Menu

Hello from a lurker

I've been on this forum for several years, but have never posted. Now that I'll have a high schooler in the fall, I have been lurking a lot more (especially the high school board)--though I do have 2 younger children as well. I've really been appreciating the insight and wisdom on these boards, and have just been trying to soak everything up. I probably won't participate out loud a lot, but since I've been checking in every day, it felt weird to not say "hi." So. Hi. :)

Thank you for the kind welcome! Now that you know I'm here, I feel more like a community member and less like, well, a creeper. :) I may pop out again--I'm really stressing about high school (to the tune of nightmares about it a few times a week).

Read a few of my posts about my experience at a slightly below average public school...

Compare that by reading the lists of college acceptances from homeschoolers and the posts where people post of success their students attain (whether through college or not). It helps alleviate nightmares.

I started homeschooling when my oldest reached high school as I simply didn't like the level of academics at our school (where I work). He's now finished his third semester of college and made the Dean's List each semester. Middle son did even better (homeschooling since 7th grade). I have no regrets about homeschooling.

Now I have nightmares about my youngest. He insisted on returning to high school as homeschooling wasn't right for him personality-wise. His personality issues did improve by attending school, but his academics have slid. We're trying to afterschool the academics, but it's nowhere near as good as homeschooling. It's frustrating to say the least.

Hi Sugarplum,

I also wanted to welcome you to the boards. I was a lurker for quite some time, reading what others had to say and recommended but staying in the background. I have to say how much this forum has helped me. I was a public school teacher for quite a few years before home schooling (I taught junior/middle school and high school Math.) Even though I thought I was equipped because of my background, it was hard making the transition to being at home and being the "expert" on how to teach everything. This forum has been so very helpful (thank you all!) for my questions, my concerns, and for buying very good used materials and curricula for my home schooling needs. Everyone has been so patient with my many questions and they will be for yours as well!

So thanks for joining us, Laura. I'm sure you'll find some things to consider, and some things that may stretch you and your thinking. And we're all here for you and each other. I so appreciate that. It's like my own eclectic community that's always there. We're here for you as well. There are so many success stories that it'll blow your socks off. You can do it, Laura!!!!!

Blessings to you all,

Karen

Edited by kareng

I've been on this forum for several years, but have never posted. Now that I'll have a high schooler in the fall, I have been lurking a lot more (especially the high school board)--though I do have 2 younger children as well. I've really been appreciating the insight and wisdom on these boards, and have just been trying to soak everything up. I probably won't participate out loud a lot, but since I've been checking in every day, it felt weird to not say "hi." So. Hi. :)

:seeya: Welcome!!

I am also more of a lurker than a poster. I seem to use different materials than many here, so my posts tend to run in the 'chatty' variety, rather than educational. Still, it's a great place to be, so don't hesitate to post on non-educational topics! :001_smile: