Menu

HOD Emerging Readers ?

hollyh

I posted on the HOD board, but it moves too slowly for my impatient self. ;)

I'm wondering for those of you who used OPGTR for phonics, at what point did you start the ER's? I know it says to finish phonics, but OPG is (I think) a bit more extensive than most phonics programs and I would think the ER's would probably work fine somewhere in there.

So what did you do? Did you complete OPG first, or around what lesson did you start the ER's?

My 5 yo started the Bible reader when she was about half way with PP.I'd say if the child can read long vowels, consonant&vowels diagraphs , -ed endings , -cial sound, scwua ( I know I didn't spell this right ) , basically when a phonics program it's finished , but PP and I think OPGTR go beyond that to a higher level, probably 2nd or 3rd , while the Bible reader and the first easy readers are at 1st grade level.

By the way we loved these readers, especially the Bible. Excellent comprehension & thinking questions.

I would say try it and if the child is unable to read more than 2-3 words/ page , then I'd wait.

Edited by blessedmom3