Menu

Can someone explain IEW to me?

mo2

I really don't understand how it works. What do you need to purchase? Is it the ONLY writing program you will need? Does it take you all the way through high school? Do you need the TWSS and/or the SWI? Is it consumable, or can it be reused with multiple students? Is it similar to SWB's writing philosophy?

Yes, it can be the only writing curriculum you ever need. The TWSS is a DVD workshop for the parent to teach you the method and how to teach it. If you want you could only purchase this and formulate your own lessons. The different level SWI are student workshops. They don't cover all 9 units, but they are all planned out for you and have DVDs for the kids to watch and learn and a binder with all the corresponding materials for the lessons. They also have SICC which continue on from the SWI and are also DVD lessons. Or if you don't want to do the student DVDs (or if they aren't in the budget) then they have themed writing lessons that are books.

IEW gives permission for all their products to be copied for use within a family.

There are difference between IEW and SWB's methodology, but I'll let someone who's a bit more experienced comment on that.

IEW also has the best return policy if you buy through them directly. If you don't like something, even if you've used it the whole year, you can return it and they will even pay the return shipping.

The people at IEW are very friendly and helpful if you want to contact them with questions.

I realize that this must sound like a commercial, but I'm not affiliated with them in any way except as a satisfied customer. IEW was the first writing program that improved my dd's writing and didn't make us both want to rip out our hair!

Yes, it can be the only writing curriculum you ever need. The TWSS is a DVD workshop for the parent to teach you the method and how to teach it. If you want you could only purchase this and formulate your own lessons. The different level SWI are student workshops. They don't cover all 9 units, but they are all planned out for you and have DVDs for the kids to watch and learn and a binder with all the corresponding materials for the lessons. They also have SICC which continue on from the SWI and are also DVD lessons. Or if you don't want to do the student DVDs (or if they aren't in the budget) then they have themed writing lessons that are books.

IEW gives permission for all their products to be copied for use within a family.

There are difference between IEW and SWB's methodology, but I'll let someone who's a bit more experienced comment on that.

IEW also has the best return policy if you buy through them directly. If you don't like something, even if you've used it the whole year, you can return it and they will even pay the return shipping.

The people at IEW are very friendly and helpful if you want to contact them with questions.

I realize that this must sound like a commercial, but I'm not affiliated with them in any way except as a satisfied customer. IEW was the first writing program that improved my dd's writing and didn't make us both want to rip out our hair!

Thank you. A few more questions, if you will. After your student finishes SWI A, do you then go on to SWI B, then C? What after that? Is that when you do the SICC? The program starts at about the 3rd grade level, correct? So do they skip copywork and dictation and go directly into composition? And this is *only* a writing program, so I would need to add grammar and spelling? Thanks again!

If you start with SWI A you will NEVER do SWI B or C... instead you will do SICC A, followed by B and then C.

This is a visual representation of the paths you can take.

My children started with SWI A, then we did Medieval History, they begged to do SICC A, my younger took a class I taught at coop. We are continuing through SICC A... they love the videos and love Andrew's humor. I believe they see me as HELPING them when he teaches, rather then trying to meet my expectations when I teach them.

I have friends using the PAL program and it is WONDERFUL! I wish I was having another child so we could use it. But, DH says it is NO reason to add another child just use a great program!

Go to http://www.excellenceinwriting.com. On the bottom right corner is a link to their magalog. On page four I believe is a progression chart to follow. It's very helpful.

No matter what you choose start with you watching the TWSS. We are using Student Writing Intensive C because it's fun to have Andrew Pudewa teach my son on the DVD. However I have watched the TWSS twice to help me understand the process and know how to help my son with his assignments. It's very useful. You could possibly get by with just the SWI but having the TWSS is so helpful.

Edited by scrapbabe

I have friends using the PAL program and it is WONDERFUL! I wish I was having another child so we could use it. But, DH says it is NO reason to add another child just use a great program!

