Menu

Does Rod and Staff English have a placement test?

You usually place at grade level up through grade 5, I think it is? They review everything every year. If you're starting with a child older than 5th grade, I think WTM has a schedule for older students. I can't remember if it starts with 6 or 5.

But yeah, if you just post what grade child you have and what their grammar background is, whether they're struggling or doing really well with grammar, seasoned users could easily place you correctly, I'm sure. ;)

Also, if you posted here with what specifically you were looking for, I'm sure people would chime in with what level to find that particular topic in.

I have grade 4 if you have any questions about that level.

You usually place at grade level up through grade 5, I think it is? They review everything every year. If you're starting with a child older than 5th grade, I think WTM has a schedule for older students. I can't remember if it starts with 6 or 5.

But yeah, if you just post what grade child you have and what their grammar background is, whether they're struggling or doing really well with grammar, seasoned users could easily place you correctly, I'm sure. ;)

Ok, I am looking for both my 4th and 8th grader. I started homeschooling when my 8th grader was in 5th grade. She did BJU in 5th and 6th. Then I found a 'great' curriculum that ended up bombing. Its a good curriculum- just NOT for her- That was Applications of Grammar book 1. Now we are back to BJU in 8th. She had NOT grammar in PS. 7th grade was a bomb as I said- she does fairly decent but is in no way strong at grammar. I would say she needs a good overview. I plan on doing some remediation over the summers 2-3 days a week. She is really the one I am struggling with.

My 4th grader did BJU in 2nd, PLL in 3rd (2nd half of the book) and is back to BJU this year for 4th. She does ok for the most part. She really got tripped up on possessive plural this year and did NOT get it at all. (correct apostrophe placement)

Another thought I had was to do FLL with her (level 3 or 4) then switching over to R&S. Any thoughts on that? Also, we would be doing summer remediation 2-3 days a week if I start her in FLL.

TIA!

I won't comment on your older child, as I haven't used the upper level books. I have owned grades 2, 3, and 4 only.

My 4th grader did BJU in 2nd, PLL in 3rd (2nd half of the book) and is back to BJU this year for 4th. She does ok for the most part. She really got tripped up on possessive plural this year and did NOT get it at all. (correct apostrophe placement)

Another thought I had was to do FLL with her (level 3 or 4) then switching over to R&S. Any thoughts on that? Also, we would be doing summer remediation 2-3 days a week if I start her in FLL.

TIA!

I really like FLL personally, though you don't have to do it before doing R&S (I think FLL is more rigorous than the equivalent levels of R&S). You could probably stick this child in R&S 5 after completing BJU 4, or if you want to start now, mid-year, you could start in 4 and just skip through things she already knows well. Or you could start in 5 and take it slower if you need to. You might look at samples of both and see which one you think might be a better fit for her. I haven't seen 5 in person yet.

DS is doing R&S level 6. We've just finished covering all sorts of pronouns...nominative, objective, possessive, demonstrative, relative, indefinite...It was rough. This was our 1st year in R&S and it is rigorous. Possibly a mistake to jump from Easy Grammar 4 into R&S6 but it had the material I wanted to cover for writing application in IEW. I need to look at 7 and decide if we should move on or go through the book a 2nd time! SWB has some recommendations about coming into R&S later...I forget exactly but I think she says if you are entering after grade 5 you may need to go back and do an earlier book. Below grade 5 enter at grade level. Brownie

They have grade level assesment tests.... http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/QuickAssessmentTests/

While not much of a placement test, you can evaluate the weaknesses in the learning overall. This might help you to place your child in language arts as well as reveal other content areas that might need help.

So, no placement test.

But, you have a scope and sequence chart to help you place your child according to content covered.

Grade level should be fine - in my experience, I have never had to move ahead a book but drop behind a book. We are working about 1/2 a grade level behind at present.

They have grade level assesment tests.... http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/QuickAssessmentTests/

While not much of a placement test, you can evaluate the weaknesses in the learning overall. This might help you to place your child in language arts as well as reveal other content areas that might need help.

So, no placement test.

But, you have a scope and sequence chart to help you place your child according to content covered.

Grade level should be fine - in my experience, I have never had to move ahead a book but drop behind a book. We are working about 1/2 a grade level behind at present.

Thank you so much!! :D

I only started Rod and Staff grammar this year with the grade 5 book. My daughter is 5th grade and she is doing fine with the book, though we are only on lesson 55. I try to do 1/2 lesson a day since we are also finishing IEW SICC-A. I've skipped the writing lessons in Rod and Staff.

The fifth grade book seems foundational and necessary. I could see any age kid learning a lot from it. We have done lots of diagramming, including compound subjects, predicates, verbs, and compound sentences. She is also learning predicate nouns and predicate adjectives and the difference between action and linking verbs. The curriculum is very thorough and a good match for my daughter.

I only started Rod and Staff grammar this year with the grade 5 book. My daughter is 5th grade and she is doing fine with the book, though we are only on lesson 55. I try to do 1/2 lesson a day since we are also finishing IEW SICC-A. I've skipped the writing lessons in Rod and Staff.

The fifth grade book seems foundational and necessary. I could see any age kid learning a lot from it. We have done lots of diagramming, including compound subjects, predicates, verbs, and compound sentences. She is also learning predicate nouns and predicate adjectives and the difference between action and linking verbs. The curriculum is very thorough and a good match for my daughter.

That is what I have decided to start her with. We will get the tests and test her out of what ever she knows, skip the writing portions (we have that covered ala WTM writing) and just go from there. If she goes through 1-2 levels this year and part of next that's ok- they are cheap! That way if there are any gaps then they will be filled and she won't have to do the stuff she already knows :001_smile: