Menu

File Folder planning/work box...Favorite Workbooks?

Mommyfaithe

What are your favorite workbooks / curricula for file folder or work box planning?? My youngest ds would greatly benefit from this type of planning...as would, I think, my older kids.

I would love to know which books,curricula, website printables, or anything else you have found to make this type of system work best for you.

I really like WWE for this...and perhaps A Beka math.

What are your/your kids favorites?

Faithe

I use daily folders for my 7yo. I rip up my workbooks. Things she normally has in her folders:

Saxon worksheet

MiF worksheets

Handwriting page

ETC page

Spectrum Reading workbook page

Lollypop logic

How to Draw Pets

Maze

ummm I can't think of what else is in her folder. We put everything in the folder on on the shelf by the folder, the books I plan to read, the readers for her, a copy of the poem she's working on. She likes her folder because she knows how much work she has to do. I like the folders because my days can be hectic and the folders keep me on track for the day.

I use daily folders for my 7yo. I rip up my workbooks. Things she normally has in her folders:

Saxon worksheet

MiF worksheets

Handwriting page

ETC page

Spectrum Reading workbook page

Lollypop logic

How to Draw Pets

Maze

ummm I can't think of what else is in her folder. We put everything in the folder on on the shelf by the folder, the books I plan to read, the readers for her, a copy of the poem she's working on. She likes her folder because she knows how much work she has to do. I like the folders because my days can be hectic and the folders keep me on track for the day.

This sounds great! I forgot about my logic books:D.

My kids are a bit younger than yours, but our workboxes are a combination of workbooks and interactive activities. We use things like ETC and Lollipop Logic, which are pretty easily adpated into workboxes. I also put most of our curriculum in them, it just takes a bit more of work on my part. I generally have to create my own activities or complete the activity with them once and then use it as independent practice later. We use Singapore for math so at the beginning of the week I will introduce new material which means their workboxes will be filled with review work from last week. Around Wednesday, I'm done introducing the lesson so I'll start including the new work in there. By this time, they understand the concepts so the work is fairly independent. I know that many workboxers mix in guided practice and independent practice, but I tend to find that its easier for us to have seperate time for introducing new material and keep workboxes for independent work. I also intersperse logic type games (Color Code, Trucky, Camelot, Tangoes) which give them a break from typical school work but also keep their brains fresh :) Some boxes take longer than others. For example, our copywork box generally takes quite a bit longer than a sheet from ETC. It seems to help if you alternate the two so that kids dont get burned out. Evan Moor, Singapore, Prufrock Press, Critical Thinking, ETC, and Tin Man Press all have great workbook style books you can use.

My kids are a bit younger than yours, but our workboxes are a combination of workbooks and interactive activities. We use things like ETC and Lollipop Logic, which are pretty easily adpated into workboxes. I also put most of our curriculum in them, it just takes a bit more of work on my part. I generally have to create my own activities or complete the activity with them once and then use it as independent practice later. We use Singapore for math so at the beginning of the week I will introduce new material which means their workboxes will be filled with review work from last week. Around Wednesday, I'm done introducing the lesson so I'll start including the new work in there. By this time, they understand the concepts so the work is fairly independent. I know that many workboxers mix in guided practice and independent practice, but I tend to find that its easier for us to have seperate time for introducing new material and keep workboxes for independent work. I also intersperse logic type games (Color Code, Trucky, Camelot, Tangoes) which give them a break from typical school work but also keep their brains fresh :) Some boxes take longer than others. For example, our copywork box generally takes quite a bit longer than a sheet from ETC. It seems to help if you alternate the two so that kids dont get burned out. Evan Moor, Singapore, Prufrock Press, Critical Thinking, ETC, and Tin Man Press all have great workbook style books you can use.

Great post!! Thanks! I have years and years and years worth of PDF files....that I would LOVE to incorporate into a file system for my boys.....hmmmmmmmmmm.......

Faithe...who is off to read the file system posts again...and get inspired.