I disagree. Finding a curriculum you love and want to use is a great reason to have another child! :lol:

I disagree. Finding a curriculum you love and want to use is a great reason to have another child! :lol:

:iagree: Thank you!

As for not having the TWSS dvds, you do not need to OWN them... however can you borrow them from some... maybe a library (homeschooling or public). They are incredibly helpful... for many make or break helpful. I hate watching tv at all, I just cannot sit and watch like that. I tried at first without (about a month) then borrowed TWSS from a friend. I liked it so much and my children were so young I bought it. I want to be able to reference it from time to time.

OH also, there is GREAT active yahoo group for IEW: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IEWfamilies/

They are very good at answering questions, there are many helpful files and LOTS of experience and help once you get started. When I first started I would ask questions ALL THE TIME... sometimes I had the answer I needed in less than 30 minutes! Most of the time less than a day!

I wish I was having another child so we could use it. But, DH says it is NO reason to add another child just use a great program!

Ooh, you should do a poll here. I bet your DH will be outvoted! ;)

But seriously, thank you for answering my questions. I was confused about the progression.

I guess I doubt my teaching ability. Can I really teach IEW? (Yes, I am aware that you don't know the answer to that question.)

If you start with SWI A you will NEVER do SWI B or C... instead you will do SICC A, followed by B and then C.

This is a visual representation of the paths you can take.

My children started with SWI A, then we did Medieval History, they begged to do SICC A, my younger took a class I taught at coop. We are continuing through SICC A... they love the videos and love Andrew's humor. I believe they see me as HELPING them when he teaches, rather then trying to meet my expectations when I teach them.

Can you please explain the sequence of IEW? So we start with SWI A, and then go on to SICC A. What do we do after that? Is it SWI B or SICC B? It will be helpful to see the sequence. Thanks!

Can you please explain the sequence of IEW? So we start with SWI A, and then go on to SICC A. What do we do after that? Is it SWI B or SICC B? It will be helpful to see the sequence. Thanks!

The link someone gave earlier in the thread to the magalog helps, although I'm still not sure I get it exactly.

The sequence is at http://www.excellenceinwriting.com. bottom right corner click on magalog. Page four I think.

Shalynn, so let me make sure I understand this: Say I'm starting in grade 3. I would start with SWI A (as per the bottom row on the diagram) then jump up to the top row of the diagram and follow it on out? So we would eventually end up doing SICC A, B, and C, with other things mixed in?

The link someone gave earlier in the thread to the magalog helps, although I'm still not sure I get it exactly.

If you were not going to use the theme based, and wanted to just use the DVD and you started in SWI-A the sequence would be...

SWI A, SICC A, SICC B, SICC C then something like Elegant Essay, Windows to the World, and Highschool Essay Intensive.

If you started with SWI B you'd go to SICC B and SICC C

If you started with SWI C you'd to to SICC C

But if your child needs more time to learn or you want to review what they've learned then a theme-based writing would be a good follow up after any of the SWI dvds. If not, you'd move into a SICC.

Does that make sense?

The magalog tells you where to go based on what age/grade you start with.

Does that help at all?

Shalynn, so let me make sure I understand this: Say I'm starting in grade 3. I would start with SWI A (as per the bottom row on the diagram) then jump up to the top row of the diagram and follow it on out? So we would eventually end up doing SICC A, B, and C, with other things mixed in?

Yes, that's right.:D You wouldn't have to do all those theme-based books in between, but they would give good practice and really cement the learning.

Sorry, just wanted to add... that there's a link at their website (on the left) to sign up for the 2012 Magalog which comes out in March. If you do you get four free downloadable talks by Andrew Pudewa (the guy on the DVDs). They are great! I am not affiliated with them, just a huge fan!

Yes, that's right.:D You wouldn't have to do all those theme-based books in between, but they would give good practice and really cement the learning.

Thank you! I think I got confused looking at the chart because of all the theme-based books, which I didn't *think* were essential to the program, but then after I looked at the chart, I second guessed myself. You have cleared it up nicely!

I guess I doubt my teaching ability. Can I really teach IEW? (Yes, I am aware that you don't know the answer to that question.)

