Menu

3rd grades language arts...is WWE & FLL enough?

susesmiles

I've just begun planning for 3rd grade. For those of you who have 'been there, done that', please tell me, is this enough for 3rd grade language arts:

Writing With Ease Level 3

First Language Lessons Level 3

Abeka Spelling Level 3

I've been using Abeka for K-2 and sporadically working in WWE and FLL this past year. As I look at Abeka 3rd grade language arts, it looks a lot like the WWE & FLL. So I'm thinking of doing all WWE & FLL, what do you think?

Plus, what do you use for a 3rd grade reading program? I do not like the Abeka reading program, it does not work well for my child.

I'm in there now. Ds8 is in 3rd now, and we're using:

WWE 2

PLL

VIE 3 student text as a reference and resource when needed

Whole books for reading and reading aloud

Copywork and written narrations on days we don't do WWE (Tue and Thu)

I chucked formal spelling, but I may try using Natural Speller again next year.

I'm in there now. Ds8 is in 3rd now, and we're using:

WWE 2

PLL

VIE 3 student text as a reference and resource when needed

Whole books for reading and reading aloud

Copywork and written narrations on days we don't do WWE (Tue and Thu)

I chucked formal spelling, but I may try using Natural Speller again next year.

What is VIE 3?

I've just begun planning for 3rd grade. For those of you who have 'been there, done that', please tell me, is this enough for 3rd grade language arts:

Writing With Ease Level 3

First Language Lessons Level 3

Abeka Spelling Level 3

I've been using Abeka for K-2 and sporadically working in WWE and FLL this past year. As I look at Abeka 3rd grade language arts, it looks a lot like the WWE & FLL. So I'm thinking of doing all WWE & FLL, what do you think?

Plus, what do you use for a 3rd grade reading program? I do not like the Abeka reading program, it does not work well for my child.

WWE, FLL and some spelling would be plenty. I wouldn't add Abeka language onto FLL as it would be an awful lot during the week.

On reading. For my kids who were independent readers, I assigned lots of books related to our history period, fun science readings and articles printed from the internet (mostly of cool science or historical discoveries).

For my youngest, who struggled more with reading, I did controlled readers like Usborne Beginners books, or DK level 3 & 4 readers. When I found a book he liked, we would stick with the series until he'd read them all or tired of it. I had him read a lot to himself and read some to me (he'd read a chapter to himself and maybe a page or two to me).

I'm so trilled to say that he's reading the last Hunger Games book. There were long days when I thought I'd failed him entirely with reading. So happy to see him get lost in a book.:D