Menu

R&S Spelling vs. Spelling Workout

Nakia

This is my middle's 2nd year using R&S Spelling. I am looking ahead to next year (she will be in 4th grade), and I'm thinking about switching her to Spelling Workout after reading several recommendations. My oldest went to Sequential Spelling around the same age, but I don't think my middle needs to go that route.

So can you give me your opinions about each program from 4th grade on? Thanks!

Thank you for sharing your opinion! I'm just going by samples, and it's hard to tell. :001_smile:

my ds is a natural speller using R&S 4 and we both like it. the words themselves weren't challenging for the programs i was considering-SWO, SWS and R&S. so, i decided to look at the exercises and am very pleased i chose R&S. there is no busy work like i viewed in the other two programs. there is no memorization, rather there is a good deal of "working" with the words, which is really awesome.

my ds is a natural speller using R&S 4 and we both like it. the words themselves weren't challenging for the programs i was considering-SWO, SWS and R&S. so, i decided to look at the exercises and am very pleased i chose R&S. there is no busy work like i viewed in the other two programs. there is no memorization, rather there is a good deal of "working" with the words, which is really awesome.

Thank you!!

I love the lessons in R&S. The sections review the sound and structure of the sound, use the words, and build on the words. There is only one section we skip from time to time in the lesson. I have been pleased using this text.

I am using Megawords as well - at a slower pace - but it is for remediation and review as well as the verbal components.

We have been very pleased with Spelling Workout.

Each lesson presents the spelling rule and explains how the sounds and spelling work together with the rule. We have used levels C--H here, and haven't run into any busywork yet; we are not a workbooky family and generally avoid workbooks like the plague, but I appreciate how the exercises work to emphasize the spelling rule (grouping the words by type, learning definitions to put words in context, identifying and correcting common errors, and so on).

In the early levels, words are printed. At halfway though level C, words are in both print and cursive, and transition to cursive by level D. Using letters instead of numbers for the levels allows you to place your child at the appropriate level of difficulty for the child, without worrying about attaching a 'grade level' stigma to it (because there is no right or wrong there!).

In the last several books, there is a strong focus on Greek, Latin, French, and Spanish word roots and cognates, building still stronger language skills for a solid transition from spelling to vocabulary if you wish to do so.

Hope that helps!