Menu

Adopt from the pound!

Thanks for sharing! When we get back from vacation, we are going to a rescue center down the street to adopt a dog. We've visited the place twice (without disturbing the dogs) to fill out the paper work. The girls are thrilled to bring home the 5th member of our family! :)

Pound here doesn't allow adoptions if there's a child under the age of 7 in the home (some have an age restriction of 12).

When we were looking, we couldn't find a dog that they'd ALLOW us to adopt :glare:

Same around here. They have so many restrictions at our local animal welfare place that I have no clue HOW any of these pets get adopted. (For dogs, one person must be home with the dog for the first month at all times on top of the age restrictions.)

Pound here doesn't allow adoptions if there's a child under the age of 7 in the home (some have an age restriction of 12).

When we were looking, we couldn't find a dog that they'd ALLOW us to adopt :glare:

If you're still looking for a pet, contact a rescue group. They pull dogs from the shelters, evaluate them, then adopt them out. The more dogs that are adopted, the more dogs the groups can rescue.:001_smile:

We currently have 3 foster dogs. All 3 were scheduled to be euthanized that day. :( When they are fully vetted (shots, spayed/neutered, URI and HW treated), they'll be adopted, then we'll get more foster dogs.

If you can't have a pet, rescue groups are always looking for donations for vet expenses.:001_smile: Even $10 makes a difference.

If you're still looking for a pet, contact a rescue group. They pull dogs from the shelters, evaluate them, then adopt them out. The more dogs that are adopted, the more dogs the groups can rescue.:001_smile:

We currently have 3 foster dogs. All 3 were scheduled to be euthanized that day. :( When they are fully vetted (shots, spayed/neutered, URI and HW treated), they'll be adopted, then we'll get more foster dogs.

If you can't have a pet, rescue groups are always looking for donations for vet expenses.:001_smile: Even $10 makes a difference.

This is what we are doing. :) They are really great at finding a fit for your family before you see the dogs. We've been in there twice to talk to them and tell them about our family. We've narrowed it down to a few dogs, so when we get back, we are going to see which one happens to be our new family member. It's a no-kill rescue shelter specializing in large dogs that most people don't want, or want for the wrong reasons.

And yet another reason you need to move down here... :D

I couldn't get health insurance, since RSD would be a 'pre existing condition'.

Nope, not looking anymore. We got our 'mini pony' almost 2 yrs ago now.

We looked at rescue groups too. They're pretty insane. They wanted home visits, unannounced visits, adoption fees were hundreds of dollars...it was a really invasive procedure. I've brought babies home from the hospital w/less scrutiny.

Our cat came from a rescue group though. :D

Tazzie wants a dog when we move. (And thanks to Remudamom, chickens :glare:) We'll probably get a pug again, and around here, small dogs pretty much don't exist at shelters...and when they are there, they're MORE expensive than the others, b/c they're small breeds, and they're worried about resale...and again, age restrictions.

Same around here. They have so many restrictions at our local animal welfare place that I have no clue HOW any of these pets get adopted. (For dogs, one person must be home with the dog for the first month at all times on top of the age restrictions.)

We've adopted a few shelter pups from rescue groups--all pit bulls, so you can imagine the hoops we had to jump through. We often joked through each round of paperwork, interviews, and home visits that it would be easier to adopt a human child. :tongue_smilie: I understand and appreciate the time some of these organizations expend to ensure the animal is going to a home that is a good match for both the dog/cat and the family. I also understand they want the best chance possible that the animal won't end up back in the rescue. And I am very glad that we have some great groups in our area that know and understand the "bully" breeds and take time to educate folks on how to be the best family for their pups, dispell myths, and try to be good ambassadors for often misunderstood breeds. But sometimes...wow. It really can be a process and yes, you do sometimes wonder how they find homes for animals at all! I think some groups need to work more on educating folks in an understanding and gentle way instead of immediately scaring them off with the intimidating process and unyielding expectations. I think, for every person who sticks with the process, there's another who simply says eff it and buys a puppy from some crackpot on the side of the road or from an ad in the local paper.

