Menu

Why do these things always happen when dh is away?

We have a few homemade skate ramps at the bottom of our garden. The kids were playing around on them this morning and found a dead cat under one. The cat is just a farm cat that belongs to our neighbor who owns a barn across the lane from us. I called the farmer to tell him that one of his cats was dead and ask if he just wanted me to take care of it, or would he prefer to. As I expected, he wasn't bothered one way or another and said that I could take care of it or leave it in his shed for him to take care of. I didn't want to seem like a wimpy non-farmer, so I said that I'd take care of it. What was I thinking? I went down there with a shovel to scoop it up, and it was too deep under the ramp for me to be able to reach. So I thought I could just lift the ramp, slide it over, and get at the cat that way. No luck. The ramp has frozen to the boards under it. Aargh! I can't get through to dh on the phone. Do I call the farmer back and ask him to come remove it? He could reach under with his hands and grab it I think. Do I wait for dh to come back on the weekend? How much harm can a dead cat do in your garden?

I say this in all lovingness: Tell yourself "I can do this!", tighten those britches, grab a trashbag or a pair of disposable (or regular) gloves and get down to business :tongue_smilie:. You'll do great! Just think of the story you could tell your hubby when you finally do get a hold of him. If your kids are older, they could help dig a hole or you could put the poor dear in the trash bin.... :grouphug:

If I lived closer I'd come do it for you. :)

Sorted.

The kids spent some time chipping away the ice so we could move the ramp. I scooped the poor thing up with a shovel and buried it. So glad that I didn't have to call the farmer.

Country girl, you're a better woman than I am. I can handle taking care of it with a shovel, but that's as far as I'll go. :D

Sorted.

The kids spent some time chipping away the ice so we could move the ramp. I scooped the poor thing up with a shovel and buried it. So glad that I didn't have to call the farmer.

Country girl, you're a better woman than I am. I can handle taking care of it with a shovel, but that's as far as I'll go. :D

Well you're a better woman than I! I definitely would have waited for DH or called the farmer. Nice work!

Sorted.

Way to go! :D

When we moved out to this little farm it was more for me than hubby. My DH was a city boy, but has slowly come to the 'dark side', lol! Being the one that started this little farming venture and being the SAHM, I do most of the work here including the unpleasantries...I won't go into details, but sometimes things just have to be done and so I do them.

Well you're a better woman than I! I definitely would have waited for DH or called the farmer. Nice work!

Heh. Same here. I'd figure if it's cold enough for ice, it's cold enough for poor kitty to rest in frozen peace until somebody who isn't me can come to move him.

Well done, Megan!