Menu

Input~5th grade reluctant writer sample

Joyofsixreboot

My 5th grader hasn't really written other than copywork until this year. He had vision issues and is probably behind. What is your input on this sample from an IEW paragraph he rewrote from KWO.

The lodgepole pine is a very unique tree. Did you know it was an evergreen tree? Indians used lodgepole pines to make tipi poles. They were perfectly strait. They can be a hundred years old! The lodgepole pine pinecones are hard and depend on fires to make more. Today lodgepole pines are protected.

I haven't edited with him at all so this is his rough work.

My 5th grader hasn't really written other than copywork until this year. He had vision issues and is probably behind. What is your input on this sample from an IEW paragraph he rewrote from KWO.

The lodgepole pine is a very unique tree. Did you know it was an evergreen tree? Indians used lodgepole pines to make tipi poles. They were perfectly strait. They can be a hundred years old! The lodgepole pine pinecones are hard and depend on fires to make more. Today lodgepole pines are protected.

I haven't edited with him at all so this is his rough work.

KWO? Were all requirements of the assignment done? If yes, I'd say maybe correct the spelling of strait, but mostly point out things done well and try to encourage so as to move past the reluctance in order to do more. Also if it were me, I'd ask if there is anything he wants to add, or change, and give a chance to look up and perhaps add in more about the lodgepole pines. But mine likes that sort of thing, yours may not. If the assignment was done as assigned, that is enough. More practice will lead to better and better results without risking causing more reluctance by over-correcting or over-editing.