Menu

Valentine Exchange

We took ours to the post office yesterday, only to discover that dd's lollipop valentines made it too thick for a "envelope", so now it's a "package" and we will have to pay about 4 times as much for each one. D'oh! I thought it just went by weight!

Spent a day deliberating, and finally decided to heck with it, we're sending them out tomorrow. DD was so happy to get the first two cards in the mail today. Someone was on the ball! :)

We finally finished ours today -- DS says he never wants to write his name again!:D They'll be heading out tomorrow or Saturday, depending on how lines look at the post office.

:lol: This was ds too. For those getting his card... well, remember he's 4! lol

You guys are the best!

My DD wants to send Xmas cards this year and stuffed animals. :001_huh:

She wants to up the ante after the lollipops!!!

I have created a Valentine monster...

DS is sick of writing his name too - he has grip problems but he sure likes dreaming of the mail coming to him. :D

We are slowly but surely working our way through two lists. I'm sure I'll be doing all of the envelope addressing at this point. Dd hates to write but loves to create.

We've received three envelopes so far - and I'm a softy and have been letting dd open them as they arrive. She loves getting mail and seeing what everyone has come up with.

Kathleen, did you you ask to be on both lists?

No, I don't believe I did. I followed the instructions in your initial private message, and I sent a message to MHowell that I wanted to be on the 20-person list. I received a 20-person list from MHowell, and that's the only list I received. Do you know if Moe matched the "send to" names with the "receive from" names?

I'll just feel bad if some people aren't getting all the Valentines they are supposed to receive.

I have a question. We received our first valentine today. We didn't open it yet, but I looked at the return address, and it is not somebody on the list of valentines we're sending. I assumed we were sending to & receiving from the same people. Could somebody please clarify for me?

Thanks so much!

Kathleen

I tried to set it up to send/receive from the same people, but the initial list was HUGE, so I had to cut it down and rotate through all the names so everyone would get around the same amount. Sorry for the confusion!

Ours will be going out Monday or Tuesday. Already received a few in the mail. I've been hiding them so the boys will get a stack on Valentine's Day! They are so excited!!

Jodie

I'm going to do the same thing! We received our first two yesterday (Saturday) and ours are going out tomorrow (Monday.) I kind of regret not just going all out and joining the "big" list. Next year!

We are three stamps short, so we've sent the majority out and will send the last three tomorrow morning.

We've gotten a few already, which has been so fun! My 6yo made a box for them so we can open them on The Actual Day. They love getting the mail. Thanks to everyone that's participated.

Ours all went out today as well! The boys are waiting for the 14th to be able to open all of them at once. Thanks for everyone that participated and a special thanks for those who organized this!!!!!!

Jodie

I agree! Except ours went out yesterday - lol. Thanks to those organizing. My daughter had been a little worried about missing her class party. We're planning a family party and she's saving each one she gets in the mail. She has 5 plus a few more from family.

How does one join this lovely event? My daughter would love to be part of this. I know it's too late but would love to join y'all next year.

I have a few extra Valentines, my girls would be happy to pop them in the mail. PM me if you're interested. :001_smile:

We took ours to the post office yesterday, only to discover that dd's lollipop valentines made it too thick for a "envelope", so now it's a "package" and we will have to pay about 4 times as much for each one. D'oh! I thought it just went by weight!

Spent a day deliberating, and finally decided to heck with it, we're sending them out tomorrow. DD was so happy to get the first two cards in the mail today. Someone was on the ball! :)

We had all of ours returned to us today (except 4?) stating they needed .20 more postage each. Okay, returned to the PO to buy the .20 stamps & the PO said the same as what you posted here. They are now parcels & will cost $1.95/EACH to mail. I have 40 envelopes, each with a valentine card & a piece of, idk, .20 candy. I nearly had a heart attack~very inappropriate for Valentines Day :).

After BRIEF deliberating I removed each piece of candy from the envelopes & put them in the mail, just with the cards. We're bummed & we're sorry it went this way, I guess I should pay better attention to postal regulations. The candy we passed out to friends at TKD. If we do this again in the future we'll stick to stickers or tattoos.

So, if you get cards from T.Jones or C.Jones, please know our intentions were better than our results. I just couldn't do $80 in surprise postage.

Can anybody think of a piece of REALLY FLAT candy that will mail with maybe just the .20 extra postage?

... So, if you get cards from T.Jones or C.Jones, please know our intentions were better than our results. I just couldn't do $80 in surprise postage.

Can anybody think of a piece of REALLY FLAT candy that will mail with maybe just the .20 extra postage?

I don't blame you! That's a lot of money.

We put Airheads in the envelopes, I hope they don't come back.

We had all of ours returned to us today (except 4?) stating they needed .20 more postage each. Okay, returned to the PO to buy the .20 stamps & the PO said the same as what you posted here. They are now parcels & will cost $1.95/EACH to mail. I have 40 envelopes, each with a valentine card & a piece of, idk, .20 candy. I nearly had a heart attack~very inappropriate for Valentines Day :).

After BRIEF deliberating I removed each piece of candy from the envelopes & put them in the mail, just with the cards. We're bummed & we're sorry it went this way, I guess I should pay better attention to postal regulations. The candy we passed out to friends at TKD. If we do this again in the future we'll stick to stickers or tattoos.

So, if you get cards from T.Jones or C.Jones, please know our intentions were better than our results. I just couldn't do $80 in surprise postage.

Wow! Postage for me was only 90 cents per envelope. Each had two pieces of candy, a card, and a sheet of stickers. Why would it vary that much?:001_huh:

We sent ours out early yesterday after putting a little mark on our map to indicate where they were going. We can't wait to put some marks on for incoming Valentines.

Amber in SJ

Great idea! It's still not too late for us to mark our map from the list of names.

Us4jones, that's exactly what it cost us. We sent you some valentines. :) Just wait till you see that collage of stamps across the top of the envelopes!! We only had 20 names, and my youngest dd picked out some super thin cards, so we bundled them together. I was not, however bright enough to think of putting siblings together in a larger envelope. I bet I could have saved a few bucks that way. Ah well...live and learn, right?

Caledonia, they told me that it was because the lollipop made the envelope too thick to pass through the slots in the machines, so they have to be handled as parcels instead of envelopes.

Us4jones, that's exactly what it cost us. We sent you some valentines. :) Just wait till you see that collage of stamps across the top of the envelopes!! We only had 20 names, and my youngest dd picked out some super thin cards, so we bundled them together. I was not, however bright enough to think of putting siblings together in a larger envelope. I bet I could have saved a few bucks that way. Ah well...live and learn, right?

I think the receiver will enjoy getting his/her own special envelope so it will be worth the extra bucks knowing you put a smile on a child's face!

Caledonia, they told me that it was because the lollipop made the envelope too thick to pass through the slots in the machines, so they have to be handled as parcels instead of envelopes.

The lady told me the same thing about being too thick to pass through the slots in the machines. We did lollipops and airheads. I hope she did not make a mistake and I get them all back again. :glare:

We have ours all stamped and ready to go out! We put a stick of gum in each one, so I think it is thin enough that the stamp should be okay. They smell really sweet. :001_smile:

The kids are so excited whenever a valentine comes in the mail! Thank you to everyone participating. :D