Menu

We Are Prisoners

The rule says that children 0 to 5 cannot be in my fenced in backyard without me physically outside with them. Ages 6 to 10 can be in the backyard w/o me physically outside with them, but I have to be able to see and hear them. My 6 & 7 year old were caught at the playground just outside our fence where I couldnt see them from inside my house.

I was hoping for hugs and sympathy, but that's ok, I understand. My post friends are outraged and I must live around an abnormal number of neglectful parents. All well.

This sounds like totally normal, appropriate rules. I am sorry you don't like them, but they seem to be fine. Not too restrictive and not too lenient.

I know you are planning to move with the intention of being able to give your children more freedom but I hope even in your new house you will take steps to keep your toddlers from running out of the house without supervision. Even in a secluded, wooded area there are hazards that can seriously injure a very young child.

This sounds like totally normal, appropriate rules. I am sorry you don't like them, but they seem to be fine. Not too restrictive and not too lenient.

:iagree: I don't let my under 5 crowd outside in our totally fenced backyard without supervision. You sound like a very relaxed Mom. Maybe you should take this time to re-evaluate your standards before moving onto wooded acerage.

Edited by Moxie

:iagree: I don't let my ds walk the dog alone during school hours. We live in a small town and the police station is about 3 blocks away. There are no truancy laws, but I just don't want to deal with any issues. At some point we may walk down there and introduce ourselves. But if they didn't know him, I'd expect some questions.

Whether people agree with your more free-range style is irrelevant. There are rules where you live. We're not military, but from an outside view I wouldn't view them as optional (does the military give you optional rules?). Yes, you may be getting singled out because of your previous incident, and yes it would tee me off a tad to be singled out. But they are still the rules. I've been the one who got the speeding ticket when I was in the flow of traffic, just because everyone else was speeding doesn't negate my breaking of the law.

Military bases must be much safer than I'm used to. I would never allow young kids to be out by themselves. Not even at 7. For the 2 year old, besides kidnappings, etc., they could climb something and fall (or be in the road near cars). I just would never do that.

I know you are planning to move with the intention of being able to give your children more freedom but I hope even in your new house you will take steps to keep your toddlers from running out of the house without supervision. Even in a secluded, wooded area there are hazards that can seriously injure a very young child.

Yes there are. We have a seasonal creek, thankfully it is very shallow or dry mostly. I have also had my 3 yo lose a pinky nail from a brother moving a large rock on it. They were building a fort out of rocks. His older brother is 9 and I could see them from the house. Thankfully the nail grew back.

My SIL also called me when my child was riding his bike around our circle driveway, I had marked a line that he wasn't to cross that was 20 or more back from the road but she was still concerned.

And my little one also has tried climbing trees to keep up with big brothers.

I haven't even touched on snakes or fire ants.

I'm sorry, but I don't get this attitude at all. It's your children's safety - so yes it is a big deal. And from what I understand of the military, it could affect your husband's job - so again a big deal.

Her two youngers have started the "escape artist" routine so she's dealing with that.

She made a parenting choice to let her older kids play unsupervised very close to home. It may not have been the parenting choice you would make but, again, it's a reasonable choice. It's not like the park is infested with drug dealers. It's very close to her home and almost all the neighborhood children are playing there at the same time.

Yes, there is the issue of the military rules. They are annoying and she should abide by them, but that's the only issue that I see here. She's not a neglectful mom and I agree with her: in the big picture this is NOT a big deal.

Military bases must be much safer than I'm used to. I would never allow young kids to be out by themselves. Not even at 7. For the 2 year old, besides kidnappings, etc., they could climb something and fall (or be in the road near cars). I just would never do that.

She didn't send her 2 year old and say "Have fun, buddy! See you at dinner!" He (she?) escaped and she's dealing with it! Good grief, people! It's not the first time a toddler has escaped. Even good moms have bad days. Give the woman a break!

Are we really so insecure that we need to kick another mom while she's down in order to feel good about our own parenting?

Her two youngers have started the "escape artist" routine so she's dealing with that.

