Menu

Night time wetting protection?

DD(almost 5) still pees at night about 90% of the time. We've had her in Pull Ups (the largest size) but I am so tired of the leaking. It's usually about once a week. I need something else. I've tried reading up on Good Nites, Under Jams, and a few others but I'm not sure what to buy. DD is right at the lowest weight, and even below the lowest for some of those. She's 36 pounds. Any recommendations?

Good nites have worked well for us - we just switched last week from pullups. DD is nearly 6 and we are still working on nighttime training and going while out due to her ASD and SPD.

ETA: If the pullups still fit her, are you using nighttime pullups? That made a big difference for us - the daytime ones don't hold much.

I have a 7 year old who still wets the bed and I bought this:

Amazon.com: Reusable Bedpads - 34x36 in, absorbs 1000cc: Health & Personal Care and it was the BEST thing I have ever spent my money on (at least for this issue). He won't wear pull-ups or Good nights so this works well for us. I tried other protective things for on top of his sheet, but it always moved and slipped and he ended up hitting his sheet anyway. This pad is big enough and doesn't move around hardly at all...and it absorbs TONS.

We used these mattress pads when my kids were wearing the alarms. It would be good for leaking pull ups too. They are much softer than most of the pads I've seen and tuck into the sides of the mattress to stay in place. I got 2 so I could rotate them if needed. They don't take up much space in the washing machine. I never found any kind of pull ups for older kids that worked without them complaining that they were very uncomfortable. I think the underjams would be too big for your DD and may leak out the sides.

DD(almost 5) still pees at night about 90% of the time. We've had her in Pull Ups (the largest size) but I am so tired of the leaking. It's usually about once a week. I need something else. I've tried reading up on Good Nites, Under Jams, and a few others but I'm not sure what to buy. DD is right at the lowest weight, and even below the lowest for some of those. She's 36 pounds. Any recommendations?

GoodNites work here. My 7.5 yr old doesn't weigh much more than your DD and they fit. If I remember correctly, I've been buying that brand for a couple years.

Have you tried giving your child a magnesium supplement? My youngest was still night time wetting at five and someone here recommended it and we tried it. It worked like a charm! Apparently bedwetting can sometimes be caused from a deficiency.

I'm interested in this as well!

Goodnites were wonderful for us. When youngest DD was that age, she wet every night. She was a small kid and the smallest size fit just right.

You didn't ask, but for DD (now 10), the fix was a small green pill called Ditropan that reduces the bladder spasms (she also has kidney damage from early infections). This med has made her life so much better as she is not running to the bathroom all the time. Her kidney doctor also had her do bladder training to increase her ability to "know when she needed to go". It was totally painless and not too difficult. That helped some at night, but it took the pill for her to stay consistently dry.

About the magnesium - this comes highly recommended from friends who supplement with magnesium for various reasons:

http://www.calmnatural.com/naturalcalm

There are formulas for adults, adults plus calcium, kids, kids plus calcium. I have a friend who gives it to her son who has Tourette's (manifests as tics and stuttering) and it helps his symptoms.

You may also want to consider transdermal magnesium in the form of oils or even epsom salt bath, but the mag from epsom salts doesn't stay around long.

What I found out in my diaper search is that the low-cut design of things like GoodNights, contributed to the problem. My son would leak from the top of the diaper. Diapers not meant to hide their diaper-ness, leak a lot less.

Thank you. I have tried some adult depends...better than nothing, but not quite right. This kid has A LOT of volume. :tongue_smilie: We use diapers/alone with disposable absorbant pads. Still have to wash bedding most mornings.

We have issues with even goodnights leaking. So I got some plastic pants for my ds to put over his goodnights.

And then I found a store brand of overnight 'pull-ups' at albertsons. Since getting these, he has not had a leak yet. I think some brands just fit differently. and goodnights have always been 'cheeky'...not enough to completely cover the backside. :)

Best wishes!

I have a 7 year old who still wets the bed and I bought this:

Amazon.com: Reusable Bedpads - 34x36 in, absorbs 1000cc: Health & Personal Care and it was the BEST thing I have ever spent my money on (at least for this issue). He won't wear pull-ups or Good nights so this works well for us. I tried other protective things for on top of his sheet, but it always moved and slipped and he ended up hitting his sheet anyway. This pad is big enough and doesn't move around hardly at all...and it absorbs TONS.

That's what we use too. My 13.5yr old still wets the bed and he of course is not about to start putting on pullups. He gets a Rx pill to stop the wetting if he is away from home but it is not safe to use all the time so at home he uses those soaker pads. Come to think of it we only have 2 left and they are starting to get thread bare in places, it might be time to order some new ones.

My seven year old son just stopped wetting the bed at night and we used Goodnites or Underjams once he outgrew diapers. He's a very sound sleeper and was a heavy wetter, so he'd often soak through whatever night time thing he was wearing. We finally added a men's incontinence guard (like Depends) to keep him from leaking through.

We put a vinyl mattress cover over his mattress, covered it with a water-proof mattress pad, and kept a stack of clean sheets nearby. :)