Menu

Anyone experienced in orthodontics?

DD11yr had her 6 month regular check up at the dentist today.

Dentist informed me that she has crowded teeth, a class II malocclusion, 2 missing adult teeth (they aren't under the baby teeth - both molars), a reverse crossbite on the left side, a 5mm overjet, and a 100% overbite. She referred us to an orthodontist.

DD is a little afraid and dying to know what this means for her. I will call and setup an appt with the orthodontist today, but I'm curious if anyone knows what this might mean for her. Extractions? Braces? Wait and see?

I never had braces and neither did DH, so this is all new territory for me!

Whether or not you have extractions depends on your orthodontist. We visited 3 orthos, and got 3 opinions on whether older dd needed teeth extracted. We went with the "probably no extraction, but we can't guarantee it" option, since we figure once the teeth are gone, they're gone forever. She ended up keeping all of her teeth. I think it's generally cheaper and easier as far as the braces go to extract teeth to make room -- the cheaper orthos recommended extraction in our case. But then you have to pay for the extraction on top of it.

You need to get the cross bite fixed -- it sounds like the biggest problem. Dd had a palette expander to do that. Then, after that, she got the braces.

It's better to do it while she is still growing. It's possible that if you wait too long she'd need more major, intrusive work. They can work with her natural development right now to shape her jaw as needed; otoh, my nephew waited until age 18, and had to have his jaw broken.

Younger dd is getting a "penguin" to help with the fact that her lower teeth are "behind" her upper (they showed us all of this on models and computer simulations). Again, after all that's done, they'll see if they need to go ahead and extract, and then put on braces.

Shop around for an ortho you like. It really makes a difference.

Edited by GailV

They will take this in stages...nothing all at once. I doubt braces are in the immediate future (fixing the cross-bite, yes). Beyond that, there are many different routes that can be taken( I doubt the extractions unless teeth are severely crowded... and there is no alternative, and the missing molars are really no big deal at this point...I'm missing 9 teeth, 7 of which are molars).

Just breathe...she is probably in for a small appliance (like what is used to widen a jaw), or something similar right now... the rest should probably be wait and see (usually they need to fix jaw issues first... and things have a tendency to shift simply because of that).

I agree with Gail about finding an ortho you really like. I had to have braces when I was a teenager. That was back in the day when they extracted teeth all the time. I had to have 4 of my adult teeth extracted before I had braces because the orthodontist said my jaw wasn't big enough for all my teeth. At the time I was 14 and just wanted straight teeth so I didn't care. Know I really wish I they hadn't extracted them.

Whether or not you have extractions depends on your orthodontist. We visited 3 orthos, and got 3 opinions on whether older dd needed teeth extracted. We went with the "probably no extraction, but we can't guarantee it" option, since we figure once the teeth are gone, they're gone forever. She ended up keeping all of her teeth. I think it's generally cheaper and easier as far as the braces go to extract teeth to make room -- the cheaper orthos recommended extraction in our case. But then you have to pay for the extraction on top of it.

Shop around for an ortho you like. It really makes a difference.

I agree with this. Dd had the option to have 4 adult teeth pulled to make room, or 2 rounds of braces (with a very slight possibility of extraction later). We chose the 2 rounds of braces. After one round, it looks like there will be enough room (we're waiting on more permanent teeth for the 2nd round).

Many orthodontists around here will give free consults - we went to 2, and really liked the 2nd one.

My mom had her braces done at our local univ. dental school and had great results. I started my ortho at the same school before we moved out of state and had some routine cavities and cosmetic work done at the dental school of my univ. when I was a student.

Univ. dental schools can have a wait and they do not take all comers but the work is supervised by experienced orthos who often maintain private practices too. In my experience they like to take on difficult, more complex cases because it's good for students to work on those issues...things like crossbites, peg leg laterals (vampire teeth) etc. can make a case more appealing.

The costs are definitely less than a private practitioner too but be prepared for the treatment plan/appt. to take a little longer as they are trainees and students do have to have their work reviewed (and sometimes adjusted) by an attending ortho before they let you out the door.

Edited by Sneezyone

I would totally go to a university!

Hey, at least your insurance covers braces. Our covers 40% and it is much more than anyone else we know. And our ortho doesn't take any insurance. We pay up front every month and get a 'refund'.

DH created one of those medical savings accounts where they take the $$ out before taxes and we use that to cover some of the costs.

He is 11 and going to be getting his braces off soon. Phew!

Did your dentist make an specific referrals? Ours did and it was a good match for us. he specifically suggested a very small practice. We only see one ortho, not a different person every time. We liked that, but people like different things.

Hey, at least your insurance covers braces.

:iagree: We get $1000 towards this. Period. And that's considered incredibly generous around here. Our total bill is ... lots more than that.

DH created one of those medical savings accounts where they take the $$ out before taxes and we use that to cover some of the costs.

We did that, too.

Hey, at least your insurance covers braces. Our covers 40% and it is much more than anyone else we know. And our ortho doesn't take any insurance. We pay up front every month and get a 'refund'.

I agree - ours doesn't cover any of it. We do have an MSA to put money in for it, but that's it.

The folks that are talking about extractions are referring to ADULT teeth. Your DD may need to have the baby teeth that have no adult teeth extracted. It is possible to straighten everything with the baby teeth in place but if they then later come out, then you are left with gaps and need to do something else! Some baby teeth last a LONG time but others lose their roots, even without adult teeth pushing them out of the way.

My DD was first told that she was missing 4 adult teeth. Later x-rays showed that 2 of those teeth were there but were malformed (just balls of enamel, really). She underwent surgery to remove those 4 baby teeth and the 2 malformed impacted teeth. Strangely enough, this was in the middle of her orthodontia treatment as the orthodontist wanted to accomplish a few things before the surgery.

We had no insurance to cover dental/orthodontia work at all. Fortunately, medical insurance kicked in on some of the surgery costs.

Pegasus

Just responding to the extraction question here: It isn't always a bad idea! My daughter was very small and petite, and her mouth was too. She had EIGHT teeth extracted, over a period of several years. Her teeth were extremely crowded, and coming out in many different directions and one on top of the other. She once had an artist draw her caricature, and I felt so badly for her because he concentrated on her horrible teeth -- which really were awful!! After the extractions and braces, they are now perfect. We don't regret anything. She has a beautiful smile now.

Any thoughts on having orthodontic care at a University? I haven't called them yet, but I suspect they might take our insurance.

I don't know why I feel a bit uneasy about it. I guess because this isn't something I want screwed up.

Due to allergies, dd19 has to go to a University to have anything beyond basic dental work done. (Dentists are scared of her; the University is connected to a hospital.) Her care there has been so outstanding that she is now driving the hour just for a regular cleaning.:)

I appreciate all the info! Thank you!

The only reason it would be covered is because she is on state medical. Unfortunately, this is also the reason that nobody takes her insurance.

Chrisjo - Thank you for that first hand experience, as that is where we would be headed.