One of our current pups was set to be euthanized at 3 weeks of age, simply because of her breed. :crying: I am so glad that a local group pulled her and her littermates out of the shelter she was in. She is a wonderful, intelligent, and loving dog. I can't imagine not having her. She is, very simply put, a good dog!! :D

This is how we ended up with the dog we have. The closest shelter to us was 2 hours away. We went there thinking we could pick out a dog and bring it home. Nope. And they didn't want to spend the money for a home visit to drive so far to our house. So we went to the pet store and bought Baxter for $50.

The lady brought in 4 mixed puppies while we were browsing. They were all sold within minutes.

All of mine were strays we found, one someone was getting rid of because they didn't want to take the time to crate train it, fosters that we adopted because they were not good adoption candidates, or adopted at the shelter.

Our most recent was Bandit...we got him two days before he was scheduled to be euthanized. He's a hoot. We are a bit maxed out now though at 4 dogs and 5 cats. (plus the 4 horses!)

We've only had one pound dog and she was dumb as a post. However, she earned her puppy crunchies the day she tore into the neighbor's dog as he tried to pull my dds off their bikes. Did I mention she was dumb? She used to go to the river and try to paddle after the rafters--they'd pull her into the boat, raft to town and then dump her out and we'd have to go pick her up. We called her Sparkles the Wonder Mutt. She was part Lab and part hound and didn't bark, but howled. She'd been spayed at the vet school and had had a tumor taken off her back--so she looked like she'd been spayed from the top down. She could run like the wind.

I love Sparkles, sight unseen! <3

I'm surprised to hear so many people have had trouble with shelters and rescues.

When I was looking for a dog to adopt, I watched PetFinder daily. I had some requirements and a wish list. The problem I had was that I was allowed only a small dog according to our agreement with our landlord. I was looking for one who would be no more than 10 pounds as an adult.

Aside from that, I wanted a puppy because I wanted to maximize the chances that the dog would learn to get along with our cats (which half worked). I preferred a female, and for completely superficial reasons I wanted someone fluffy rather than short haired.

I found that, in our area, small dogs are the most popular. So, I had a couple of months of contacting rescues about a puppy only to be told she was already adopted. I made sure every rescue in town that dealt with small dogs knew I was looking.

Within a month, I found the listing for the puppy who became my Matilda. Her foster "mom" checked our vet reference and agreed to hold the puppy for me until she was ready to go home.

I paid a $60 adoption fee.

That was it.

At the time, I had two cats, two kids (one under 12) and no fenced backyard.

I really wanted to adopt through the pound, because I am aware that those dogs have the worst chance of finding homes. In our area, the vast majority of dogs in the county shelter are pits or pit mixes, which I wasn't allowed to have based on our lease. (They also aren't fluffy, but I would have over-looked that if everying else had fallen into place.)

I've now decided I will never be without a dog again. When my beloved Matilda eventually -- a long, long time from now! -- leaves me, my plan is to adopt an older dog who needs me.

And the pound will be the first place I look.

We have not actually jumped through the hoops with a rescue organization and I suspect we would not qualify by the standards of most. However, three of our dogs were unwanted and would have ended up in pounds or rescue organizations if we had not gotten them. One was rehomed to us after trespassing onto a neighbor's property to fight with their dog. Another was a stray puppy that a coworker of dh's felt sorry for and fed but did not want to keep. The final one was from a breeder who was fostering a dog that had become pregnant before rescue for a rescue. We had just bought a dog from her for a companion for our disabled dachshund. I think seeing a dachshund that had received back surgery and rehab rather than being put to sleep pretty much told her that our dogs receive excellent care.

We've gotten dogs from the pound, really good dogs.

I thought when I'm dogless again I'd get a pure bred Pom. I'm re-thinking that now.

My elder dog is getting up there and I had been thinking of getting some cute, designer-ish type dog but now, especially because the new dog is so fantastic - we'll probably end up back at the pound.

When I adopted our new guy, I'd been talking to the county shelter for a few weeks. I told them what we needed, I brought the kids with me and I told the shelter workers I couldn't go in the back and look at the cages. I cannot do that.

So they picked Riker for us. Riker leapt 4 feet into the air upon meeting us which made me nervous as heck but the shelter guy kinda shrugged his shoulder and reminded me that we'd asked for "enthusiasm." A year later, he's *almost* learned to keep his paws on the floor. :001_smile:

He is big. He can ram around with the kids like a maniac. He LOVES to spend the summer swimming with us. Occassionally, he knocks a kid over trying to lick them but meh. That's how you learn to pick yourself back up in life, right? :D

We often joked through each round of paperwork, interviews, and home visits that it would be easier to adopt a human child. :tongue_smilie:

That is TRUE here. We have adopted 3 special needs kids, fostered over 100 others but the local shelter/humane society will NOT approve us to adopt a dog..............kids, sure, we are fine for them, but not a dog.

The thing was that we wanted an outdoor, farm dog and while we had a fenced in back yard, indoor warm coop, etc. we could NOT adopt a dog.........until we found another rescue about an hour from here that had the very rare listed OUTDOOR dog. She was so scared and timid that it took weeks for her to trust us a bit and a very long time for her to even come into the house---even with the door wide open.

Now, 2 1/2 years later, she is lounging on my leather couch next to me, sleeps next to my bed, etc. She is an Australian Shepherd (or mix) and is a great farm dog. She runs loose around our 5 acres, plays with the horses, chickens, cats, etc. She goes on long 4 mile walks with me several times a week, etc. and she is inside all night and much of the day but we do put her outside when we leave for more than a few hours.

I know of a beautiful Aussie that will need to be rehomed in 7-8 months in So. CA when dd is deployed. Just thought I'd throw that out there. He is a high energy dog, but really fun. He comes with his own cat!

I just filled out an Aussie rescue application. :D for the midwest. :D

I'm surprised to hear so many people have had trouble with shelters and rescues.

I'm not. We adopted a cat a few months ago and we were given the third degree. It was ridiculous. It probably had a lot to do with the woman quizzing us looking like she just rolled out of bed and smoked a joint before coming in. That, and her comparing having an animal to having children. Anyway, DH sent me a link to this article: No Pet for You: Want to adopt a dog or cat? Prepare for an inquisition at the animal rescue. It seems we got off easy!

I had made my own thread, but we too are waiting hear back from a rescue group after a very detailed application. They like to do house inspections but since we live out of state, they can't.

I'm so nervous. It's very weird to feel like we wouldn't "qualify" to adopt a dog. Although, I'm really hoping it happens.

I am so excited, I made my husband stop the car in the church parking lot this weekend because I saw a car with the same breed we wanted leaning out the window. The poor owner, had no idea what kind of crazy mad woman had descended upon him wanting to pet his dog:D

My horse is a rescue (neighbors abandoned/starved him)

Cat is a rescue (lived 6 months at pound and we adopted him literally MINUTES before he was to be put down-- while we were their a new cat was brought in and our guy would have been put down to make room... we had just decided to take him when this all came about).

Dog is a rescue-- we DID go through a third-degree screening--- they almost said no because our backyard fence (1 ACRE fenced yard on 12 acre property) is only 5.5 feet tall- and not the REQUIRED 6ft! Dog was 'mostly dead' when a stranger found her and took her to our vet who volunteers for a local rescue group. Vet had US picked out for her all along- she was in "rehab" 6 months before she was adoptable.

Our next dog will not be a rescue-- he is coming from a well known breeder and is due in February!!! We will get him sometime in April (8-9 weeks of age). We recently lost a dog from this same breeder so the puppy is sort of a 'replacement' although the 'warranty' period had expired-- YES this breeder has health warranties!

I can only handle ONE rescue dog at a time-- our rescue dogs have all been trainable--but they have ALL had issues due to past abuse/neglect. If I had smaller dogs then I could probably handle more at one time... We like BIG dogs-- Tasha (current dog) is 'tiny' to us at 80 lbs!