Yes, you can. ;) IEW's things are I think easier to use than to pick out.

I agree with PP who say it's very helpful to watch the TWSS first (or at least some ahead of where you kids are.) If you ask around to some Homeschoolers you know irl someone might have it that you can borrow.

If you wind up having questions the yahoo group a PP posted a link to is active, very helpful, and usually very quick about answering questions.

If you were not going to use the theme based, and wanted to just use the DVD and you started in SWI-A the sequence would be...

SWI A, SICC A, SICC B, SICC C then something like Elegant Essay, Windows to the World, and Highschool Essay Intensive.

If you started with SWI B you'd go to SICC B and SICC C

If you started with SWI C you'd to to SICC C

But if your child needs more time to learn or you want to review what they've learned then a theme-based writing would be a good follow up after any of the SWI dvds. If not, you'd move into a SICC.

Does that make sense?

The magalog tells you where to go based on what age/grade you start with.

Does that help at all?

Thank you so much! I have never understood the progression--or maybe just didn't make the effort--and am very glad to have some clarity!

Lisa

IEW has a one of the most helpful yahoo groups I've seen. If you are new to IEW or even in the contemplating stage I would highly, highly recommend joining. Although you got great answers here. :001_smile:

I am not experienced enough with IEW/SWB to answer your question on this. I am using both.

We just started IEW part way through 3rd--I wish I'd found this even sooner! We started with TWSS AND SWI-A. I also got All Things Fun and Fascinating, but think I will be returning that part of it. I like SWI-A better, and they aren't both needed, I think the film aspect helps a lot at least for my particular child. Probably after SWI-A, we will go to SICC-A continuation course, and will probably try to increasingly use it across the curriculum, rather than to use the theme based programs. I'm not planning farther than that at this moment, but am thinking of adding the Poetry memorization program, as the next thing I add sooner rather than later, I hope.

Can I just use the SWI without buying the TWSS? I have the SWI B and the TWSS book but no dvd for TWSS. I was planning on just watching the SWI with my daughter. Will that work? Thank you!

It works, in that Andrew does a good job of teaching the writing. But watching the TWSS helps you to understand the process and be a better guide/teacher for your child. Although the SWI will do a good job of teaching, it will help you in grading/editing and in answering questions for your student if you have a sound understanding of the process. Watching the TWSS and stopping to do the writing assignments is enlightening. It's preferable to have them. I would see if someone you know could lend them to you. I would if you lived close.:D

IEW has a one of the most helpful yahoo groups I've seen. If you are new to IEW or even in the contemplating stage I would highly, highly recommend joining. Although you got great answers here. :001_smile:

I am not experienced enough with IEW/SWB to answer your question on this. I am using both.

:iagree:

It works, in that Andrew does a good job of teaching the writing. But watching the TWSS helps you to understand the process and be a better guide/teacher for your child. Although the SWI will do a good job of teaching, it will help you in grading/editing and in answering questions for your student if you have a sound understanding of the process. Watching the TWSS and stopping to do the writing assignments is enlightening. It's preferable to have them. I would see if someone you know could lend them to you. I would if you lived close.:D

Thank you. Do I watch all TWSS before I start the SWI lesson or each of the DVD of the TWSS corresponds with each lesson of SWI?

Thank you. Do I watch all TWSS before I start the SWI lesson or each of the DVD of the TWSS corresponds with each lesson of SWI?

I did, I also watched it in a manner that I could speed up the DVD. Andrew used to live in California, but talks too slowly for the Cali Girl. I used my laptop dvd player, but have heard of others using a blueray player... speed up to 2x or 4x, which is NOT really that fast. Then, if I miss something, which sometimes I did, I listened again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for All Things Fun and Fasc... I taught a coop using and my DD was in class with us. She had already been through SWI A and I felt this was a step backwards.

We do use checklists and paragraphs or books from other sources to use the skills my children have already learned in other subjects. Most specifically history! Though, we have done this a little in science too!