She made a parenting choice to let her older kids play unsupervised very close to home. It may not have been the parenting choice you would make but, again, it's a reasonable choice. It's not like the park is infested with drug dealers. It's very close to her home and almost all the neighborhood children are playing there at the same time.

Yes, there is the issue of the military rules. They are annoying and she should abide by them, but that's the only issue that I see here. She's not a neglectful mom and I agree with her: in the big picture this is NOT a big deal.

It's not allowed for the 6 and 7 year old kids to be playing alone. She is obviously on the radar of the local moms and the Military Police for not watching her kids. That's why someone reported her, and that's why the MPs gave her a written warning.

But, for the record? One of my friends in Hawaii had the MPs bring her 8 year old home after the MP was just driving by and saw him playing unsupervised. The MP gave her a verbal warning. Her house was adjacent to the park. This is relatively common on military bases, IME.

I'm betting the OP got a written warning because 1) the MPs already collected a child of hers and 2) the neighbor who reported her probably told them that the youngers frequently escape.

and we did live on base at the time. It was stressful. Lucky for me, all he wanted to do was run to the next door neighbors and turn the water spigots on. So she would hear the water go on and call me. Sigh.

We solved it, though, with locks and vigilant supervision. It's not forever, but it's a scary little stage so you have my sympathy. It is exhausting having to be alert all of the time, but that plus barriers (locks, gates) are really all you can do.

When my twins were babies, I just took them with me outside while my older son played in the neighborhood. They did learn to nap in a stroller and to nurse in the sunshine, and the fresh air and sun light was good for all of us. I tend to agree that your older children are simply too young to be unsupervised at the park. But don't be a prisoner. Get used to dragging the other kids outside. It's just logistics. Millions of people on earth live in little more than shacks, and their kids are "outside" much the time! Your toddlers and baby would probably actually like it - just pack stuff up and be flexible. I used to spread a blanket out and do baby care there, in the general vicinity of my older son and his friends.

As a military wife of 24 years and having lived in base housing for half of that, I can pretty much assure you that sign is going to get your husband in trouble with his command. Yes, you put it up, but you (and the rest of the family) are his responsibility and he will be held accountable for your behavior.

:iagree:

This was my original concern that the husband of the poster would get reprimanded due to his wife's sign and the MP reports of his kids in an unsafe situation as toddlers.

Second thing you should consider doing (the first is removing the sign) is putting locks on the doors - or at least all of those that don't lead to your fenced-in backyard. That way, when you get distracted, you won't have your escape artists making a break for it. :)

Agreed.

I would think living on base is more stricter compared to living off base. Lock those doors. Breastfeed outside. But do not let those little ones out and about -- especially since the MPs have reported them.

:iagree: Sorry, but there is clearly a problem if your toddlers are escaping multiple times a day. That being said, it would annoy me that my elementary age kids are not able to play at the park alone when all their friends of the same age are playing (also unattended).

It is a pain to be the responsible person who follows the rules, when you see many people around you who can't be bothered. I had to go down from our 6th floor apartment to let my kids play on the playground behind out tower.

Often there were a half dozen kids playing without supervision. 10 was also the cut off on our base. It corresponds with getting and ID card and being able to use things like the library and the commissary solo too.

On the other hand, if parents had properly supervised their kids, perhaps the base wouldn't have felt compelled to remove Every Single Tire Swing from the base because unattended kids were getting hurt on them. I had to step in on one instance. Not a parent in sight.

If it is wrong, it is wrong. And it would be worth a discussion with the command ombudsman or the base chain of command about why so many other kids are also out unattended. But that doesn't make a virtue of not having followed the rules.

Rules are there for a reason and should be followed.

I have no desire to watch anyone else's kids who are unsupervised while I follow the rules and take my own (watched) kids to a park.

I say you are very lucky they didn't press charges or get CPS involved and I would heed their warning very seriously.

Dawn

Edited by DawnM

Check your local Radio Shack for door alarms. They are required for foster parents and easy to install.

High up locks are great as well as long as you remember to LOCK them after someone (like dh) leaves. The door alarms are annoying as they beep every time the door is opened but might be needed in your case.

