Menu

The War Against Boys book, propoganda?

I came across this book a couple years ago, long after I'd decided to homeschool, so it wasn't an influencing factor. Someone on a facebook hs group i belong to referred to the book and I asked if she was talking about this particular book and mentioned that it was thought provoking. I cannot recall much of it, tbh, and no longer have the book. Anyhow, a man I respect who is an elder at my church and a public school teacher for 30 yrs saw the post (remind me to fix my privacy settings!) and posted that it was a "highly propagandist book and a deliberate attempt to condemn the aim of the public school system".

I'm not quite sure how to respond? I didn't say that I belived and applauded all that the book said, simply that it was interesting and concerning. Can someone please tell me how it was propagandist? I don't recall that it was for homeschooling, and the man in question would not defend feminism so I doubt he was coming from an angle that was upset about the line "misguided feminism". I'm really scratching my head here, care to give some input please? Thank you so much!

Oh, and you know on fb where it tells the activity of friends? Well I suppose that us how he saw what I posted and I have no idea how to change those settings from my iPhone, which is now my only Internet access.

Edited by MrsJewelsRae

tghis one:

http://www.amazon.com/WAR-AGAINST-BOYS-Misguided-Feminism/dp/0684849577/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328043486&sr=8-1

i just read it and thought it was a great read. the studies sited are kind of old, now, but they show how research can be manipulative by people that have an end in mind and a goal to achieve.

I do not think it attacks public schools as much as it shows how they can be mid-used and manipulative by the powers at be; and how the adgend can be more important that the studies in the room.

that being said, i know several moms -- raising BOYS ONLY -- that got pissy with me about it; they are both strong 'feminists" -- all i can say is it is a hot button issue

I do think there is an attitude in society demanding little boys be neuter. not all, but it is definitely out there. My older son's had a horrible time in school because they were boys with learning difficulties.

My youngest's dev ped about blew a gasket when he showed up at his appointment wearing camoflauge. he is a sweet boy, who loves to play "army man" by dressing up in camo and traipsing around outside in the bushes. forty-fifty years ago, no one would have had a problem with it - now the ones who don't are the exception.

My youngest's dev ped about blew a gasket when he showed up at his appointment wearing camoflauge. he is a sweet boy, who loves to play "army man" by dressing up in camo and traipsing around outside in the bushes. forty-fifty years ago, no one would have had a problem with it - now the ones who don't are the exception.

Gosh, I live near a fort, and I see it all the time. Never heard a peep.