Menu

Algebra 1 what to use as a supplement

My dd is a very bright student in 8th grade. She is doing VideoText Algebra 1 this year. Math is her weakest subject. I would like to get a different Alg 1 for her to do either over this summer or over the next two summers. (I'm thinking of going with something else for Geometry and Alg. 2...yet to be decided) She will probably do Geometery next year during 9th grade. I just don't feel confident enough about her skills in Alg. 1 and would like to get a supplement for her before going into Alg. 2 in 10th grade. I'm considering Life of Fred or Keys to Algebra. ( I've also

considered TT) I would like any feedback on these or any other possible Alg 1 supplements as to what would be a good learning supplement in order for her to get Alg. 1 down pat...so to speak.

Thanks! Cindy

My dd did Algebra I in 7th grade, so she is math capable, albeit not math confident. Because she didn't feel confident, I had her do Life of Fred Algebra alongside her Geometry the following year. Life of Fred doesn't seem to be very time consuming -- especially if you've already had a year of Algebra under your belt.

Martha

Thanks Lori! I'm checking out Math Relief and so far like what I'm seeing. For those of you that use Math Relief for Alg. 1 & 2, what do you use for Geometry?

I'm using Teaching Textbooks for Geometry.

That's what we used.

Well, we started with Jacobs and I do like Jacobs, so I tried to expose my son to his way of thinking thru math conversationally. In the end, though, we switched to TT and son was much happier :) It was at the same topic in the same place in the year, so equivalent math.

Julie