Menu

What do you pay for private teaching per subject?

Hello all, have only been lurking lately but now have an Algebra I student to teach but do not know what is reasonable to charge. I am an experienced, graduate degreed former teacher/principal/educational therapist/homeschooler. In the Atlanta area tutoring is $30+. I charge a minimum of $50 per hour for educational therapy but I have only homeschooled my grandaughter and of course there was no $ involved. What do some of you pay for private teaching per subject? Teaching involves much more than tutoring in terms of prep, grading, record keeping, testing, etc. that a tutor doesn't have to do. Any help is appreciated. Let me know your geographical region when you respond. Thank you so much for any help you can give in this matter. We begin today but have only talked briefly about cost since initially the assignment was to tutor. I forgot to say he has Asperger's, OCD, ADHD and more issues.

Edited by Georgia On My Mind
error, additional informaton

I charge $35/hr for private music lessons, which I would think would be a similar ballpark figure. I'd also look at what the chains charge, and work from there. I'm in Memphis, which has a lower cost of living than Atlanta, but based on what DH has seen, a similar salary range for professional employees.

I pay $20/hour in Houston but I supply the curriculum, there isn't much planning since we use scripted materials and there is no testing or record keeping. The teacher introduces all new concepts. She's certified in math and has a special ed credential. I'd say this is a challenging job because Geezle has quite a lot of trouble with math and although he is well behaved for his tutor, he is autistic.

Edited by chiguirre

Great Girl charges $20/hr for math (she tutors high school math through calculus), but charges low for our area because of her age.

I pay another homeschooler $20 for a half hour of intensive oral German for Great Girl each week. $40/hr I think is probably on the low side for a native speaker, but she's a friend.

I charge less per hour the more hours they commit to attending. (Does that make sense?) It is my goal to be successful with my students. So if a parent will commit to 10 lessons I might charge $25 an hour vs $40 an hour for just a few lessons. I usually work with students who need help with their writing.

If you are near me in the Atlanta area - I might need to hire you for my dd. So charge on the lower end - please!!!

I charge $20 an hour, but I'm not certified. I also work with kids for the full year, usually twice a week. I don't offer casual sessions- but if I did I'd charge more for those.

In my area, this is the going rate, whether certified or not- Atlanta is certainly going to be able to support a higher hourly rate.

Thank you all for your valuable information. I am meeting with him at least 3 times a week for 1 1/2 hours. I have offered for his Mom to do have the cost in barter. I need wallpaper removed from an upstairs bathroom and repainted and she is a home project lady and a professional seamstress. That will help both of us out. I also have need of some cushions being made for our sailboat and she may be able to do that for us. I appreciate all the time and thoughts you shared.

Our first session was better than I had expected. My only trouble with him was lack of eye contact as I teach and we will have to work on that as we go. I realize that is a major problem for Aspie's, my grandson is one. We scheduled time in the session for him to talk about his favorite subject, "guns", and to show me demos of guns shooting on his I-Pod. Aspie's always like to talk about their iterests, hobbies or obsessions so we scheduled time in for that and he sets the time on his I-Pod which keeps him involved and makes him feel in control over some of the time. All in all I count our first session a great success. Please feel free to add more info on pricing if you have any.