I didn't. Maybe it would have helped to have the background of the whole of TWSS first--but not doing so allowed us to just start right in and Do It, without feeling overwhelmed. It seems like some posters (other threads) had gotten overwhelmed by the whole of TWSS and feeling like they couldn't manage. With Andrew to teach direct to the child(ren) right from the start, and my watching the TWSS part by part as we go--or sometimes getting somewhat ahead--it does not feel overwhelming. And it is happening. And I see progress.

• 2 weeks later...

I was searching for thoughts on IEW and came across this thread which actually isn't THAT old, but I feel like I'm resurrecting it because this board is so busy!

Anyhoo, to answer the OP's question about needing a spelling and grammar program in addition to IEW... I was confused about this, too! So I emailed IEW and asked and Jill Pike (the lady who wrote PAL) emailed me back and said you do NOT need an extra grammar program because it will be overkill. I'm already using All About Spelling (which does cover some grammar; I'm not sure how much because we're not done with Level 1 yet). She basically said IEW plus AAS is perfect. So I'm not sure exactly how SWI covers grammar, but apparently it does.

I have heard people say that watching TWSS is a *MUST,* otherwise, you are risking failure using any of IEW's other products (and maybe failure in teaching writing altogether since a lot of people have trouble in this area).

Hope that helps.

I'm so excited to try IEW! And excited for pay day so I can order it. LOL (I hope :glare:)

I was searching for thoughts on IEW and came across this thread which actually isn't THAT old, but I feel like I'm resurrecting it because this board is so busy!

Anyhoo, to answer the OP's question about needing a spelling and grammar program in addition to IEW... I was confused about this, too! So I emailed IEW and asked and Jill Pike (the lady who wrote PAL) emailed me back and said you do NOT need an extra grammar program because it will be overkill. I'm already using All About Spelling (which does cover some grammar; I'm not sure how much because we're not done with Level 1 yet). She basically said IEW plus AAS is perfect. So I'm not sure exactly how SWI covers grammar, but apparently it does.

I have heard people say that watching TWSS is a *MUST,* otherwise, you are risking failure using any of IEW's other products (and maybe failure in teaching writing altogether since a lot of people have trouble in this area).

Hope that helps.

I'm so excited to try IEW! And excited for pay day so I can order it. LOL (I hope :glare:)

Thanks for chiming in. I'm waiting on my IEW order to arrive, so then maybe I can get a better idea of how it teaches grammar. We already use AAS, so we'll stick with that. As far as grammar, I doubt if I'll drop FLL, but we'll see. If the SWI really does cover grammar, then I can decide what to do.

Thanks for chiming in. I'm waiting on my IEW order to arrive, so then maybe I can get a better idea of how it teaches grammar. We already use AAS, so we'll stick with that. As far as grammar, I doubt if I'll drop FLL, but we'll see. If the SWI really does cover grammar, then I can decide what to do.

I listened to a lot of the TWSS, and Mr. Pudewa said that he doesn't like grammar programs. I am not sure exactly how IEW teaches grammar, but it may be more from osmosis than by explicit teaching. I am doing IEW for writing currently with a third grader, but he hasn't learned much grammar from the program. I am glad that we have also been using R&S English. Perhaps my kids would eventually learn all of the grammar they need if they continue with IEW every year, but I don't really want to risk it.

Maybe someone who has been using IEW for a while could chime in on the grammar question. I would be interested to hear more opinions.

I listened to a lot of the TWSS, and Mr. Pudewa said that he doesn't like grammar programs. I am not sure exactly how IEW teaches grammar, but it may be more from osmosis than by explicit teaching. I am doing IEW for writing currently with a third grader, but he hasn't learned much grammar from the program. I am glad that we have also been using R&S English. Perhaps my kids would eventually learn all of the grammar they need if they continue with IEW every year, but I don't really want to risk it.

Maybe someone who has been using IEW for a while could chime in on the grammar question. I would be interested to hear more opinions.

