Menu

RS A or MEP 1 for Kindergarten

Bokons

I am trying to decide between the two for my ds5. He is going to school 2 days a week right now for K, and I plan on homeschooling him for grade 1 in September.

Right now, I am using RS A with him, and we just finished lesson 13, but ds can't tell how many beads or fingers I am holding, if it's more than 5, without counting them. I don't know whether we are going to fast, or whether RS is just not a good fit for him. I know we haven't gotten far, but I feel frustrated that he's not seeing the quantities. Ds also gets fidgety around the middle to the end of the lesson and starts acting silly.

I wonder if MEP would work better for him. He does seem to like worksheets. Does MEP use a lot of manipulatives? I took a look at it, and wonder if all the posters, transparencies and other things are necessary?

Can anyone compare the two math programs and advise?

Thanks.

Do you have the Yellow is the Sun CD? I would prompt him, "how many blue beads? How many beads? Yellow is the sun, what is five and one?"

Though, I can't comment much past that because we went MEP/SM/Miquon combo and it's been perfect for my oldest. You might consider picking up some c rods and see how he does playing with those.

Do you have the Yellow is the Sun CD? I would prompt him, "how many blue beads? How many beads? Yellow is the sun, what is five and one?"

Though, I can't comment much past that because we went MEP/SM/Miquon combo and it's been perfect for my oldest. You might consider picking up some c rods and see how he does playing with those.

I don't have the CD, but since it's in the back of the book, I try to play it on the piano while we sing it. Ds doesn't know all the words yet.

I would say kept at it with Rightstart, my 4.5 year old at first couldn't see the amount above 5 either without counting. I wasn't sure if it was going to work out, but we are one lesson 33 now and he is doing excellent.

The yellow in the sun song definitly helped. We would sing it together while cleaning up, playing with toys..etc.

Playing the matching game with the bead cards also helped a lot with my 4.5 year old to learn to see the amounts. Even my 3.5 year old joins in and he is learning a lot from just the games.

Hope this helps!

How long has it taken your dd to get through Reception?

I don't know. :tongue_smilie: We started it for Pre-K a year ago, got sidetracked, then I decided to try Singapore K, didn't like it much, and finally went back to MEP (and wondered why I'd left?!?!). We do half or all of a lesson every day, and she's finished most of it since the start of the school year. Next week we start MEP 1.