Menu

Math Mammoth

I have a friend who has recently discovered Math Mammoth, and it has really helped her math-challenged kiddo. Her ds is not special needs, though. Has anyone had any experience with this program and could offer insight? I'm presently using MUS, but my ds (age 8) is still not quite getting the basic concepts. From what I understand, MM uses lots of drill done in different ways to drive a point home. Would appreciate your input.

With DD8, we tried several different programs before settling on MM. She still doesn't love math, but she is doing far better with this than any other program. 1-1/2 pages per day will get you through the year, so it really doesn't take too long. I find the explanations to the student to be excellent and concise. I go over it with her first (much to her chagrin) then set her loose on the day's assignment. It's been a good 6 months (relatively speaking!!). :tongue_smilie:

It's working ok for us at the moment, but what are your dc's issues? It's definitely not ideal for SN. There's a lot of work on the pages, it's pretty rigorous, and sometimes her explanations don't click with my dd. She has said it's the wording, ie. the fact that she's not a native english speaker. So that can be a lot of knocks for certain kids. I like the content, so we're just overlooking those things. You want to try the samples for yourself and see what you think. She gives you a ton of samples, or a single level isn't too expensive to buy.

With an 8 yo not getting math, I'd be more inclined to back up and use manipulatives. I like (make that LOVE) the lower levels of RS. MUS, Shiller, etc. would also be in that camp. With an 8 yo, is he 2nd? What SN diagnosis? And what is happening in the lessons that is giving him problems? You can try twenty things and not find the answer. Maybe if you can elaborate on your situation more, we can give you advice.

We use MM, and although my dd is not SN, I just wanted to say that I've never thought of MM as being drill. In fact, it's quite heavy on concepts, mental math, and word problems. What you may be thinking of, is the fact that it approaches each concept from multiple angles so that there is a thorough understanding. It also moves quite incrementally. I can't say whether it would be right for you, but I love it and my dd likes it. It is very cheap to try, as you can work from the extensive samples she offers, or you can purchase a single topic downloadable book (e.g. Addition) for a just a few bucks. If you do, I'd start a tiny bit further back than you think you need to; I think she does a fabulous job of building thinking and understanding pathways for kids, so it's good to give them a really solid foundation before moving on.

Due to difficulty with understanding math concepts, ds switched from MM to MUS this year. He is finally making progress and retaining info. He actually enjoys watching the short video segments for each lesson on DVD and will ask to watch it again if he really didn't understand. Then, I need to sit with him to work through the problems on the worksheets using the block manipulatives. The pages on MUS are also better for him (not as many problems per page, more room for him to write his answers).

We also go on the MUS site to do the games as reinforcement. Well, I shouldn't say games because it is nothing exciting. It is more like drill work to reinforce the concepts taught in each lesson. For fun, I add in math games from RS.

Definitely take a look at samples on both websites to compare the programs. I personally liked MM, but it just wasn't a good fit for ds.