Well it's not by osmosis, but it's not taught like a grammar program teaches grammar. All of the dress-ups and sentence openers he teaches are basically adverbial clause or other such things but he doesn't call them that. He doesn't reference nouns or verbs or types of speech really. Maybe a little. I think you learn a lot of grammar only without the grammar terminology, does that make sense? They also sell Fix It Grammar which is essentially learning/applying grammar through editing. This prepares students for the SAT or ACT tests, as these are the types of questions that will appear on those types of tests.

If the SWI really does cover grammar, then I can decide what to do.
Bits in SWI by use, as in they are required to use a "which clause" for the first lessons of SWI-A.

But TWSS, I believe it was, gave an idea for grammar that has worked well for us (even if that is not the source of the idea it has worked quite well). this was to notice errors, and then instead of correcting them on the child's composition, at a later date, write out sentences with that sort of error and let the child correct the adult's work. it is less upsetting to the child to do it that way. so, for example, if I had noticed that my child was not using capitals to start sentences, and if I were working on that, then my child could correct these past three sentences with big red marks for practice. At a certain point, one must expect that things the child knows how to do will be done, but the idea is not to work on too many things all at once.

Edited by Pen

We did SWI A before any formal grammar. I used correct terminology for what my children already knew (-ly dress up is actually an adverb). As my children started delving deeper into grammar, I point out how much of it they already know from IEW. Also, we started (then stopped and will start again) using Fix-it.

We stopped because DD (8) could not keep up with DS (10) and I think by fall she will have the knowledge she needs to keep pace.

I would not feel comfortable using NO extra grammar ever, while doing IEW. However, I do think that it is great that they can use the grammar, even before knowing it. Kind of like talking and not knowing what a noun is or a verb.

We did SWI A before any formal grammar. I used correct terminology for what my children already knew (-ly dress up is actually an adverb). As my children started delving deeper into grammar, I point out how much of it they already know from IEW. Also, we started (then stopped and will start again) using Fix-it.

We stopped because DD (8) could not keep up with DS (10) and I think by fall she will have the knowledge she needs to keep pace.

I would not feel comfortable using NO extra grammar ever, while doing IEW. However, I do think that it is great that they can use the grammar, even before knowing it. Kind of like talking and not knowing what a noun is or a verb.

I think we'll still do FLL for now. It only takes us 10 or 15 minutes, so there's not much to gain by dropping it.

My TWSS and SWI A arrived 2 days ago, and can you believe I haven't even had a chance to look at them? It's still in the wrapping even!

quiet little hint... throw your TWSS into a DVD player that can be sped up. My laptop has one, I understand BlueRay does too. This seems a bit like given Andrew some caffeine, except that IF you miss something you can rewind and slow him back down for a bit.

Also, do not have any fear of starting SWI A because you have not wrapped your noggin all the way around TWSS, you do NOT need to. Just watch TWSS, watch SWI A with your children. Later, you can watch TWSS again and later again... as your children progress, you will get different tidbits out of the dvds.

quiet little hint... throw your TWSS into a DVD player that can be sped up. My laptop has one, I understand BlueRay does too. This seems a bit like given Andrew some caffeine, except that IF you miss something you can rewind and slow him back down for a bit.

Also, do not have any fear of starting SWI A because you have not wrapped your noggin all the way around TWSS, you do NOT need to. Just watch TWSS, watch SWI A with your children. Later, you can watch TWSS again and later again... as your children progress, you will get different tidbits out of the dvds.

I agree. I didn't realize you could actually hear the sound on my blue ray until I was ff through this and then realized I much preferred it that way!

We use IEW SWA-A at home mixed with their American History I writing book through CC. We also use FLL4 and it is not overkill by any means. We also use IEW's Fix-It as a morning warm up and love it when DS will go beyond what's asked for and will tie in what he's learned in FLL. For instance, he'll diagram a sentence on the whiteboard simply because it's within his ability and he thinks he can.

Using Fix-It his editing skill have increased dramatically and he's come to understand grammar threads we've not yet covered in FLL or his writing program. In my opinion it all ties in beautifully.

Jim