Menu

Nebulizer missing the little plastic cone and ds needs a breathing treatment

ETA: So I've given him the albuterol inhaler w/ the spacer twice now and he is feeling better. I won't hesitate to call EMS if necessary, but hopefully we've got it under control until the morning. Fingers crossed.

Our nebulizer is missing the little plastic cone that goes inside of the receptacle that holds the liquid. I have no idea where it is.

It's 8:30 at night. My asthmatic child ran out of Flovent a few days ago and is just coasting on Singulair. His breathing is becoming...not his best. He is starting to cough a bit, clear his throat, and I can hear him breathing across the room.

My dh is out of town. The battery in my vehicle is dead.

I was going to give him a breathing treatment to hopefully help him make it through the night comfortably but my nebulizer is missing the blasted cone. Is there any way for me to rig the nebulizer to get it to work once until I can get him to the doctor tomorrow?

I have an albuterol inhaler that I can fall back on if necessary, but he always seems to respond better to the nebulizer.

And can I just say that I hate dealing with Tricare and the military health system? :sad:

ETA: We only have one neighbor and they are out of town. I am going to go ahead and give him the albuterol inhaler with his spacer and see how he does. I could call a friend for a jump if absolutely necessary, but neither of the two ladies that I would call live very close and one is home alone with her own sick kiddos. Sigh.

I didn't realize the battery on the van was dead until I loaded all five kids in tonight to take ds to scouts. That was at 7. I have an appt for ds at 10 o'clock tomorrow morning so I'm hoping to get a jump in time to get him there.

Edited by Pretty in Pink

Our nebulizer is missing the little plastic cone that goes inside of the receptacle that holds the liquid. I have no idea where it is.

It's 8:30 at night. My asthmatic child ran out of Flovent a few days ago and is just coasting on Singulair. His breathing is becoming...not his best. He is starting to cough a bit, clear his throat, and I can hear him breathing across the room.

My dh is out of town. The battery in my vehicle is dead.

I was going to give him a breathing treatment to hopefully help him make it through the night comfortably but my nebulizer is missing the blasted cone. Is there any way for me to rig the nebulizer to get it to work once until I can get him to the doctor tomorrow?

I have an albuterol inhaler that I can fall back on if necessary, but he always seems to respond better to the nebulizer.

And can I just say that I hate dealing with Tricare and the military health system? :sad:

Yup, I'll join you in that Tricare corner. I'm sitting here looking at our neb and wondering if you could at least TRY fashioning one out of a couple of layers of foil? I think I'd at least try it . . . :grouphug: hope you find something.

Do you know ANYONE else who uses a nebulizer, who could give/lend you the piece? I've had a defective cone piece before, and it just doesn't work without it.

FWIW, if I lived near you, I'd drop one off. I understand how important it is. And I realize this is no help for tonight, but I make sure never to be without a spare, unopened neb kit. :grouphug:

If you get desperate, lots of places have nebulizer equipment; emergency rooms, most peds./family dr. offices, maybe even lots of urgent care and after hours clinics. Perhaps you can call one close to you, and they'd let you send someone to buy a neb kit? I don't know if they can do that without access to your script for the medical device, however, but it's worth a shot. I'd actually guess the ER would be the most likely to work with you, but I might be wrong.

You know, I've had an after hours peds clinic give Moose a breathing treatment (along with other treatments; he had pneumonia), and they said I should go ahead and take the neb kit he used home, 'cause they'd have to throw it out if I didn't. So, worse comes to worse, find someone who can come take you and your dc to a urgent care, where he can get a breathing treatment, and you can bring the neb kit he uses home with you.

That's all I can think of.

ETA: I really don't have any clue where you live, but I'm in Metro Detroit, and if you're in my area, I really will come drop one off for you.

Many respiratory companies deliver (they usually have vans out with oxygen and such); of course, that can be costly, depending.

I'd first go with the inhaler, and then consider calling your ped to ask about having a new mask and tubing delivered (which presumably may take some time). Alternatively, if you have any local friends who might have a neb, I'd call them - maybe they happen to have a new one you could have (and then provide a new one to them later).

• 11 years later...
  • 7 months later...
On 7/17/2023 at 12:58 AM, Raymond84 said:

If anybody is still looking for an answer 11 years later, I fashioned a baffle out of aluminum foil. Worked great and gave me time to order a replacement. 

Thank you sooooo much! This helped me too. We are unable to find that cone, I order one, but the aluminum foil worked as a charm.

thanks again