Personally I would start calling the MPs right as school lets out and the park fills up. But, I'm kind of like that.

:iagree:This is what I'd do. If they are going to enforce the rule then by golly they are going to enforce the rule.

You'll leave soon but others will be stuck there obeying the rules. :D

Of course the rules should be the same for everyone. You shouldn't be singled out while others are violating the rule in plain sight, but:

I don't understand why you don't feel responsible for keeping toddlers out of the road. You didn't know your 2yo was missing and the policeman found him in the road? They shouldn't be biking in the road, or playing at the park, or playing in the neighbor's yard without your supervision. They are too little for that.

Lots of people are busy and have lots of children. We just watch them. I certainly did my years of high locks on the doors to keep escapers from running away. I had to go to pretty extreme lengths to keep my #2 son from disappearing. He was relentless. Still, it was my job, so I installed the locks, had him sleep with me, whatever it took to keep him safe until we got through that phase.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, that is not my intent, but yes, you should be the one responsible for your two and three-year-olds.

I'm sorry too, but I have to say I agree with Tibbie. :iagree:

It's one thing to have 6-10 year olds playing within eyesight in the park, but quite another to have 2-3 year olds playing unattended anywhere.

:iagree:This is what I'd do. If they are going to enforce the rule then by golly they are going to enforce the rule.

You'll leave soon but others will be stuck there obeying the rules. :D

I seriously would not wish this on anyone... except for the mom who called on me, if only I knew :tongue_smilie:

I'm sorry too, but I have to say I agree with Tibbie. :iagree:

It's one thing to have 6-10 year olds playing within eyesight in the park, but quite another to have 2-3 year olds playing unattended anywhere.

I don't leave my 2&3 year olds unattended, nor do I want to. :001_smile:

It's not allowed for the 6 and 7 year old kids to be playing alone. She is obviously on the radar of the local moms and the Military Police for not watching her kids. That's why someone reported her, and that's why the MPs gave her a written warning.

But, for the record? One of my friends in Hawaii had the MPs bring her 8 year old home after the MP was just driving by and saw him playing unsupervised. The MP gave her a verbal warning. Her house was adjacent to the park. This is relatively common on military bases, IME.

I'm betting the OP got a written warning because 1) the MPs already collected a child of hers and 2) the neighbor who reported her probably told them that the youngers frequently escape.

The MPs could give a flying whoop about the policy. They are constantly patrolling the roads and SEE all the kids playing w/o supervision and do nothing because it really isn't that unsafe for school age kids to be playing at the park w/o their parents. The park is surrounded by backyards. Truly, it is fine. They HAVE to follow policy if someone makes a phone call complaining. The incident with my son was not reported at all. The investigator and MP that came yesterday were completely unaware of it.

I don't think it was my kids that a neighbor called on either, they just happened to be the unfortunate ones at the park when the MPs arrived. There was a younger child, maybe age three, there earlier that I saw run by and that my kids said was there for a while unattended. Also, when questioned by the investigator he asked if I also had left my BABY there. Apparently there was a child only old enough to crawl there that the caller described? I said, No I didn't leave my baby there (duh) and no, my 4 month old can't crawl!

Doubly unfortunate is that the young "Investigator" who let his authority go to his head was leading the investigation/questioning and should have let it go at that, bc it was obviously not my kids that got called on. But I think he wanted to use his authority for his own egoism to intimidate, lie, and have me come into his office to "sign a statement"which he also lied about. Just a power high. The MPs kept muttering "this is rediculous" "it's just politics" and apologizing for investigators actions.

There is so much more to the story... long story short, Investigator is coming to

apologize, I still have to follow the dumb rules while everyone else doesn't, im terrified

to slip up and it has been a stressful day.

thanks to those who expressed kind, nonjudgmental words. I just needed to vent a little. I feel much better.

The rule says that children 0 to 5 cannot be in my fenced in backyard without me physically outside with them. Ages 6 to 10 can be in the backyard w/o me physically outside with them, but I have to be able to see and hear them. My 6 & 7 year old were caught at the playground just outside our fence where I couldnt see them from inside my house.

