSinIL

I agree with JFS - You'll never really know what you want to do until you try some courses, take what strikes your fancy and what you're good at. You may find something that you really love and things will happen so you will be able to pursue it professionally. College is not necessarily a training school. You will use the skills you gain all the rest of your life. But the best thing about college classes is that you can test your intellectual curiosities and abilities and follow your nose.

BTW - I'm rooting for accounting and finance/economics --- reading "The Big Short" by Michael Lewis ---- sounds like a whole world of interesting puzzles to be solved there.

BTW2 - I went into college as a History/French/Intl Relations major. I "discovered" science and computers/math. I came out a neuroscience major. Loved it enough to do a nice career for a while.

Edited by memphispeg
More prattling

I have to add, based on the many threads you have started here looking for info (which is great! We love to help!) you strike me as one of the students who will most likely start school and end up changing majors. So do not sweat it so much. Just get started (basic general courses are about the same for any major) and see where your interests and abilities lead you.

Having a stellar professor who sees a spark in you and takes you on in a mentoring capacity helps, too (this has happened with ds at his school.) You can not plan this sort of thing out, though.

Just want to add, do not make your decision solely based on what field might pay best - you were looking at various nursing and health care fields before - as no one can predict or promise a lucrative career. Better to study what is of interest to you and you are good at. If you are good with numbers and attention to detail, accounting may be a good idea. Or - it might drive you bonkers, and leave you longing for a more hands-on nursing job.

There is no right or wrong answer to any of your (many) questions. Could you just start at the local cc, take a class in accounting or finance and see if it is your cuppa tea? My now sophomore son thought he would be a history major - then started college thinking biology, but after two bio classes and the required chemistry he has discovered he loves - and is really good at - organic chemistry ( a 300 -level set of courses)! He HATED chemistry in high school. He would have NEVER chosen to major in chemistry before this year's classes.

Most kids do start college either not sure what to major in - or thinking they do, and changing their minds after a few classes. Unless you have a long-burning desire to study a certain subject or get into a particular profession ( which does not seem to be the case here after all your posts over the last several months) you just will not know for sure until you dive in.

JFS, I absolutely agree with you, I like all of these fields, history is my favorite, and Accounting is definitely my second favorite here. I posted a lot about nursing because I just wanted a degree that would pay well, but I was not cut out for the job. It was extremely overwhemling, at first I thought I could handle it but I was wrong and I see my mistake which is one I do not want to make again. I am going to take a few college classes next year to broaden my knowledge of all the majors out there and I do not want a career soley based on money. I see where you are coming from, and I know how confusing I have been over the past months, and there is much for me to learn and I appreciate your input. I'm always grateful. I may go in to college undecided and take course here and there, or I may choose a field and learn I love another. I don't know, and I will never put anything in stone!:)

I agree with JFS - You'll never really know what you want to do until you try some courses, take what strikes your fancy and what you're good at. You may find something that you really love and things will happen so you will be able to pursue it professionally. College is not necessarily a training school. You will use the skills you gain all the rest of your life. But the best thing about college classes is that you can test your intellectual curiosities and abilities and follow your nose.

BTW - I'm rooting for accounting and finance/economics --- reading "The Big Short" by Michael Lewis ---- sounds like a whole world of interesting puzzles to be solved there.

BTW2 - I went into college as a History/French/Intl Relations major. I "discovered" science and computers/math. I came out a neuroscience major. Loved it enough to do a nice career for a while.

Thank you memphispeg I really appreciate your input as well, I love, love, love to solve puzzles, I enjoy them so much which is why I like Accounting and finance/economics as well. My family and friends also call me the living, breathing, walking Google (I do so much research and absorb knowledge like crazy, I am always reading, writing, and researching things) so that is why I like History because it integrates all those things together. I won't set anything in stone, but I think I may have found something I enjoy.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and suggestions, they are appreciated!:001_smile:

You might be interested in checking out Georgetown's Center on Education and the Workforce. They've compiled a report called "What's It Worth? The Economic Value of College Majors." It offers statistical information on the economic outlook for various college majors, so you can see things like the median income, employment rates, etc. You can click on "Read the full report" to see the whole 182 page document, or you can just view the information for the fields you're considering.

Thanks sailmom, this looks awesome!:)

Counseling: I like helping people overcome fears, being there for them and again working with people. But I also have heard it is not a good career for those with stress issues. And although I can deal with stress well (especially when it isn't life or death situation), too much stress for anyone isn't good.

My brother is an accountant... even without a CPA license he has never had trouble finding a job. He's always held jobs working full time in the finance department of whatever company he's at. He also generates extra income during income tax season working at a small acccounting firm.

I have a close IRL friend who received her degree in counseling. In her case she chose Biblical Counseling and got her degree from an online university. It was an accredited university and she trained locally. Even when looking for mainstream counseling work she ended up working in group homes because she found it difficult to find work without a Master's Degree. I have an online friend whose husband has a degree in Child Psych and he's having difficulty finding jobs in his field because they don't want to pay for his specialty. He is qualified to do adult psychiatry, but specialty is with children so its been a harder job search for him.

I was a social work major in college. I dropped out for a number of reasons, but my first volunteer position in the field I realized immediately it was not the line of work for me. It would've broken me spiritually/mentally. I tend to be a more emotional person and take everything at face value... as in if someone says its true, then it must be. So it was definitely the wrong line of work for me!

If I could do it all over again - I would spend a year in college taking general courses and auditing courses in fields I was interested in learning more about before declaring a major.

My brother is an accountant... even without a CPA license he has never had trouble finding a job. He's always held jobs working full time in the finance department of whatever company he's at. He also generates extra income during income tax season working at a small acccounting firm.

I have a close IRL friend who received her degree in counseling. In her case she chose Biblical Counseling and got her degree from an online university. It was an accredited university and she trained locally. Even when looking for mainstream counseling work she ended up working in group homes because she found it difficult to find work without a Master's Degree. I have an online friend whose husband has a degree in Child Psych and he's having difficulty finding jobs in his field because they don't want to pay for his specialty. He is qualified to do adult psychiatry, but specialty is with children so its been a harder job search for him.

I was a social work major in college. I dropped out for a number of reasons, but my first volunteer position in the field I realized immediately it was not the line of work for me. It would've broken me spiritually/mentally. I tend to be a more emotional person and take everything at face value... as in if someone says its true, then it must be. So it was definitely the wrong line of work for me!

If I could do it all over again - I would spend a year in college taking general courses and auditing courses in fields I was interested in learning more about before declaring a major.

Thank you, I appreciate this so much!:001_smile:

You will find the answers to your questions in The Occupational Outlook Handbook. Here is a link to the online version. This is published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the US Dept. of Labor & is the most reputable resource available.

Great, thank you so very much TechWife, this is perfect!:)

• 3 weeks later...
Conseling: This is an excelent choice. This is the path I have decided to take. If you enjoy helping people you would love this job. There are many different areas that you can work in with this degree. It is a stressful job but not over the top.

http://www.startheregoplaces.com/ This is a really great website for high school students considering careers in accounting.

Thank you both so very much! :001_smile: