Menu

30 gifts to 30 strangers in Sydney

Neat idea! I wonder- would folks around where I live be as accepting or would they be suspicious about someone giving gifts away? I'd hope they'd be gracious but I'm not so sure.

Several years ago our local florist gave out free flowers with the stipulation that you give them away to people. Our kids tried to give them to people we see on our errands- cashiers at stores we frequent, waiters at our favorite Mexican restaurant, utility workers and the folks delivering mail/packages. Even though our kids explained they were giving them as a token of appreciation for serving us with a smile, over half of the people declined the flowers- and it was just single long stemmed roses- surely they could have taken them and thrown them away when we were gone!

We ended up taking them to the nursing home, but they wouldn't let us hand them out- but they did take them from us and said they'd give them to residents.

Neat idea! I wonder- would folks around where I live be as accepting or would they be suspicious about someone giving gifts away? I'd hope they'd be gracious but I'm not so sure.

Last summer my sister and I had an extra pair of cruise/dinner tickets on the lake in Chicago and the about a half hour to find someone to give them to. We thought we'd be able to give them to the first couple who walked by but were surprised by how difficult it was to get someone to take them. We were turned down repeatedly, and looked upon with suspicion. Finally, after offering the tickets to more than 10 couples, we finally found a willing couple. Turns out is was the woman's birthday so it worked out rather well in the end. :001_smile:

Last summer my sister and I had an extra pair of cruise/dinner tickets on the lake in Chicago and the about a half hour to find someone to give them to. We thought we'd be able to give them to the first couple who walked by but were surprised by how difficult it was to get someone to take them. We were turned down repeatedly, and looked upon with suspicion. Finally, after offering the tickets to more than 10 couples, we finally found a willing couple. Turns out is was the woman's birthday so it worked out rather well in the end. :001_smile:

Hmm...we're about 90 minutes west of Chicago- wonder if it's a regional thing?

My sister and I were in DC and someone gave us 2 tour bus tickets they couldn't use. We were thrilled, and the lady was so relieved- she'd been trying to give them away for nearly an hour.

Back before the iPass was around, we'd occasionally have to go thru the manned toll booth because we didn't have the right change. We once tried to pay for the car behind us just to be nice and the toll guy asked us not to- he said it took too long to explain to the next driver why he didn't have to pay and that sometimes the driver insisted on paying anyway.

I really liked seeing this video- made me happy to see others not being suspicious of another human's kindness.