I was hoping for hugs and sympathy, but that's ok, I understand. My post friends are outraged and I must live around an abnormal number of neglectful parents. All well.

Well, the escaping toddlers is a problem that needs to be dealt with and like it or not living on base means following their rules.

As far as the 6 and 7 year olds in a quiet safe neighborhood playing within a hundred yards of home I'm ok with that. My younger two were 7 and 9 when we moved into a small, quiet neighborhood full of kids. I set the bounderies and let them go. They knew the bounderies and the consequences of leaving the boundary zone (only took DS spending one beautiful summer weekend in the house to decide it wasn't worth it lol). They knew if I yelled they better come running, and they were not to enter anyone's home without asking (a yes from me meant I had meant the parent(s). They had a bit of freedom in a safe environment and I checked on them often.:grouphug:

I had one escape once and get down to the security shack which was basically right beside my next door neighbor on the other side. He just came with her and rang the doorbell and gave her to me. I installed bells on the door that very day. I also ended up having to lock her in her room for a while. (I was next door and had a monitor on in her room too).

When we lived in base housing, my six and then seven year old did play with the other kids his age in the playground. I think it was very rare that none of the parents were there. Always someone was around and often a number of us would be there. Particularly since my two and then three and then four year old wanted to go too and she couldn't go alone without me so I was there a lot. When the following year my third was born, I just took her along. She would be in her stroller, and the other two played with their friends. I would either talk with other moms or read a book. I know I only had three but it didn't seem that hard to me. It was right across the street from me so no big deal.

The MPs could give a flying whoop about the policy. They are constantly patrolling the roads and SEE all the kids playing w/o supervision and do nothing because it really isn't that unsafe for school age kids to be playing at the park w/o their parents. The park is surrounded by backyards. Truly, it is fine. They HAVE to follow policy if someone makes a phone call complaining. The incident with my son was not reported at all. The investigator and MP that came yesterday were completely unaware of it.

I don't think it was my kids that a neighbor called on either, they just happened to be the unfortunate ones at the park when the MPs arrived. There was a younger child, maybe age three, there earlier that I saw run by and that my kids said was there for a while unattended. Also, when questioned by the investigator he asked if I also had left my BABY there. Apparently there was a child only old enough to crawl there that the caller described? I said, No I didn't leave my baby there (duh) and no, my 4 month old can't crawl!

Doubly unfortunate is that the young "Investigator" who let his authority go to his head was leading the investigation/questioning and should have let it go at that, bc it was obviously not my kids that got called on. But I think he wanted to use his authority for his own egoism to intimidate, lie, and have me come into his office to "sign a statement"which he also lied about. Just a power high. The MPs kept muttering "this is rediculous" "it's just politics" and apologizing for investigators actions.

There is so much more to the story... long story short, Investigator is coming to

apologize, I still have to follow the dumb rules while everyone else doesn't, im terrified

to slip up and it has been a stressful day.

thanks to those who expressed kind, nonjudgmental words. I just needed to vent a little. I feel much better.

Your move is only 6 weeks away. You'll be out of there before you know it!

My mom put bells on my brother's shoes, just so she could keep track of his location. I still remember how he jingled everywhere he went. :lol:

My mom did that with my brother. wish I'd thought of it for my son. He'd NEVER answer if I called him. I had to actually find him - he thought it was a great game. :toetap05: If I was really lucky, I'd hear him giggle. (now, he'll run and find me because he doesn't want me to "see" what he's doing. :lol: - yeah, I see those cookies .. . ) I had to put a double deadbolt on my front door and since we needed quick access to the key - it was on an elastic hung from way out of his reach.

One day, I was so glad I caught sight of him coming out of my neighbors garage (we live on a very private dead-end). My purse had gone missing. He left it in the neighbors garage.

while he was hard, in some ways he's been easier than 1ds who was NEVER "lost". HE always knew where HE was, and could disappear in less than 10 seconds flat. :svengo:

It is a pain to be the responsible person who follows the rules, when you see many people around you who can't be bothered. I had to go down from our 6th floor apartment to let my kids play on the playground behind out tower.

Often there were a half dozen kids playing without supervision. 10 was also the cut off on our base. It corresponds with getting and ID card and being able to use things like the library and the commissary solo too.

On the other hand, if parents had properly supervised their kids, perhaps the base wouldn't have felt compelled to remove Every Single Tire Swing from the base because unattended kids were getting hurt on them. I had to step in on one instance. Not a parent in sight.

If it is wrong, it is wrong. And it would be worth a discussion with the command ombudsman or the base chain of command about why so many other kids are also out unattended. But that doesn't make a virtue of not having followed the rules.

:iagree: The park here is directly behind our house. There are a few trees between it and us, but I can see the park. However, I can't let my 10 yo go to the park alone. Our next door neighbor was in dd's class when she was in school and he and many other classmates are there all. the. time. It is very frustrating to be the one enforcing the rules - but I do NOT want to be the one caught and have dh in trouble. It's even worse because dd 12 can go by herself, but I don't trust the friends she would be with at all - plus the unfairness of letting one go while the rest of them can't it a huge battle. I *get* the rule, but it does make me crazy that apparently we are the only ones in the neighborhood to follow it.

Get used to dragging the other kids outside. It's just logistics. Millions of people on earth live in little more than shacks, and their kids are "outside" much the time!

This is true, though often they are actually two and three year olds being supervised by six and seven year olds.

OP - the crazy escaping toddler thing is a drag and it can take a few times to figure out all the tricks you need to thwart, but it has to be done. I have one like that, she is quiet and cunning, but eventually I got her number and now she is past that stage.

10 years old to be outside unsupervised is nuts IMO, but then I've talked to dh about moving to some rational country for just this reason - most North Americans are just not in the same place.

For me, if I was staying on the base long term, I'd be persuing it somehow - I would not be satisfied with my kids being held to rules that the other kids weren't. If I were moving soon though I would just sit tight and wait it out.

one silver lining here....

OP if you get in the habit of hauling all the children to the park together, your house will stay neater.

I would get them up from naptime, during which I would have cleaned and straightened the house, and take them to the park, all of them. Then the house would stay clean for longer than 10 minutes.

I don't have anything else to add, except I had an escape artist who snuck out at nap time and was walking in the road. :eek: I understand how horrible that is. I have big kids, too. They were unlocking the door and going outside in the backyard, and then the door was left unlocked. I ended up putting an alarm that beeped loudly when the door opened as well as making a habit of escorting the bigs in and out of the doors so I could lock them again.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: to you! I hope things get easier with your move.

I do have to say I feel somewhat cheered by everyone's dose of reality though. It really isn't a big deal is it? :)

How can you not think this is a big deal? How do you not cringe at the thought of your little children getting hit by a car or wandering off and getting lost? I still kick myself for when my daughter got out years ago and like I said, she was just wandering up and down the driveway when we found her. Maybe I have an overactive imagination. I know child abductions are actually much rarer than the media would have you believe, but the thought of a much more likely scenario, a little kid who doesn't understand traffic getting into the street and then getting run over because they can't be seen, it makes me gasp!

I know you came here looking for support. There are just some times when you can't give support, such as when a child's safety is at risk.

I didn't read the whole thread and I'm sure someone else has already said this. Essentially you think you deserve a pass to violate the rules because:

1. everyone else is doing it, and

2. you have a large family.

I don't get it.

Yeah, it sucks that you were singled out, but you were breaking the rules (and base housing has lots of them, which you are surely aware of). If your toddlers are getting out and playing without supervision then you need locks on your doors, regardless of the MPs being called or not. You've got to contain those babies.

:iagree: I would bet money that this is the case. And it is a big deal. It is neglectful if her toddlers are sneaking out of the house and playing in the street. One time I understand. It happens. One of mine did the same thing and, thankfully, we safely recovered him within a short time -- and we promptly loaded the kids up in the van and went to Lowe's and purchased some more childproofing equipment.

Some things the OP might look into:

Door handle covers

DIY alarm kit -- the ones we got were adhesive and applied to the door and adjacent frame. When the door opened the alarm sounded. There was no way for a child to quietly escape with that thing installed.